• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is your fashion trademark?

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always worn an unbuttoned dress shirt, white t-shirt, khakis, and sandals to school.

JB

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm in a transition phase. My previous trademark was to wear as much Hugo Boss as possible. Now I'm moving in another direction but am a little lost at the moment.

Goblin

Reaction score
I've had a significant amount of new tattoo work done since summer 2006, and it's an ongoing process, so I'm not bored with showing it off yet. Thus, for spring I'm wearing clothes that fall into one of two categories:

1. Simple outfits that "fit" with vintage tattoos, e.g., plain/graphic/band t-shirt, cuffed raw jeans, classic sneakers, with a Dickies belt and a few pieces of tacky sterling silver jewelry. If I'm wearing a hoodie in reasonably warm weather, I usually push the sleeves up to show off the work in progress.

2. More "dress casual" outfits that provide a juxtaposition with the tattoos, e.g., polo shirt or ocbd or linen shirt with sleeves rolled up, twill pants, white Jack Purcells or tan monk straps.

I think the latter approach, albeit in a far different implementation, works fantastically for Get Smart.

So until the novelty wears off, the tattoos are the most visually interesting trademark of the way I dress. They also keep me from getting outre with my clothing choices, as costumey clothes + lots of tattoos is a bit too much for me.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd guess sportcoats would be my trademark here, because I'm one of a few people to wear them all the time. I'm just not a jeans-and-hoodie kind of guy. Except for working out, my idea of hang-out casual in this kind of weather is a medium-weight sportcoat in a fairly traditional cut with maybe a bit more waist suppression than usual (not Attolini-extreme, because my body can't support that) with the sleeves either buttoned or not, a spread-collar shirt with the top two buttons unbuttoned, tucked (or not) into a pair of fitting-but-not-tight-jeans (HL Classic Cut being a perfect fit for me) or wool pants, with socks that either match the pants or reflect a color above my waist, and maybe Weston 180's on my feet. Beyond that, I don't know if any of these things could be counted as trademarks, but here are some things I wear an awful lot.

1) Shoes with higher toes than is typical on English, let alone Italian, footwear. I mean shoes such as Ludwig Reiter Budapester, J.M. Weston 180's, and other stuff like that.

2) Jacket sleeves cut a little bit shorter than "proper" with properly fitted shirt cuffs, to show a little more cuff than normal. (.5-.75" on a ~35.5" sleeve size)

3) Nice shoes. I will wear sneakers, and wear them with anything, but it's rare on dry days that I don't have leather touching the ground. (And on wet days, something like an Alden 405 or a Weston ankle-boot with commando sole.) I'm not fanatical about Goodyear welting - though I haven't bought any Tanino Criscis, Gravatis, or mainline Ferragamos since discovering the fora, either... - but about 75% of my shoe collection is thus.

4) Distinctive glasses. I keep a rotation of 5 pairs of glasses (7 if you count the prescription and non-prescription sunglasses) so that no one pair becomes too overbearing.

5) In the winter, vintage cashmere sweaters. I just love the way some of the old Scottish mills (Pringle, J&D McGeorge, Ballantyne) cut their sweaters back in the day, the fabrics just feel so nice even compared to new $1000 Ballantynes and the like, and surprisingly it's really easy to find exceptional vintage cashmere cheap.

6) Pants that fit. Painted on jeans (RRL slim fits's for instance) and super-tapered trousers (e.g. Borrelli) will never find a place in my wardrobe. Nor will "anti-fit." I had a brief flirtation with the Nudie Baggy Bjorn, before deciding I'd wear them once and then leave them in my closet.

7) Wool and moleskin pants, including a few in checks and plaids, worn casually. Not too uncommon in more advanced spheres, but shockingly rare in a southern college town.

8) Absolutely No Khakis. Even (especially) when they're trendy. The last time I wore khakis was a traffic court appearance.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
I've had a significant amount of new tattoo work done since summer 2006, and it's an ongoing process, so I'm not bored with showing it off yet. Thus, for spring I'm wearing clothes that fall into one of two categories:

So until the novelty wears off, the tattoos are the most visually interesting trademark of the way I dress. They also keep me from getting outre with my clothing choices, as costumey clothes + lots of tattoos is a bit too much for me.

awesome, would love to see some of your work some day.

I like the contrasting juxtaposition of heavily tattooed limbs with a more conservative/classic style. it makes people look at you like they're wondering what's going on since those 2 elements rarely coexist

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
awesome, would love to see some of your work some day. I like the contrasting juxtaposition of heavily tattooed limbs with a more conservative/classic style. it makes people look at you like they're wondering what's going on since those 2 elements rarely coexist
It highlights the tatts better, too. If you see someone decked out in black leather, studs everywhere, and heavily tattoed limbs, you just kind of file them away in whatever category is appropriate (punk, biker, etc) and forget about it. If you see someone in plaid pants and a polo with heavily tattoed limbs (like a certain stylish poster on this very forum...), both the tattoos and the clothes become more interesting. I can remember friends' tattoos who don't seem like the tattood "type" better than I can remember friends' tattoos who conform to the norm a little more closely.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I just try to maintain a good clean cut appearance with the way I dress. I wear good fitting jeans, sleek sneakers, boots, lots of sweaters, collared shirts and I wear glasses. I guess you could say that since most of my life revolves around school at this point in time, I look the part. The one thing I do a bit different is my hair. I try to keep it a little interesting. Right now, its kind of messy on top and sides but with chopped bangs straightened to the side. It has some coloring in it as well. My look is nothing special but I'm happy with it.

Goblin

Reaction score
I'll have a new digital camera in the next week or two, so I'll post some pics in WAYWN. My arms look skanky right now, though, as I'm pretty much in a continual healing process. I'm almost out of room for anything decent-sized on my arms, but I'm getting a few pieces done today - a small memorial cross for Rorty, my first ferret; a Sailor Jerry death's head moth; and probably a couple small pieces of vintage flash to start filling in the gaps. I might get a little "L.A.M.F." ribbon worked in somewhere today, too (*huge* Johnny Thunders fan as a sprog, have wanted a small tribute piece forever). I love vintage and vintage-inspired traditional Americana, so I have a lot of small, classic flash bits. I'm thinking of going with a flowing Americana/Japanese hybrid for a leg sleeve, but that's a *long* way away.

I'm about 75% sure I'm getting a big, ludicrously aggro "**** THE WORLD" chest piece after my arms are done.
marchal.gif

flashback

Reaction score
generic baseball / softball belt in various vivid colors
one tongue flopped out, one in (for sambas)
leather wallet-strap that doesn't actually attach to a wallet
layers
zip-hoody (I always need more pockets)

Murray

Reaction score
Originally Posted by covington
Fashion is just not about social status and dressing well. It is also about expressing personality. Do you have have any fashion trademark which you use to convey a certain characteristic?

I'm known for using shirts as much as common males use t-shirts. I've also got a thing for Clarks Originals - I wear a pair of Clarks or a Clarks knock-off as good as daily.

I am just wondering. Are you suggesting that you are not common because you wear shirts instead of t-shirts, or are you suggesting that you are just not a commoner?
smile.gif

indieprep

Reaction score
Well, I spent 90% of my days in shirt and slim fit corduroy trousers, word with vans black/grey hi tops. No tees for me, only button downs and polos

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol ironic t shirt lol

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always wear an undershirt, even when I'm wearing a shirt... I dunno, its more of a weird quirk.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 year ressurection batman.

I like to keep my fly undone at all times, shows the girls I'm always one step ahead.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by XenoX101
2 year ressurection batman. I like to keep my fly undone at all times, shows the girls I'm always one step ahead.
You're really embracing the sexual predator epithet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads