• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of crap do you wear?

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
i dont think so. the non iron shirts i have are from very obscure brand names. from ross, jcpenny , macys, etc.
the combination of the material is always part polyester and part cotton, that is how the clothing is wrinkle free.

that is not a quality material used for mtm i believe.

Oh ok, I thought that Land's End would offer that fabric under a different descriptor for their mtm. Oh well.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since I'm generally casually dressed, I skimp on trousers. I generally buy casual pants and shorts from J.Crew, and I sometimes buy Gap shorts. I just don't think shorts are that important. I do get some from the RL outlet, though.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Do they offer that non-iron material for their MTM program? That's would be good.

skalogre, as you probably know, wearing non-iron shirts makes me akin to a devil-worshipper to many on the fora.

Brooks has the only decent selection of non-iron fabric that I've seen in a MTM program. Lands' End has only white, blue and ecru in cotton/poly blends, and Individualized Shirts has white, several shades of blue, and one blue/taupe stripe. Nordstroms will not use their SmartCare for a MTM shirt.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
skalogre, as you probably know, wearing non-iron shirts makes me akin to a devil-worshipper to many on the fora.

Brooks has the only decent selection of non-iron fabric that I've seen in a MTM program. Lands' End has only white, blue and ecru in cotton/poly blends, and Individualized Shirts has white, several shades of blue, and one blue/taupe stripe. Nordstroms will not use their SmartCare for a MTM shirt.

Oh, I just sent back a cotton/poly LE shirt from their MTM - decided to try getting it even slimmer. Material did not feel too bad. Not luxurious of course but even so.

gza

Reaction score
Geoffrey Beene cashmere v-neck, which, while not the softest, has proven remarkably resistant to pilling.

Banana Republic cashmere crewneck sweater vest.

Moth-eaten Cullen cashmere crewneck, which I sleep in on cold nights.

Boss sportshirt, which has a nice fit and a pleasing blue/beige gingham pattern.

Cashmere scarves from China.

A couple pairs of fugly Rockports.

All my socks.

Various ties with meaningless Italian names, found via thrifting and the like.

Belts from Armani, Structure, and unknown cheapo brands.

Random cufflinks inherited from my Dad. Knowing how little he spent on clothing, I'm pretty certain there's nothing too precious there.

A Zeitner watch.

Haha, believe it or not, as I started this post I was thinking that I didn't have much "crap" at all.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gza
Geoffrey Beene cashmere v-neck, which, while not the softest, has proven remarkably resistant to pilling.

Banana Republic cashmere crewneck sweater vest.

Moth-eaten Cullen cashmere crewneck, which I sleep in on cold nights.

Boss sportshirt, which has a nice fit and a pleasing blue/beige gingham pattern.

Cashmere scarves from China.

A couple pairs of fugly Rockports.

All my socks.

Various ties with meaningless Italian names, found via thrifting and the like.

Belts from Armani, Structure, and unknown cheapo brands.

Random cufflinks inherited from my Dad. Knowing how little he spent on clothing, I'm pretty certain there's nothing too precious there.

A Zeitner watch.

Haha, believe it or not, as I started this post I was thinking that I didn't have much "crap" at all.

Don't fret about it. I have so much crap that I wear that I cannot even think of it all!
biggrin.gif

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I like how a lot of these shameful crap brands are really considered fairly nice in the wider society... Banana Republic, Armani Exchange, etc. I've been wearing the same Hanes undershirts from Kohl's for the past four years or so, they're discolored and disintegrating. Now that's shameful. Ditto on my socks.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
I like how a lot of these shameful crap brands are really considered fairly nice in the wider society... Banana Republic, Armani Exchange, etc. I've been wearing the same Hanes undershirts from Kohl's for the past four years or so, they're discolored and disintegrating. Now that's shameful. Ditto on my socks.

I agree! They do sound good until you start seeing things of ACTUAL quality.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young

I think the point of this thread was to show that even though we like to talk about all the high-end stuff that we have, most of us don't go out every single day wearing Kiton and Edward Greens. A lot of us wear Gap or Banana Republic or whatever, it's just that every now and then, or on particular items of clothing we like to stand apart from the pack.

Also, a lot of time people make a false connection between price and quality. There are plenty of expensive items out there in the malls that re very low quality, and there are deals to be found on high quality items so that they can be had at a lower price. That's the beauty of this forum.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I think the point of this thread was to show that even though we like to talk about all the high-end stuff that we have, most of us don't go out every single day wearing Kiton and Edward Greens. A lot of us wear Gap or Banana Republic or whatever, it's just that every now and then, or on particular items of clothing we like to stand apart from the pack.

Also, a lot of time people make a false connection between price and quality. There are plenty of expensive items out there in the malls that re very low quality, and there are deals to be found on high quality items so that they can be had at a lower price. That's the beauty of this forum.

aye

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo shirts from Polo and Banana Republic, dress pants from Banana and reef flip flops (which see a ton of wear in the summer). I also just got a "flashy" suit, a Paul Smith London one, for $129.50, which I see getting a lot of wear in the very near future.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Vintage Gent
My wee contribution to the sartorial confessional: a Nautica dress shirt. The overall fit leaves something to be desired, the fabric is just a few notches above dreadful, but the check is really wonderful, so it has a semi-permanent place in my rotation.

Right now I'm wearing Nautica 100 percent linen trousers, and actually I love them. The linen is quite nice, the construction is pretty good, and the cut is fabulous for my meaty buttocks and generous thighs. Along with them, by the way, I'm wearing a pale pink Calvin Klein polo in a gorgeous royal oxford cloth. I got each at TJMaxx, the trousers for $40, the shirt for $19.

Pink22m

Reaction score
I should also add my Target Merona undershirts, to this list of "crap" items.

Just a couple weeks ago, I purchased some cotton stretch, crewneck tshirts, from the local Gap; this happened to be my first Gap purchase ever.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i still have a (gasp!) kenneth cole lace-up in thick (as in 1" high) rubber soles, and velcro straps bought 8yrs ago. also have a hugo boss sport pair of black nylon shoes with straps all around. i have to give them away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads