• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Last time I tried online MTM was 10 years ago - how are things today?

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a colleague that's looking into buying a couple of suits, but unfortunately, he has quite the weird body shape, and MTM is most def. the only way to go. He's a heavy set guy, and wears around 50 R/L US / 60 R/L EU.

And even more unfortunate, is that we live a LONG way from any decent menswear shops. There's a lot of travel through work though, so at least 3-4 trips to NYC that tend to last for up to a week, and he's willing to pay around $2000-$3000 for each suit. But still, that doesn't really give much time for appointments and fittings, so we're trying to explore the online options first.

Last time I tried online MTM was some 10 years ago, and that was via black lapel. I got pretty decent results, but I also have a very easy body to work with, and rarely get bad results even if it's RTW. Not so much for my colleague - and I do remember all the horror stories from back then.

Anyway, I figured that since these companies have been active for more than 10 years in that space, things ought to have improved.

So, for those experienced with the online MTM process, what companies should we be looking into?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Others might have a better suggestion, but it strikes me as likely that if you go to NYC up to 4 times a year you could likely be there when some traveling outfits are swinging through.

MyTailor by Hemrajani, which is based out of Costa Mesa (south of Los Angeles), travels fairly often (or will again once the world gets back to traveling). I believe they were doing NYC a few times a year. Their travel schedule was fairly extensive before COVID, and they were doing many cities across the US and Canada.

They can produce a good product in your friends price range.

If I were him at that size I wouldn't want to submit measurements online.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The success of MTM depends on how close your body is to the block pattern. For someone with a 50L build, I would recommend bespoke. But at $3k, you may be hard-pressed to find a good tailor who will deliver a good bespoke suit.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
The success of MTM depends on how close your body is to the block pattern. For someone with a 50L build, I would recommend bespoke. But at $3k, you may be hard-pressed to find a good tailor who will deliver a good bespoke suit.
I would agree that MtM is hard if you have an unusual body shape, especially if you're hoping to do it online.

Cad&the Dandy has a permanent location in New York. Full bespoke, measured on location, cut in London, most of the tailoring done in India, with final fitting and adjustments on location. Expect around $1500 for a full, two piece suit, with prices going up for fancier fabrics. They do toile fittings for new fits, so expect at least 3 fittings the first time: toile fitting, fitting the real garment for adjustments, and a final fitting after adjustments. It's a longer process, but the result is absolutely worth it!

I've used their Swedish sister-company several times and been extremely happy with the results, and several people who have used classic Saville Row tailoring (everything done on location in London) have said the results match up. The only downside I've found is that since you cannot talk directly to the tailor doing the work, so if you want any truly customized details that's hard to convey in writing, that can be hard to get right.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It should also be mentioned we do not live in the US (actually in Norway), but frequently go on business trips to the US. So unfortunately multiple fittings will be difficult.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
It should also be mentioned we do not live in the US (actually in Norway), but frequently go on business trips to the US. So unfortunately multiple fittings will be difficult.
Greetings, fellow Scandinavian!

C&D that I mentioned above have a presence in Stockholm, which might make multiple fittings slightly more convenient. Also, as a bonus, the Swedish krona is basically monopoly money, so you can probably have a full suit for the price of a beer in Oslo.

I will say, once they nail a pattern for bespoke, the number of fittings go down drastically. The first one can be tricky, but after that you could TECHNICALLY have multiple items made on the same pattern. After a few tries, I've found my jacket pattern which we have essentially nailed down to exactly what I want, and now they can churn out jackets for me at the rate I can pay for them (much slower than I'd like!). Trousers are even easier, I'm fully confident that I could dial in an order and could have it shipped to me without trying the fit if I had to.

Blugiallo, another place I shop in Stockholm, do MtM with online measuring (I believe they consult over zoom to explain how to measure, and verifying you're doing it right), and their alteration services seem pretty good. I've only done trousers with MtM at them though, so I can't vouch for the suits. Obviously, the advantage of MtM is the measurements need to happen only once, and the disadvantage is that, like @dieworkwear mentioned above, it gets harder to get a good fit if you have an "unusual" body shape.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Based in posted threads here, I’d say worse.

adrianvo

Reaction score
I have a colleague that's looking into buying a couple of suits, but unfortunately, he has quite the weird body shape, and MTM is most def. the only way to go. He's a heavy set guy, and wears around 50 R/L US / 60 R/L EU.

And even more unfortunate, is that we live a LONG way from any decent menswear shops. There's a lot of travel through work though, so at least 3-4 trips to NYC that tend to last for up to a week, and he's willing to pay around $2000-$3000 for each suit. But still, that doesn't really give much time for appointments and fittings, so we're trying to explore the online options first.

Last time I tried online MTM was some 10 years ago, and that was via black lapel. I got pretty decent results, but I also have a very easy body to work with, and rarely get bad results even if it's RTW. Not so much for my colleague - and I do remember all the horror stories from back then.

Anyway, I figured that since these companies have been active for more than 10 years in that space, things ought to have improved.

So, for those experienced with the online MTM process, what companies should we be looking into?
Hvis dere bor i Oslo er det flere gode steder for MTM, men de beste blir nok de som er mest mulig niché.

Dere kan jo høre med St. James, Cavour, og Made with Hart blant annet. Alle de tilbyr MTM, så du kan jo be om litt innsikt i hvordan dresser/blazere til folk med lignende kropp har blitt.

Mond har også nylig åpnet i sentrum, kanskje verdt å sjekke ut.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bor ikke i Oslo, men har vært innom the usual suspects før - Ferner, L'escalier, Høyer, Gunnar Øye, o.l. Il Pantheon virket ganske interessant når jeg var innom der, men hører han har lagt ned for en stund siden.

Cavour har vært på radaren, men ikke hørt om resten du nevnte. Disse ser jo også interessante ut, får håpe de som tar mål har god erfaring med slikt.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.