• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of men can wear Ascots gracefully on daily basis?

Do you think ascots look good on men?

• YES

Votes: 23 54.8%
  • NO

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • NOT SURE

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

any examples, pictures, that prove this claims?

They do look affected...

If see a man wearing one I do think two things 1/ He is camp as hell a la James from WHATJAMESISWEARING.COM
2/ He is trying too hard..

stinsonbass

Reaction score

any examples, pictures, that prove this claims?

Next time check your spelling before you answer. The mistake just might be due to the fact that you have this urge to bump your thread to top on an hourly basis.... call me crazy... (because you seem not to care if people post pictures in your thread which say: "don't feed the troll")

When it comes to your "useful" and "appreciated" poll survey: I do think that they can look good on men but not always actually almost never. Most people look ridiculous wearing an ascot. Oh and please don't tell me to look for examples & pictures to "prove" my point because the readers of SF already got the other 361 posts. BTW the "NOT SURE" option is just :crackup: How can one not be sure about something like that? You either think that someone looks good or not... (IMHO)

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Next time check your spelling before you answer. The mistake just might be due to the fact that you have this urge to bump your thread to top on an hourly basis.... call me crazy... (because you seem not to care if people post pictures in your thread which say: "don't feed the troll")

I don't think English is his mother tongue...

People on SF do forget most of us are actuallyborn as non-English speakers

stinsonbass

Reaction score

I don't think English is his mother tongue...

People on SF do forget most of us are actuallyborn as non-English speakers

In my defense - English is my 3rd language... But I think that both our posts are :spam: and in addition to that we bump this "lovely" thread.

Last edited:

jeromestyle

Reaction score

Next time check your spelling before you answer...

... BTW the "NOT SURE" option is just :crackup: How can one not be sure about something like that? You either think that someone looks good or not... (IMHO)

there is always someone obsessed about language correctness instead of grasping the main ideas of what is being discussed. Usually young and adults cannot stand them.

you might like men wearing only some kind of ascots... or haven´t made up your mind.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

weather permitting and by that I mean anything under 100, I wear them often. Maybe not daily bet a few times a week. I even wear them to the office, on occassion
Under 100!!!! I mean, I love ascots/day cravats in mild to cool weather, but anytime the temperatures get much above 80, I tend to shun them. They really cut off air circulation (much more than a necktie, I find) and can be as hot as hell. Conversely, in cool weather they can make you feel warmer to a surprising degree. As I said, I like them, I own 28 at the moment, and wear them often in cooler weather. In theory, they are an excellent way station between the inherent formality of the necktie and the inherent slovenliness of the open-necked shirt. However, there is the baleful legacy of Thurston Howell III, and I do realize that quite a few people do consider them affected and costumey, which doesn't bother me over-much. That said, if I were still in Singleland and had a first date with an appealing woman, I would in all probability not rock the ascot. When I was up at Oxford back before the Great Flood, a fair number of undergraduates wore ascots. I thought they looked quite elegant and dashing.

stinsonbass

Reaction score

there is always someone obsessed about language correctness instead of grasping the main ideas of what is being discussed. Usually young and adults cannot stand them.

you might like men wearing only some kind of ascots... or haven´t made up your mind.

Your problem: the poll's options: "YES" "NOT SURE" "NO" to the question "Do you think ascots look good on men?" but your poll name is: "What Kind Of Men Can Wear Ascots Gracefully On Daily Basis?" Do you get the idea? 2nd problem: we can make a poll like that for any clothing type: e.g. "Do you think that men should wear colorful socks?", "Can men wear bow-ties to semi-formal events nowadays without drawing too much attention?" But at the end of the day one should decide for himself what to wear and if he feels confident doing so. My point is that this topic is way too broad to be discussed in such a way without having people say to you the whole time that the thread is useless. :teach:

One more thing. Why the motivation to constantly make new threads even when you know for a fact that people will post something like this: (and I am certain that you are aware) "LEAVE SF AND NEVER COME BACK" but I guess that the comment got moderated.

HEARTLESS-531

Reaction score
Guys - I'm sensing some hatin' going on. What's one of the reasons we read Stylforum? Enn... ennn. enn. yes.. that's it. ENTERTAINMENT!!
And this thread is very entertaining. As a nation, we've just mortgaged our future, elected occicials have no credibility, and the stock market is tanking.
Can we at least enjoy a few ascot photos?

stinsonbass

Reaction score

Guys - I'm sensing some hatin' going on. What's one of the reasons we read Stylforum? Enn... ennn. enn. yes.. that's it. ENTERTAINMENT!!
And this thread is very entertaining. As a nation, we've just mortgaged our future, elected occicials have no credibility, and the stock market is tanking.
Can we at least enjoy a few ascot photos?

Fine. :) Here is a picture from my blog:

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Neckerchief =/= ascot

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What a relief that this guy has been banned....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads