What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Bridesmaid and Hangover 2. Both funny as hell.

2. cretaceous_cretin

cretaceous_cretin Senior member

Bridesmaid and Hangover 2. Both funny as hell.

+1 for Bridesmaids. Hilarious! Watched "The Conspirator", wanted to hang myself - incredibly depressing.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

I'm hearing enough good things about Bridesmaids that I may just catch a matinee sometime.

Saw Cave of Forgotten Dreams on Sunday. When Werner injects himself and makes himself part of the story, it really really suffers. Thankfully that is no more than 10% of the film and when he does it is only momentarily. See it in 3D if you can. I didn't.

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I saw Lincoln Lawyer a couple weeks ago. Pretty intense.
    Sort of difficult to see Matthew McConaughey as a lawyer, it kept my interest the whole time.

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I'm hearing enough good things about Bridesmaids that I may just catch a matinee sometime.

Saw Cave of Forgotten Dreams on Sunday. When Werner injects himself and makes himself part of the story, it really really suffers. Thankfully that is no more than 10% of the film and when he does it is only momentarily. See it in 3D if you can. I didn't.

I'm dying to see this in 3D.

Sort of difficult to see Matthew McConaughey as a lawyer, it kept my interest the whole time.

I'm looking forward to seeing this, I really liked the book.

6. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

"Even the Rain" is a superb film, in Spanish with English subtitles. "Mesrine" is a two part , true story crime epic, in French with English subtitles. "Starmaker" is a great Italian film.

Anything by French director Luc Besson. Feel free to inquire. I know a little about film.

http://lordbyronsrevenge.blogspot.com/

7. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    I'm looking forward to seeing this, I really liked the book.

I hope you enjoy it. The only other Michael Connelly book that I am aware of being made into a film was Blood Work, starring Clint Eastwood, which was a horrible effort.

8. mellow

mellow Well-Known Member

9. mellow

mellow Well-Known Member

I re-watched Mulholland Drive yesterday evening with some friends. I'd almost forgotten how much I love that movie. My head is still spinning in a million directions. Great stuff.

Love that one, gets better every time I see it. The dialogue in the board room, the casting interview, the "silencio" night club scene, the cowboy character, when he takes that golf club to the limousine, it's all perfect. I felt like I understood the satire and mechanics of the movie on second viewing. Same experience with American Psycho. Was a little bewildered the first time I saw it, but the second time I was just laughing almost the whole way through.

Check out Amistad if you haven't already. The movie's great for a number of other reasons, but he's also a lawyer in that one.

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I hope you enjoy it. The only other Michael Connelly book that I am aware of being made into a film was Blood Work, starring Clint Eastwood, which was a horrible effort.

I didn't hate Blood Work, but it sure could have been better.

11. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I didn't hate Blood Work, but it sure could have been better.
    Last twenty minutes or so is pretty bad. Still more watchable than either of the movies Clint won all the Oscars for.

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Last twenty minutes or so is pretty bad. Still more watchable than either of the movies Clint won all the Oscars for.

Yep, it goes completely off the rails towards the end. Jeff Daniels was incredibly miscast.

13. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Jeff Daniels was incredibly miscast.

Bingo. I wish Daniels would work more. I like him. Kind of weird when you're known for your dramatic acting, but your crowning achievement in cinema is taking a dump.

14. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Bingo. I wish Daniels would work more. I like him. Kind of weird when you're known for your dramatic acting, but your crowning achievement in cinema is taking a dump.

[​IMG]

I like him too. I think my favorite Daniels movie is a very underrated picture called "Timescape" (aka Grand Tour: Disaster in Time).

15. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Re-watching Gran Torino on TNT. Absolutely love this movie. In an ideal world I see myself living life as an old man the way Walt Kowalski did.

The dialog between Walt and the barber is priceless.

Aren't too many other movies with a better set of racial slurs either.