1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of crap do you wear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by odoreater, Jun 17, 2006.

1. GBR

GBR Senior member

I have three pairs of Lands End jeans that I really should burn.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Three linen Old Navy shirts

I have two of these, along with some tattersalls I found there last fall. Sometimes their $25-$30 shirts aren't bad for casual wear, especially when the price drops to $5 or so. I also have some Hilfiger white cotton/linen trousers I found for $7, along with some cheap white shirts I like to keep around as beaters.

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Shirts with holes.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

almost all my cold weather clothing is crap i've received for christmas.

5. StevenRocks

StevenRocks Senior member

I shop almost everywhere, so I have crappy clothes from all kinds of places, from Dollar General to Plato's Closet to the "Mart" stores to JCPenney and Sears.

6. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

I have a couple pique polo shirts, and a pair of khakis, which I purchased at Target.

7. thinman

thinman Senior member

Non-iron shirts for everyday wear (mostly from Lands' End and JC Penney), since I can't afford to send my shirts to the laundry and I consider ironing a waste of time. Since they don't fit quite right, I'm trying MTM from both Individualized Shirts and Brooks Brothers, but I'm sticking with non-iron for everyday wear. I _am_ buying some non non-iron shirts with french cuffs for occasions requiring a dressier look.

Half of my current wardrobe seems to be from Lands' End, especially cotton trousers (and polo shirts). Since I can't replace 11 pairs of trousers overnight, they're being replaced slowly and I'm upgrading to lightweight wool for Fall and Winter.

I own a navy blazer from JC Penney that used to get a lot of wear until the dye started to come out and stain the armpits of my shirts. I have a MTM replacement on order.

I have several pairs of rubber-soled Rockport and Nunn-Bush shoes from my pre-forum days that still see wear on rainy days.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i love non iron dress shirts, especially if one can find one that has a great fit and good quality.

just wash em and hang em up and they are ready to wear next day!

9. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

i love non iron dress shirts, especially if one can find one that has a great fit and good quality.

just wash em and hang em up and they are ready to wear next day!

Do they offer that non-iron material for their MTM program? That's would be good.

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

i dont think so. the non iron shirts i have are from very obscure brand names. from ross, jcpenny , macys, etc.
    the combination of the material is always part polyester and part cotton, that is how the clothing is wrinkle free.

that is not a quality material used for mtm i believe.

11. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

i dont think so. the non iron shirts i have are from very obscure brand names. from ross, jcpenny , macys, etc.
    the combination of the material is always part polyester and part cotton, that is how the clothing is wrinkle free.

that is not a quality material used for mtm i believe.

Oh ok, I thought that Land's End would offer that fabric under a different descriptor for their mtm. Oh well.

12. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

Since I'm generally casually dressed, I skimp on trousers. I generally buy casual pants and shorts from J.Crew, and I sometimes buy Gap shorts. I just don't think shorts are that important. I do get some from the RL outlet, though.

13. thinman

thinman Senior member

Do they offer that non-iron material for their MTM program? That's would be good.

skalogre, as you probably know, wearing non-iron shirts makes me akin to a devil-worshipper to many on the fora.

Brooks has the only decent selection of non-iron fabric that I've seen in a MTM program. Lands' End has only white, blue and ecru in cotton/poly blends, and Individualized Shirts has white, several shades of blue, and one blue/taupe stripe. Nordstroms will not use their SmartCare for a MTM shirt.

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

skalogre, as you probably know, wearing non-iron shirts makes me akin to a devil-worshipper to many on the fora.

Brooks has the only decent selection of non-iron fabric that I've seen in a MTM program. Lands' End has only white, blue and ecru in cotton/poly blends, and Individualized Shirts has white, several shades of blue, and one blue/taupe stripe. Nordstroms will not use their SmartCare for a MTM shirt.

Oh, I just sent back a cotton/poly LE shirt from their MTM - decided to try getting it even slimmer. Material did not feel too bad. Not luxurious of course but even so.

15. gza

gza Senior member

Geoffrey Beene cashmere v-neck, which, while not the softest, has proven remarkably resistant to pilling.

Banana Republic cashmere crewneck sweater vest.

Moth-eaten Cullen cashmere crewneck, which I sleep in on cold nights.

Boss sportshirt, which has a nice fit and a pleasing blue/beige gingham pattern.

Cashmere scarves from China.

A couple pairs of fugly Rockports.

All my socks.

Various ties with meaningless Italian names, found via thrifting and the like.

Belts from Armani, Structure, and unknown cheapo brands.

Random cufflinks inherited from my Dad. Knowing how little he spent on clothing, I'm pretty certain there's nothing too precious there.

A Zeitner watch.

Haha, believe it or not, as I started this post I was thinking that I didn't have much "crap" at all.

16. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Geoffrey Beene cashmere v-neck, which, while not the softest, has proven remarkably resistant to pilling.

Banana Republic cashmere crewneck sweater vest.

Moth-eaten Cullen cashmere crewneck, which I sleep in on cold nights.

Boss sportshirt, which has a nice fit and a pleasing blue/beige gingham pattern.

Cashmere scarves from China.

A couple pairs of fugly Rockports.

All my socks.

Various ties with meaningless Italian names, found via thrifting and the like.

Belts from Armani, Structure, and unknown cheapo brands.

Random cufflinks inherited from my Dad. Knowing how little he spent on clothing, I'm pretty certain there's nothing too precious there.

A Zeitner watch.

Haha, believe it or not, as I started this post I was thinking that I didn't have much "crap" at all.

Don't fret about it. I have so much crap that I wear that I cannot even think of it all! [​IMG]

17. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

I like how a lot of these shameful crap brands are really considered fairly nice in the wider society... Banana Republic, Armani Exchange, etc. I've been wearing the same Hanes undershirts from Kohl's for the past four years or so, they're discolored and disintegrating. Now that's shameful. Ditto on my socks.

18. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I like how a lot of these shameful crap brands are really considered fairly nice in the wider society... Banana Republic, Armani Exchange, etc. I've been wearing the same Hanes undershirts from Kohl's for the past four years or so, they're discolored and disintegrating. Now that's shameful. Ditto on my socks.

I agree! They do sound good until you start seeing things of ACTUAL quality.

19. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I think the point of this thread was to show that even though we like to talk about all the high-end stuff that we have, most of us don't go out every single day wearing Kiton and Edward Greens. A lot of us wear Gap or Banana Republic or whatever, it's just that every now and then, or on particular items of clothing we like to stand apart from the pack.

Also, a lot of time people make a false connection between price and quality. There are plenty of expensive items out there in the malls that re very low quality, and there are deals to be found on high quality items so that they can be had at a lower price. That's the beauty of this forum.

20. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I think the point of this thread was to show that even though we like to talk about all the high-end stuff that we have, most of us don't go out every single day wearing Kiton and Edward Greens. A lot of us wear Gap or Banana Republic or whatever, it's just that every now and then, or on particular items of clothing we like to stand apart from the pack.

Also, a lot of time people make a false connection between price and quality. There are plenty of expensive items out there in the malls that re very low quality, and there are deals to be found on high quality items so that they can be had at a lower price. That's the beauty of this forum.

aye