• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is Your "Must Buy It" Price?

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For any given garment, I have a must-buy-it price. For example, for NWT jackets (Sartorio, Isaia, Kiton, Attolini) if its $350 or less, I'll generally buy it regardless if I have clothing budget left for the month. Presuming I don't have 2 of the same thing already in the closet.

For NIB shoes (Lobb, EG, MTM martegani) its about $400. Shirts (Borrelli, barba, attolini) Its $100.

Its just too good a deal to pass up, I'll pull the trigger without worrying about it.

What are your impulse buy thresholds?

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the same, but a bit higher on shoes and a bit lower on jackets, about $500 on great suits.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this thread is a good pricing tool for sellers
stirpot.gif

caligula455

Reaction score
I was taught that it isn't a bargain if you don't actually need it. I have always been pretty loose with the definition of "need" though.

will you seriously buy something just because it's a "good" deal? what if you already have one identical or very similar? as much fun as it is to buy things and find bargains, it seems pretty irresponsible to have a no thinking threshold.

JelloFaust

Reaction score
Originally Posted by caligula455
I was taught that it isn't a bargain if you don't actually need it. I have always been pretty loose with the definition of "need" though.

will you seriously buy something just because it's a "good" deal? what if you already have one identical or very similar? as much fun as it is to buy things and find bargains, it seems pretty irresponsible to have a no thinking threshold.

Agreed
tounge.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"....Presuming I don't have 2 of the same thing already in the closet...."

No I won't buy just for the sake of the bargain. BUT if its something I'd like, and its of top quality, and its at 10%-25% of retail, then yes.

MacM05

Reaction score
I was taught that it isn't a bargain if you don't actually need it. I have always been pretty loose with the definition of "need" though. will you seriously buy something just because it's a "good" deal? what if you already have one identical or very similar? as much fun as it is to buy things and find bargains, it seems pretty irresponsible to have a no thinking threshold.
I also don't buy for the sake of a "good" deal. However, I've had few instances where I was going to replace similar item anyway...so the "deal" can make the purchase somewhat justifiable.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
I mean, I just look at the $8-900 suits and $4-5k handbags and think to myself - who the heck buys this stuff?
confused.gif

I hope someone buys the RLPL suits I have for sale in that range!
boxing[1].gif

I don't really have a "must buy price", though obviously if it really gets down into silly discount territory then my level of temptation increases. It's a smooth curve rather than being truncated, I think.
smile.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I tend to follow this. If I don't need it or if it doesn't interest me, then regardless of maker or price, I won't buy it.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For new items:

Wool trousers: $50 (have gone as high as $85)
Sport coats: $50 (have gone as high as $150)
Suits: $150 (have gone as high as $250)
Shoes: $150 (have gone as high as $335)
Shirts: $35 (have gone as high as $40)
Ties: $20 (have gone as high as $30)

Anything above those prices (ie.e have gone as high as) must either fill a hole in my wardrobe or be something I have been looking for to replace something else.

svelten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
For new items:

Wool trousers: $50 (have gone as high as $85)
Sport coats: $50 (have gone as high as $150)
Suits: $150 (have gone as high as $250)
Shoes: $150 (have gone as high as $335)
Shirts: $35 (have gone as high as $40)
Ties: $20 (have gone as high as $30)

Anything above those prices (ie.e have gone as high as) must either fill a hole in my wardrobe or be something I have been looking for to replace something else.

Pretty much that. My buying threshold for something I actually NEED is much higher than that listed, but buying for solely the sake of it being cheap... it has to be a -ridiculuosly- good deal.

At stratospherically good deal levels, I'd buy it even if I never wear it for the sheer resale value.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads