• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is going on with The Rake's online store?

LKittelb

Reaction score
When I started getting in to menswear more seriously several years ago, the two online purveyors of a wide variety of high quality goods were Mr. Porter and The Rake. In the last year or so, The Rake has been reduced to a shell of what it once was, offering a very limited range of brands and products. Does anyone know what has happened?

I can't speak to what's going on with their magazine, I never was familiar with that part of the company, but the online store is pretty dismal these days... its quite sad.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
Bump to this thread. Their site has only a bunch of watches and a pair of sneakers available to purchase by now. Oddly enough, the different clothing categories are still there but empty. Have they decided to not sell clothing anymore and go forward with only the magazine?

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got an ongoing exchange going on with their customer service regarding the crazy delay in their delivery of the last issue (84) to the US which they claim is due to "an increase in orders"....right.

I just sent a follow up and also asked them about their online shop being gutted. Will post any info here once I hear back from them.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've got an ongoing exchange going on with their customer service regarding the crazy delay in their delivery of the last issue (84) to the US which they claim is due to "an increase in orders"....right.

I just sent a follow up and also asked them about their online shop being gutted. Will post any info here once I hear back from them.

I have asked the same question and received the same answer. This, combined with the vanishing of the online shop, is raising some red flags.

Jay.C

Reaction score
I finally see some of their products through the sales email. However, the catalog/ listing system seems to be broken. I can see a product from ABC brand, but there's no product when I go to the ABC brand page. Also, there's no much options and some doesn't have a proper pic of the product. Like a pic of model in a posture only showing a side and there's no way to see full details. I'm not sure if they really know what they are doing now.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have asked the same question and received the same answer. This, combined with the vanishing of the online shop, is raising some red flags.

I did get a response from the Rake and this was their verbatim reply to the question about the online store:

"We have temporarily reduced our e-commerce offering, as we prepare to bring you an improved luxury retail experience.

We look forward to sharing our new e-commerce platform with you in the coming weeks."

I will believe it when I see it.

Knurt

Reaction score
They thought they could sell clothes through the magazine, completely forgetting the lack of legitimacy coming with conflict of interest. A lose-lose situation.

Jazzthief

Reaction score
They thought they could sell clothes through the magazine, completely forgetting the lack of legitimacy coming with conflict of interest. A lose-lose situation.
What conflict of interests does that raise?

Knurt

Reaction score
What conflict of interests does that raise?

editorial content directly connected to Shop items. Two businesses, one proclaming to be insightful about clothes, the other selling exactly the same clothes covered in the magazine. For me the magazine lost all credibility as it was an extension of the clothing shop.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
editorial content directly connected to Shop items. Two businesses, one proclaiming to be insightful about clothes, the other selling exactly the same clothes covered in the magazine. For me the magazine lost all credibility as it was an extension of the clothing shop.

I never really viewed The Rake so much as "proclaiming to be insightful about clothes", but more about promoting a certain category of goods and associated lifestyle. Not so different from those who have Youtube channels or podcasts who talk about things they like, review/feature associated products (sometimes of their own "brand"), and provide links to those products in show notes. (Think of Teddy Baldassarre's watch reviews and burgeoning online biz).

From the get go, given the adverts that appeared in the Rake, it came as no surprise when they started running feature stories on VBC, Breguet, Bell & Ross, etc. (then came out with limited run exclusive Bell & Ross watch models). I don't think there was any duplicitous premise, and pretty obvious they were promoting certain makers who were throwing money at them to support the publication. No different from many other mags' business models really.

Knurt

Reaction score
They certainly proclaimed to be insightful on style, which means cut and appearance - very much what is meant by being insightful about clothes.

Quarks

Reaction score

Facing exactly same with issue 84. I am been waiting for more than 4 weeks now.
They said issues with demand and printing.
Their customer service is one of the worst.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Facing exactly same with issue 84. I am been waiting for more than 4 weeks now.
They said issues with demand and printing.
Their customer service is one of the worst.

I've actually found their customer service reps reply to email inquires pretty quickly. Unfortunately in this most recent case regarding the delayed distribution of Issue 84 to the US, they don't have any good answers as to timeline.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A customer service rep told me they are planning to bundle issues 84 and 85 for US customers. No timeline, though.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A customer service rep told me they are planning to bundle issues 84 and 85 for US customers. No timeline, though.

Yup. I just received the same response from their rep today. I responded and asked them to extend my subscription by at least two issues. We'll see how that goes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads