• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What jacket size are you?

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a 48L. I assume you are talking about American sizing, not european.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(topcatny @ Feb. 26 2005,17:31) I am a 48L. Â I assume you are talking about American sizing, not european.
Yes American, EU sizes would have been to confusing on an American based board. Jon.
I agree. Just thought I would bring it up more gently than say ernest might later.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
41XL

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I believe that taking in a jacket that is a 42 one inch is not going to make the jacket a 41. We are dealing with shoulder and chest measurements and it would be a costly alteration to do. Also you would have to shorten the collar and that would change the balance and button stance of the coat. Not advisable if you ask me.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I believe that taking in a jacket that is a 42 one inch is not going to make the jacket a 41. We are dealing with shoulder and chest measurements and it would be a costly alteration to do. Also you would have to shorten the collar and that would change the balance and button stance of the coat. Not advisable if you ask me.
Ok, no.

Button stance is only changed if you shorten the coat, and since I did not give specific length-shortening options, i.e. a poll choice for 42 could mean 42S, 42R, or 42L, thus neither the balance, nor the button stance change if you changed the width dimensions of the jacket; especially by a mere 1".

As well, no one is discussing price point comparisons regarding alteration costs; costs and price of alterations and feasibility are two separate issues which are separate. You can alter a size 42 to a size 41 and it will still look balanced.

Jon.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My tailor has taken a 44L down to a 42L with beautiful success.

Oh, yes, for free.

fkl118

Reaction score
I'm a 40R, which I suspect will end up getting the most votes.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How did Covid-19 impact your personal style?

• My style hasn't changed at all.

• My wardrobe hasn't changed but I am wearing casual clothes more often.

• I invested in new good quality leisure and casual clothes.

• I invested in new sartorial clothes taking advantage of the sales.

• I purged my closet during quarantine and I have nothing left to wear.

Results are only viewable after voting.