• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just rewatched this thanks to your review. I found it just as enjoyable as the first time. I will say that I always compare it to Gone, Baby, Gone which it doesn't live up to.

"Gone, Baby, Gone" is on a completely higher level than either of these. That is really a fantastic film, as is the superb "Mystic River", also based on a novel by Dennis Lehane.

I was chomping at the bits to reply to these posts. I was posting this morning and re-read and realized that it said Gone, Baby, Gone vs Gone Girl!

My biggity!

I always liked Gone Baby Gone(probably seen it 10+ times). I was never impressed with Gone Girl(1 time.)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was chomping at the bits to reply to these posts. I was posting this morning and re-read and realized that it said Gone, Baby, Gone vs Gone Girl!

My biggity!

I always liked Gone Baby Gone(probably seen it 10+ times). I was never impressed with Gone Girl(1 time.)
I love "Gone, Baby, Gone".

I am pretty certain that I have seen "Gone Girl" 1 time less than you have...if more than that then I sure af do not recall a single thing about it.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This French heist movie is no reinvention or deep by any means, and has a couple of odd dead-end plot sidelines which feel superfluous, but is otherwise briskly paced at 81 minutes, well acted and filmed, entertaining,

2.99/5.00.

AAAABb3z8JRC1I3mudkOMzQHbHZtOgaOEHxttU90hyb-zoIOaA3ZX0y4sBShM4U85hrJojYlpOTYhOw4OfOVPsbB2fPPSXzVL3hOATtq2sbme-S82nt4nbyvSQIpSIb0Ag.jpg

I call!

919STtmJKwL._SL1500_.jpg

I caught this over the 3.5 day weekend.

A B-level cast of bank villains try to outwit a B-level cast of the Los Angeles sheriff's department robbery unit.

When I say that this attempts to be a B-level "Heat", I am not kidding. There is no Pacino or DeNiro in this flick. Heck....there isn't a Kilmer or Voight...or a preemo Ashley Judd!

But there is a bit of excitement as the robbery crew tries to take down the Fed Reserve Bank in LA.

Nah...it's not "Heat". It's not even "The Bank Job". Worth watching? Sure. I think I caught this on Sat night and I can't remember much about it outside the twist at the end.

Eh....

2.5/5.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I am pretty certain that I have seen "Gone Girl" 1 time less than you have...if more than that then I sure af do not recall a single thing about it.

I really like GBG also. I was reading Gone Girl this morning and said to myself, "Self, what did they watch?"

(Bonus as Michelle Monaghan was in Patriots Day & GBG. Not a huge role but I never had a problem with her.)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I call!

919STtmJKwL._SL1500_.jpg

I caught this over the 3.5 day weekend.

A B-level cast of bank villains try to outwit a B-level cast of the Los Angeles sheriff's department robbery unit.

When I say that this attempts to be a B-level "Heat", I am not kidding. There is no Pacino or DeNiro in this flick. Heck....there isn't a Kilmer or Voight...or a preemo Ashley Judd!

But there is a bit of excitement as the robbery crew tries to take down the Fed Reserve Bank in LA.

Nah...it's not "Heat". It's not even "The Bank Job". Worth watching? Sure. I think I caught this on Sat night and I can't remember much about it outside the twist at the end.

Eh....

2.5/5.
Spot on.
Maybe a bit or even a point too high at 2.5/5.

I watched "Den of Thieves" the first time around on NF (last year?) and it was meh to the mehest, imo.

"Heat" = the purest of gold standards, Ne Plus Heist Flick, along with "The Usual Suspects".

"The Bank Job"
= silver-lined gray cloud, or vice versa.

"Den of Thieves" = lead balloon, mixed with a ****-ton of bricks.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who can begrudge a man his simple pleasures in these trying times? Let him have his pirates. Let us all have our pirates.

I saw Gone Girl and remember being entertained throughout. There was that one surprising scene where Doogie Howser(?) has his throat opened that was like Woah!

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's pretty funny to watch starship troopers and see how much they got by the studio. The troopers are in nazi uniforms and military intelligence in in SS garb. Hilarious.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

that's unfortunate as there's a pretty memorable scene.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's unfortunate as there's a pretty memorable scene.
You highlighted the wrong part of my post (re-highlighted above) ;), so I do not recall any scenes, memorable or not. I will certainly watch "Gone Girl" when the opportunity presents itself.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who can begrudge a man his simple pleasures in these trying times? Let him have his pirates. Let us all have our pirates.
Hey, by all means! Take my pirates, even!
I sure don't want them around.
You and edina can virtually thrust and parry over the plunder.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your opinion on it though?

I have had it my NF queue for months and yet every time I come across it pass it by for some reason.

It is amazing/excellent Coen Bros or it exhausting/too cute Coen Bros?
Good but not great. I really enjoyed it. An unsentimental view of the "West". But it is no Fargo,
or Big Lebowski.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads