Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

interestig. did not know that.

see ed! how can you doubt the BL is a classic for all times! harumph. :mad:

2. Lionheart Biker

Lionheart Biker Senior member

Drive, it was awesome. Loved the slow pace of the movie in general, as well the well placed slow motion shots. Like in "valhalla rising" the sometimes lack of dialogue gave it great intensity. The chase scenes and amping the speed and pace of the movie provided a constrat with the rest of it and I liked how he the violence and gorey scenes were kinda cronenberg-esques. Just the right amount but with great visual strength and violent enough so you wouldn´t need more. Something else that reminded of "valhalla" was how the color red stood out in a lot of scenes. The 80s (?) vibe from the soundtrack plus gosling and the satin scorpion jacket topped it off. Must see.

3. why

why Senior member

No Country for Old Men is like most Coen Brothers movies -- no focus throughout the movie keeps the audience wondering what will happen (and nothing else is interesting or worthwhile, so there's really only the plot to care about) and at the end of the movie there's no satisfactory conclusion. For me, this means I wasted over 90 minutes of my life. Fargo, for example, was a 90-minute joke about Minnesotans clumsily woven into a police drama (ooooh....genre-bending!). No Country for Old Men tried to show how Javier Bardem's character was a new type of challenge for Tommy Lee Jones, but there's only a hint of that at the end of the movie when there's nowhere to go with it.

Their movies are, for the most part, garbage.

One of the major problems they have is the same as in Tarantino movies -- too much pointless crap (often dialogue). And the writing is transparently idiotic but I can see why it might appeal to people who are used to reading crap like Cormac Mccarthy (or really any American author besides a select few, because they really only differ by varying degrees of terrible).

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

4. why

why Senior member

Another example of a bad movie that people -- perhaps because of their own relative boredom -- are entertained by. The whole situation was ridiculous from about 30 minutes in where the creators suddenly seemed to realize the movie was going to pass by without purpose so they jerked it in another direction. So what starts off as one boring movie ends up looking like a Sopranos spin-off (although the exploding heads and gruesome death sequences keep the audience awake).

5. in stitches

but y you gotta hate man? :(

6. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Snow White and the Huntsman. I wasn't as blown away as I thought I'd be. Passable film though.

7. Regg

Regg Senior member

hmmm nope, you are wrong

name me a few movies from the last 20 years that you think are great

8. zissou

zissou Senior member

Part of what I liked about No Country for Old Men was that there wasn't a typical Hollywood resolution at the end. Rarely does the 'bad guy' win in movies these days, so it was a nice change of pace. As the title of the movie implies, Tommy lee Jones' character wasn't successful in catching Bardem's character because he was getting old and doubting himself.

IMO, Drive was one of the best movies (that I've seen) of the past couple of years.

9. Neos

Neos Well-Known Member

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and Belle de Jour.

10. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

You movie lovers have a good list of top movies that I can use as a reference? New, old, etc.. I need to get a bunch of movies to take with me while I'm on the road.

11. Regg

Regg Senior member

If you can narrow down what you want I can throw you some suggestions. Where you plan on getting the movies, what kinda stuff like you like, genres etc.

12. in stitches

want to see that.

13. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Pretty much anything but musicals. I don't know, any great movies. Like a top all-time list or something. Obviously, I'll probably have seen most of them. Just looking for a few that I might have missed, or need to watch again to get back in the memory banks. Maybe a few sleepers here and there.

14. Regg

Regg Senior member

How about Grand Illusion and Army of Shadows

15. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Nope. Are they in French? Do I need to look for versions with subtitles?

Keep em coming.