1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Money Buys.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

[​IMG]

Hmmm . . . maybe that's why the French couture, is on the way out. One such ensemble from Saint Laurent, used to cost 150,000. During the days of 'steamer trunks,' rich women bought entire collections of couture garments. They were a lot cheaper then, but that was when money was money.

I'd have no trouble whatsoever, spending lots of money. To be truthful, though . . . I really think that many luxury items, are made for women to enjoy. And for men, to bankroll.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

What the article also insinuates is that the type of person who spends "that much" has certain problems: "Indeed, it would take a curious psychological composition to comprehend spending $147,000 a year on watches..." Actually, there is a moralising tone to the entire article, which I don't like.

3. dah328

dah328 Senior member

What the article also insinuates is that the type of person who spends "that much" has certain problems: "Indeed, it would take a curious psychological composition to comprehend spending $147,000 a year on watches..."
    I don't wanna sell anything, buy anything, or process anything as a career. I don't wanna sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed, you know, as a career.

4. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I am hoping you meant "not a lot of money to some people"

I would hate to think that there were a lot of people that could afford this kind of expenditure. I thought I read somehwhere that there are around 8,000 billionaires in the world. Assuming you need to have a net worth of $10 million or more to spend $300K a year on these things.

Even with a net worth of 10 million, $300k is quite a bit to spend. If I were to scale this to myself, I'd be dressing a lot better than I do now... moreover, spending does not go linearly with net worth, in general.

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

High spending on luxe goods by the wealthy supports the economy and the makers of luxe items. The workers who make them and sell them might otherwise be greeters at Walmart.