• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is your opinion on it though?

I have had it my NF queue for months and yet every time I come across it pass it by for some reason.

It is amazing/excellent Coen Bros or it exhausting/too cute Coen Bros?
Each story is too different to say. The Tom Waites one will have you choked up by the end and there's virtually no words. The titular ballad is a musical that is really clever but not necessarily meaty (not in a bad way). The collection overall is very good.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
/\ Tom Waits story was the best. /\
Each story is too different to say. The Tom Waites one will have you choked up by the end and there's virtually no words. The titular ballad is a musical that is really clever but not necessarily meaty (not in a bad way). The collection overall is very good.
Wait, Tom Waits is in "Ballad of Buster..."?

I will definitely watch it then!

(As an Italian, imo "Down by Law" aka "daunbailo" was filmic Tom Waits at his finest, really great.)

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

(As an Italian, imo "Down by Law" aka "daunbailo" was filmic Tom Waits at his finest, really great.)
Awwww baby not the boots!

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'd read somewhere that heath ledger borrowed tom waits' speaking voice to construct his joker

he's in coppola's dracula (renfrew?) which is an unbelievably righteous adaptation

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Benigni: "I make hay window! Eh, eh? Excuse me, do you say in English, 'I look hat the window' or do you say in English, 'I look hout the window'?"

Lurie: "In this case, Bob, I'm afraid you gotta say, 'I look at the window'...".

Benigni spoke NO English when the film was made, just improv'd up all kinds of crazy **** from the all kinds of crazy **** he had heard on the streets the night before. :lol:

Jarmusch was brilliant in just letting Benigni do his thing, unfettered. What a trio, Benigni, Lurie, and Waits. Perfect.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score

It is highly educational too. You will learn step by step how to prospect gold and find gold veins buried deep under ground by using a gold-washing river. sweeet

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is highly educational too. You will learn step by step how to prospect gold and find gold veins buried deep under ground by using a gold-washing river. sweeet
Also How to climb a hundred foot tree to steal Great Horned Owl eggs, only to put (most) of
them back.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I really like GBG also. I was reading Gone Girl this morning and said to myself, "Self, what did they watch?"

(Bonus as Michelle Monaghan was in Patriots Day & GBG. Not a huge role but I never had a problem with her.)

She is quite tasty in a very undemanding role in Source Code, which also happens to be one of the best time travel movies ever made*

If you can call it time travel

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not lately, but I watch this at least once a year, along with Gettysburg, A Bridge Too Far,
The Grand Illusion, Pulp Fiction, It's a Mad Mad Mad World, etc.
La Nuit de Varennes

la_nuit_de_varennes_6_0.jpg

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not lately, but I watch this at least once a year, along with Gettysburg, A Bridge Too Far, The Grand Illusion, Pulp Fiction, It's a Mad Mad Mad World, etc.

La Nuit de Varennes
That is a really good mixed list.
La Nuit is excellent, Pulp Fiction fantastic, Gettysburg so good.

A Bridge Too Far is on NF USA right now.

Mad Mad World...I have never really bonded with despite having tried many times.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mad Mad World...I have never really bonded with despite having tried many times.

I love it perhaps because these are the comedians I grew up with and the story is a perfect
vehicle for their varied personas.

How do you like The Grand Illusion, and its' companion-piece The Rules of the Game ?

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MV5BMjRkY2VhYzMtZWQyNS00OTY2LWE5NTAtYjlhNmQyYzE5MmUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_UX182_CR0...jpg
MV5BN2EwNDI5NjctZmMyNS00NzFlLTlkN2ItMzAwY2I0YTdkMzdjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MjU0Ng@@._V1_UX182_CR0...jpg

2 Euromovies for a change.

Both great choices for movie buff, Aguirre is a little artistic take on conquistadors and much more than that. Quite powerful movie shot in extraordinary beautiful parts of Peru. Carne Tremula is my favorite Almodovar movie so far, unpredictable, if you've seen 1000 movies or more you might still not guess how this one ends. At least I haven't.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh, damn it, wojt, I was so excited about that new Almodovar film until I googled it and it’s just Live Flesh. That was cruel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads