• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is the difference between Denim and Chino?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet Judge Judy isn't having to translate your posts via Google translate, and knows Khaki is a colour with a U...

If you need google translate to figure out the difference between British and American spellings, you're more provincial than I thought.

Panama

Reaction score
If you need google translate to figure out the difference between British and American spellings, you're more provincial than I thought.
You're the one wearing Khaki pants...

download (6).jpeg

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look. You're trying to be a dick Brit. I get it.

You asked a dick question about who would refer to trousers as khakis, likely knowing full well that many Americans do so.

Why? To be a dick.

No need to break into your very sad spank bank folder.

Panama

Reaction score
Look. You're trying to be a dick Brit. I get it.

You asked a dick question about who would refer to trousers as khakis, likely knowing full well that many Americans do so.

Why? To be a dick.

No need to break into your very sad spank bank folder.
You're 4.25% of the total world population, but think you're 100% of the population...

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're 4.25% of the total world population, but think you're 100% of the population...

No see. You're the one trying to be a dick and gatekeep.

I never said you can't use whatever terminology you want. You tried to call out @mak1277 for using "khaki" colloquially as many Americans do simply to be a dick.

Also, hilarious to bring up the percent of the world a population represents, considering your population is like 1/5 of ours (your lost Dominions don't count).

I've never made any claims of American universalism.

Panama

Reaction score
No see. You're the one trying to be a dick and gatekeep.

I never said you can't use whatever terminology you want. You tried to call out @mak1277 for using "khaki" colloquially as many Americans do simply to be a dick.

Also, hilarious to bring up the percent of the world a population represents, considering your population is like 1/5 of ours (your lost Dominions don't count).

I've never made any claims of American universalism.
I am actually from a country that is a lot smaller than the United Kingdom, but you wouldn't be able to find it on a map...

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am actually from a country that is a lot smaller than the United Kingdom, but you wouldn't be able to find it on a map...

Oh fun. I bet I could (I "read" European and Asian history at "uni" - sorry, I'll try to use your vernacular). I have family living on 4 continents, travel quite a bit. I know you want to believe all Americans are backwards.

The reason I remember (or thought) you were a Brit is from a shoe thread - I posted right after you mentioned you went to Sandhurst. So I assume, likely, Commonwealth?

I could throw out tiny islands, but there are so many.

Panama

Reaction score
Oh fun. I bet I could (I "read" European and Asian history at "uni" - sorry, I'll try to use your vernacular). I have family living on 4 continents, travel quite a bit. I know you want to believe all Americans are backwards.

The reason I remember (or thought) you were a Brit is from a shoe thread - I posted right after you mentioned you went to Sandhurst. So I assume, likely, Commonwealth?

I could throw out tiny islands, but there are so many.
I was born on Jersey. However, anyone posting on Styleforum should know that Khaki's are not an item of clothing. Anyway, I am off to iron my Olives....

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was born on Jersey. However, anyone posting on Styleforum should know that Khaki's are not an item of clothing. Anyway, I am off to iron my Olives....

Ah would not have guessed. Not even Commonwealth then. To be fair, that's pretty left field.

As an aside, I would have found it on a map. One of my first European trips as a child was to London/Bath then onto Normandy, St Malo, Mont Saint-Michel, the beaches, then onto the Loire all that. Crossed the channel on a ferry. My father was quite obsessed with maps and made us learn about the general area we were visiting.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Not a bad exchange. The UK guy was dickish though, figures. Being old, like really old alive when Roosevelt was but only for 13 days we called them chinos growing up, now khakis because everyone does including the sites selling them. The uniform khakis my dad wore in WWII are called pinks, here in New England in the summer we wear reds, if not from here the tag Nantucket gets stuck in front. A khaki in British tan (a little bow to dick guy) goes with everything, everything I say, no echo just truth.

Panama

Reaction score
Not a bad exchange. The UK guy was dickish though, figures. Being old, like really old alive when Roosevelt was but only for 13 days we called them chinos growing up, now khakis because everyone does including the sites selling them. The uniform khakis my dad wore in WWII are called pinks, here in New England in the summer we wear reds, if not from here the tag Nantucket gets stuck in front. A khaki in British tan (a little bow to dick guy) goes with everything, everything I say, no echo just truth.
Nobody in the world calls them Khaki's except a small percentage of the world in North America because you're misinformed or stupid. Again you appear to be another individual who thinks you are the world...

I honestly don't believe you know who your Dad is...

Jeez, Nantucket Reds are canvas.

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Nobody in the world calls them Khaki's except a small percentage of the world in North America because you're misinformed or stupid. Again you appear to be another individual who thinks you are the world...
It's just a name we're talking about. And anybody can call anything whatever they want. For example, we've decided to call you a dick. And even when you undick yourself, if ever you do, the name will stick, because we North Americans are basically misinformed and stupid and are very fond of the term dick, however we do choose to spell khakis without the capitalization and the unnecessary apostrophe and being a New Englander we prefer the spelling kackies.

I honestly don't believe you know who your Dad is...
Correct. I didn't know him at all. He was killed in the war. Helping to save your feeble country's ass.

Panama

Reaction score
Hopefully the guy I blocked is posting something interesting whilst I reorganise my Blue's, Indigo's and Black's, and point out that Nantucket Reds are only known as Nantucket Reds as Chinos are known as Chinos in 95.75% of the world...

msimon

Reaction score
Been a long time lurker here.

I am appalled by the way grown men treat each other here by bickering and insulting remarks that have no place here, especially from those who consider themselves educated gentlemen.

You act like children with no full understanding on how you are projecting yourself to the wide world.

You all represent this forum in all its glory, and glory is not what I see at the moment.

Good day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads