• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is easier?

tsloop

Reaction score
I have a size 31 waist and I was wondering which would be better, should I buy size 32 pants and have them taken in an inch, or buy size 30 and have them let our an inch? I've been looking at a bunch of pants on ebay but I would like some opinions on which would be easier before I buy any.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's probably smarter at your size to buy them a little bigger and take them in, especially because sizes vary and if you get a really small 30 you won't have the room to alter them enough.

Also, is it more likely that you will lose or gain weight? If you are heavier than normal right now you might be able to get away with altering a small size up and then back when you lose the weight, whereas if you are likely to gain weight (starting a workout program, going into the holiday eating season etc)you will want the larger size to be able to let it out.

smokinggun

Reaction score
How much bigger can slacks be before altering them to fit becomes too arduous for an average tailor? Is it foolhardy to even think of buying a size 34 when I'm a 30?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How much bigger can slacks be before altering them to fit becomes too arduous for an average tailor? Is it foolhardy to even think of buying a size 34 when I'm a 30?
First, measure the waist to be sure they will really need to be taken in 4". Depending on the cut, where they are supposed to ride (waist? hip? midthigh?), the manufacturer's labeling tendencies and the phase of the moon, a 34" may mean anything. I have some 34s that barely fit me and some 30s that are comfortable but not even snug.

Altering is a question of balance. Whether the back pockets will appear too close together and the line of the crease up the back of the leg will be thrown off is the major concern. Also, since I assume most average tailors will be altering only from the rear seam, the side pockets may end up too far back as well. Anyone can sew a new seat seam two inches in from the original and call it a 34"->30" transformation. The question is whether the pants will be presentable afterwards. My guess in general is no.

tsloop

Reaction score
I went to the tailor and asked to have what was supposed to be a size 33 let in and they told me that because of the way the pants are it would make the back pockets too close. They also said that they could make them fit but they would have to take the pants in from the sides and "reconstruct" them so it would cost $92, which was a little too much to spend on a $20 pair of zanella pants I got on ebay. I think how much they can take the pants in depends on the way the pants are constructed basically.

bestmastertailor

Reaction score
Your seat measurement dictates what waist size you should buy. Take your seat measurement and subtract 6. That will give you the correct waist size. So if you are of "normal proportion", and have a 31 waist, then your seat should measure 37. That said, good luck in finding a selection of 31 waist trousers. Let's say your seat measures 38, buy the 32 and take the waist in 1", let's say your seat measures 36 or less, buy the 30s and let out the waist.

tsloop

Reaction score
Well, I had a break so I figured I would go and measure my "seat" and it was 38'' so I think a size 32 would be much better. Thanks for all the help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads