SW&D: End of the World Challenge - Your Last Outfit

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rais, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Rais

Rais Senior member

I laughed reading that bit about the tacticool dude. Nice pic, were you out camping?

2. oisin

oisin Senior member

Haha thanks. Yeah was on a road trip with the girlfriend. Some camping and some air bnb and some motels. Not an exciting outfit, just what I was wearing, and figured I'd craft a story to go with it.

3. Rais

Rais Senior member

I thought it was a great entry. We've got all these clothes amassed from this hobby and it's cool to see what people would throw on when push comes to shove.

4. zxcvbn

zxcvbn Senior member

Wow ruthless

5. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

6. Rais

Rais Senior member

That's a good list. That animated British film was so depressing.

12 Monkeys (1996) was quite good I thought as well; and the costume design and overall aesthetic was a great blend of the artificial with the organic.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Not so stylish but...

of course there's always the English approach to the End of the World:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. zxcvbn

zxcvbn Senior member

Salvaging is actually a lot of fun.

Sure, I haven’t seen real sunlight in months and, sure, I need a buddy to keep watch at all times so I don’t get my skull caved in by some territorial squatter. But when I step back and compare life as James the salvager to life as James the State Farm desk drone? I feel alive now more than ever, and it’s all thanks to The End Of The World.

Just remember – when it comes to hauling off your hard-fought salvage, it’s ballistic nylon or bust.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rick leather
    Rick gimp
    Rick tee
    Nike cargos
    Ann boots
    Porter duffle

Isaora shell
    Nike TF sweats
    Adidas pureprimeboostknitsomething
    Vis 20L

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016

9. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

More inspiration:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. fairlynerdy

fairlynerdy Senior member

This is an awesome challenge. Thanks @Rais for posting over on the CM side, this is my first post in SW&D. My job makes me stay in CM territory but I like work wear a lot...so I wrote up a story to justify posting about it. Kinda long, but it's what came out when I started writing.

Really enjoyed others' posts so far.

>>>

Indignation

It always starts with the fucking money. Anyone who was running any kind of high speed trading tech picked it up a month before shots were actually fired. Things that couldn't be explained by prior data, Markov models blowing up because nobody had bothered to program out such unlikely scenarios. Serious Black Swan shit. Some guys lost a lot of money then but it was mostly small time operators --- clearly, they were testing out how the markets react to shocks. But they were careful to not draw the attention of regulators or management of the exchanges. 

That all changed at 3:30 pm on Monday, May 2, 2016. Everything dropped, all at once. Equities, commodities, even bonds, which made no sense. Of course all the markets suspended trading after hitting the floors mandated after the first flash crashes. Everyone was spooked but fuck it, it was the end if the day and time to hit the bar and then the train home. Everyone has a bad day, right? Foreign markets suspended before they opened, everyone thought that would staunch the bleeding. When the NYSE and the NASDAQ opened 30% down the next morning, that's when everyone started fucking freaking out. And they had the whole day to freak out until it happened again. And again. By Thursday, when markets had lost 98% of their value, Washington was officially silent on the cause of the crash but most of the US press were accusing China of financial espionage and calling for all out war. The first nuke went up Friday morning. We still don't know whether it was simple confusion or further manipulation from the Shifters that was responsible.  

By the time we realized we were being played, it was too late. 50% of the population of the human race had been wiped out and half the rest had radiation poisoning. All the Shifters had to do was pick up the pieces. They hardly even had to fire a shot, or whatever you want to call a blast from their impulse guns. 

That was almost the end of it. A few billion ragged people who had destroyed all their formidable power trying to kill each other. Now slaves of an alien race on their own planet. Frankly, the Shifters tech isn't even that good. Sure, it's better than ours --- they figured out space flight, after all. But they could have never taken Earth if we hadn't destroyed ourselves first. 

The resistance started two years after the Takeover. The few free survivors started to stumble across one another and group up. Most of these groups were caught and thrown into the camps, or shot if they got out of hand. That started to change when a pair of ex-bankers met up with four union workers outside of the bombed out remains of London. The bankers had escaped the two nukes that hit the City by virtue of a corporate boondoggle up in the Lake District. I'd call them a bunch of ponzie stuffed shirts except they're sitting next to me as I write. And they've turned into a pair of hard-assed killers. 

So the stuffed shirts bump into the metal workers and both tell the same story --- Shifters showed up, slaughtered everyone else they were with but spared them. In fact, the Shifters treated them like they didn't exist, never even spoke a word to them in that guttural voice they all have. 

A few weeks after the six of them banded up, they walked right into a Shifter squad that was patrolling up and down the Thames. Poor David, that unlucky fucker, was cut down before he even knew what happened. But that moment was what unlocked it all. Turned him into David with a capital D, martyr for the cause. Because David was the only person killed that night. Everyone else in the group walked right through those Shifters without getting as much as glance, let alone an impulse blast. 

Poor David. The only motherfucker in the group not wearing blue. Toby walked out untouched, as did the brothers Callum and Casey, all clad in busted up denim. The two stuffed shirts were, in fact, blue spread collar royal oxfords. William and Jack, who were wearing them, were also draped in the tattered remains of navy suits. But David exchanged his blood soaked denim for a red track suit he had found inside of a burned out store front. That no-name, piece of shit track suit got lit up by the Shifters while the rest of the boys in blue walked right by. 

That's how we figured it out, or at least that's the story that we all tell now. I'm sure other groups pieced it together too. The Shifters can't see blue. Based on our dissections of the ones we've captured, it looks like the mutation that enabled shape shifting degraded their vision --- tough to see correctly when the cells that create sight can change on a moments notice. We also believe that the presence of enough blue fucks with their heads, confuses them in ways they don't notice. Yet. They're not dumb, though. 

We've been preparing for the fight. We've got a few nukes and with more on the way thanks to a handful of physicists who were smart enough to run before the Shifters started eradicating Earth's scientific elites. 

The biggest problem has been making blue dye to dye our equipment and our clothes blue. Turns out that shit is really hard to make. Remember those M&M candies, back from when we had chocolate? Took like 25 years to figure out to make blue ones without killing people. The breakthrough happened after we made contact with the free survivors in what used to be called Japan. When they heard about the gap in the Shifters color vision, they started ransacked the old Japanese textile houses looking for denim. The Indigofera clippings they found were the spark the resistance needed, a more powerful weapon than the atom smashing that got us here in the first place. All of us carry a piece of those clippings, now spliced and regrown a thousand times over. Those clippings have dyed our jeans, our shirts, and our minds. They turned us into invisible hunters, hungry for revenge, refusing to give in to the usurpers who think they have won. We will have our planet back. 

[​IMG]

11. Rais

Rais Senior member

@fairlynerdy That was a good read, creative and funny. I like how you tied the blue denim in to it.

@zxcvbn I think that third from the bottom shot is one of the nicest fit pics I've seen on this site. The clarity is unreal. Makes me want to get a proper camera and learn how to take a photo. I like how your outfit looks the part but is not too over the top (like mine was).

12. zxcvbn

zxcvbn Senior member

Thanks Rais! You should totally pick up a camera too.

13. overtone

overtone Well-Known Member

Agreed, great photography.

14. baltimoron

baltimoron Senior member

Nothing special as far as fits are concerned, but couldn't let a great challenge and a surprise snowstorm from last week go to waste.

[​IMG]

When I was a kid I loved the snow. I remember watching the flurries from my window and dragging my parents to run and jump through the fine powder. I remember getting hit by my first snowball and curling one into my hands to be thrown right back.

Now the snow threatens to whisk me out of existence. When the snows began 4 years ago, no one expected it to continue past the early days of spring, but it kept falling and falling. Oblivious, we convinced ourselves that it was just an aberration, all the while our crops and animals died around us. We realize our mistake now, but it seems it is too little too late. Nothing has been able to stem the snow fall, neither prayer nor science, and I am alone. The city is dying and people are desperate for food and fuel. Many have left in search of hope somewhere else, while those left behind obstinately cling to their way of life, even sweeping the streets and their cars everyday. As my supplies dwindle down I am left with a choice: stay and slowly wither away or try my luck somewhere else.

I dress warm, no telling when I will find food and shelter again soon. I grab my trusty parka, boots made by those that knew what it was like to live in snow, and follow the trail of footprints ahead of me.

15. Rais

Rais Senior member

I like that background story, Baltimoron. And that's a really nice photo too with the snow falling.