• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Motivates you guys to exercise or workout?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
genes. a medical condition. those are two reasons someone might be overweight.

bob

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
genes. a medical condition. those are two reasons someone might be overweight.

bob

Or they've been stuffing their faces with food and haven't been bothered to lift their arses out of their couches. Once someone becomes obese, even light exercises become a chore.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Or they've been stuffing their faces with food and haven't been bothered to lift their arses out of their couches. Once someone becomes obese, even light exercises become a chore.

Obviously. But it's not the only reason someone may be obese. That's what I was pointing out. I thought it was obvious.

b

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find some sort of exercise you enjoy and keep at it. If you are bored and it has become a chore you will not be able to keep it up. I gave up running a long times ago... got bored once I got myself to run a mile under my minimum goal plus my shins hurt like hell nowadays if I try running. Whether that will be cycling, tennis, martial arts of some sort, badminton, squash...whatever it may be.
Oh as fo rthe original question. I want to stay relatively thin and keep my body in reasonable shape. Especially as it seems that already at my age I am experiencing some serious joint problems. Long term investment basically.

BayArea

Reaction score
if you enjoy a sport, join a local league that has competitive yet friendly matches. I hate working out but i started playing ice hockey at lunch every weekday and its a great workout and really fun.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Here's another one of those facts: most people exercise primarily for aesthetic reasons.
Guilty. As posted previously i put on a bunch of weight after i had surgery, the mirror insisted i get rid of it. Hated looking at the gut. Dont really care too much about the health factor - a few extra kilo wouldnt kill me, Ive certainly never been obese - but it looked horrible and people were asking me which trimester I was in, it had to go....

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
burmilla2.jpg

Defacto

Reaction score
What keeps me going? Setting short and long term goals, then acheiving them. I've dropped 50 lbs in the past 6 months; I didn't get there by only telling myself "I want to be 50 lbs lighter in 6 months", and end it there. Setting that as your only goal is much too difficult to grasp, which leaves you floundering without a purpose. Have the goal you ultimately want, but set many small goals along the way that will ultimately lead you to your large goal. Breaking it down always helps, and acheiving each little goal is that much more motivation to keep at it.

Like right now, for example, i'm doing a clean bulk on an intermediate 5x5 program (If you have any interest in weight lifting, research 5x5, there is nothing that has the time tested and proven credentials of 5x5). At the beginning, I set my test weights slightly higher than the actual test weights I ended my last program with. I did this with the expectation of meeting my old records sooner, but ultimately having to reset sooner. I'm on my 6th week and am still setting records, and know that I have at least another 2 weeks in me. I had been expecting to reset by the 6th or 7th week. This is a long term goal that makes me happy. Going into the gym with my 5x5 routine all layed out, then killing all the sets for the day is a goal I acheive every time I leave the gym. If I start failing to acheive those goals, then I simply reset and take a new approach, so that the progress toward my goal isn't hindered.

The fact that I've increased my drive by nearly 50 yards since I started is a very nice bonus. And sure, I like looking good in the mirror and for the girls. That goes without saying. Ultimately, however, I lift for myself, the satisfying feeling of accomplishment after every session, the effect it has on my mood, my mental strength and endurance, and my overall outlook on life. If I take a week off, I notice the loss in all the aforementioned effects I experience from lifting. Having those effects in my life is what I really need to keep me going.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808
Obviously. But it's not the only reason someone may be obese. That's what I was pointing out. I thought it was obvious.

b

But there's a medical condition that can cause laziness and, in turn, weight gain: depression.

Treatment for depression can also cause weight gain.

Here is another explanation for the many people who don't take care of how they look. Feeling that physical attractiveness is hopelessly low might cause depression.

Reaction score
A wardrobe of close-fitting Cosutme National jackets that won't let me gain an ounce of fat helps
smile.gif

I work out for an hour 3x a week, but personally, I can't stand treadmills. Try an elliptical trainer or a stairstepper.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads