• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drive, it was awesome. Loved the slow pace of the movie in general, as well the well placed slow motion shots. Like in "valhalla rising" the sometimes lack of dialogue gave it great intensity. The chase scenes and amping the speed and pace of the movie provided a constrat with the rest of it and I liked how he the violence and gorey scenes were kinda cronenberg-esques. Just the right amount but with great visual strength and violent enough so you wouldn´t need more. Something else that reminded of "valhalla" was how the color red stood out in a lot of scenes. The 80s (?) vibe from the soundtrack plus gosling and the satin scorpion jacket topped it off. Must see.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No Country for Old Men is like most Coen Brothers movies -- no focus throughout the movie keeps the audience wondering what will happen (and nothing else is interesting or worthwhile, so there's really only the plot to care about) and at the end of the movie there's no satisfactory conclusion. For me, this means I wasted over 90 minutes of my life. Fargo, for example, was a 90-minute joke about Minnesotans clumsily woven into a police drama (ooooh....genre-bending!). No Country for Old Men tried to show how Javier Bardem's character was a new type of challenge for Tommy Lee Jones, but there's only a hint of that at the end of the movie when there's nowhere to go with it.

Their movies are, for the most part, garbage.

One of the major problems they have is the same as in Tarantino movies -- too much pointless crap (often dialogue). And the writing is transparently idiotic but I can see why it might appeal to people who are used to reading crap like Cormac Mccarthy (or really any American author besides a select few, because they really only differ by varying degrees of terrible).

Last edited:

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Drive, it was awesome. Loved the slow pace of the movie in general, as well the well placed slow motion shots. Like in "valhalla rising" the sometimes lack of dialogue gave it great intensity. The chase scenes and amping the speed and pace of the movie provided a constrat with the rest of it and I liked how he the violence and gorey scenes were kinda cronenberg-esques. Just the right amount but with great visual strength and violent enough so you wouldn´t need more. Something else that reminded of "valhalla" was how the color red stood out in a lot of scenes. The 80s (?) vibe from the soundtrack plus gosling and the satin scorpion jacket topped it off. Must see.

Another example of a bad movie that people -- perhaps because of their own relative boredom -- are entertained by. The whole situation was ridiculous from about 30 minutes in where the creators suddenly seemed to realize the movie was going to pass by without purpose so they jerked it in another direction. So what starts off as one boring movie ends up looking like a Sopranos spin-off (although the exploding heads and gruesome death sequences keep the audience awake).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No Country for Old Men is like most Coen Brothers movies -- no focus throughout the movie keeps the audience wondering what will happen (and nothing else is interesting or worthwhile, so there's really only the plot to care about) and at the end of the movie there's no satisfactory conclusion. For me, this means I wasted over 90 minutes of my life. Fargo, for example, was a 90-minute joke about Minnesotans clumsily woven into a police drama (ooooh....genre-bending!). No Country for Old Men tried to show how Javier Bardem's character was a new type of challenge for Tommy Lee Jones, but there's only a hint of that at the end of the movie when there's nowhere to go with it.
One of the major problems they have is the same as in Tarantino movies -- too much pointless crap (often dialogue). And the writing is transparently idiotic but I can see why it might appeal to people who are used to reading crap like Cormac Mccarthy (or really any American author besides a select few, because they really only differ by varying degrees of terrible).

but y you gotta hate man? :(

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Snow White and the Huntsman. I wasn't as blown away as I thought I'd be. Passable film though.

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Another example of a bad movie that people -- perhaps because of their own relative boredom -- are entertained by. The whole situation was ridiculous from about 30 minutes in where the creators suddenly seemed to realize the movie was going to pass by without purpose so they jerked it in another direction. So what starts off as one boring movie ends up looking like a Sopranos spin-off (although the exploding heads and gruesome death sequences keep the audience awake).

hmmm nope, you are wrong

name me a few movies from the last 20 years that you think are great

Last edited:

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Part of what I liked about No Country for Old Men was that there wasn't a typical Hollywood resolution at the end. Rarely does the 'bad guy' win in movies these days, so it was a nice change of pace. As the title of the movie implies, Tommy lee Jones' character wasn't successful in catching Bardem's character because he was getting old and doubting himself.

IMO, Drive was one of the best movies (that I've seen) of the past couple of years.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
You movie lovers have a good list of top movies that I can use as a reference? New, old, etc.. I need to get a bunch of movies to take with me while I'm on the road.

Last edited:

Regg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You movie lovers have a good list of top movies that I can use as a reference? New, old, etc.. I need to get a bunch of movies to take with me while I'm on the road.

If you can narrow down what you want I can throw you some suggestions. Where you plan on getting the movies, what kinda stuff like you like, genres etc.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

If you can narrow down what you want I can throw you some suggestions. Where you plan on getting the movies, what kinda stuff like you like, genres etc.

Pretty much anything but musicals. I don't know, any great movies. Like a top all-time list or something. Obviously, I'll probably have seen most of them. Just looking for a few that I might have missed, or need to watch again to get back in the memory banks. Maybe a few sleepers here and there.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

How about Grand Illusion and Army of Shadows

Nope. Are they in French? Do I need to look for versions with subtitles?

Keep em coming.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pans labyrinth
shawshank
goodfellas
toy story
fight club
role models
anchorman
green mile
forrest gump
inside man
the losers
pulp fiction
kill bill 1 and 2
cool hand luke
one flew over the....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads