• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is beauty?

Alexis

Reaction score
What about someone in the middle, someone fun, not as an ideal, not for her clothing?
myfriendLena.jpg

christian

Reaction score
Oh really. There had been a recent thread on askandy where they were talking about american trad. Among other things, they were saying how influential it is, with even the GAP trying to emulate the theme of american trad. According to them, today's college students still wear blazers, rep ties to football games and still dress up for class. I thought that my classmates and I must have been slumming, and maybe every other college student had been dressing better than us.
I have never seen this. Â College student dress like that in GAP and J.Crew ads. Â There is definitely a preppy influence at Harvard and other NE schools right now, but the people on Ask Andy are otherwise just plain incorrect.
I was just trying to be satrical. I'm sure they mean well but sometimes, I find their comments to be unattentionaly funny. Right now, there's a thread 14+ pages long about 'American Trad.' Nothing wrong with that, but they're in thrall to it so much that they're claiming that GAP is emulating this. I wouldn't disagree with J. Crew, but they're claiming that the GAP is. And, sometimes, I feel that the advice they give young adults is way off by telling them to dress up in a blazer to go to a football game or by telling them that wearing bowties are so cool. I'm not a fan of bowties, but you need to be at least 45 to pull that off. When I was in college, it was hard enough to get me in pants.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Alexis is really an authentic identity, her pictures are quite striking. Actually, I thought about her avatar when the article described the idealized Jewish beauty--olive complexion, silky straight hair, and curvy figure.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of the former Harvard alums actually agree with the assertions made in this article?  Most of my friends attended either top notch private (Stanford, Columbia, Yale, Northwestern, Andover and Milton for high school, etc.) or public schools (Cal, UMich, UVa, etc.) and don't ascribe to the WASP hierarchy as far as standards of beauty.  Actually, I think cute Asian girls are de rigeur amongst most of my peers.

Recently, I've found myself attracted to a disproportionate number of (Southasian) Indian and Jewish women.  Unfortunately, I'm Asian which doesn't bode well for dating either group...

fopkid

Reaction score
interesting question norcal. on average, i find women of mixed racial heritage (asian/black, asian/white, black/white) very attractive.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Harvard students are all nerdy and book worm. I thougt this is something I would expect from ULA or UWO.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm Asian which doesn't bode well for dating either group...

I'm Asian too, and I dated all types of women (strangely, though, not a lot of other Asians) before I meeting my fiancee, who is a Caucasian from Texas and Arkansas. My personal experience is that more educated and more urbane women are generally more willing to date men of different and/or diverse ethnicities.

And I always thought that the fetish white guys have for Asian women was a little creepy.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My personal experience is that more educated and more urbane women are generally more willing to date men of different and/or diverse ethnicities.  
Agreed.  I would add that women who lean Democratic/liberal politically are more willing to date interracially than women who lean Republican/conservative.  Perhaps I should join the Young Democrats or the Sierra Club . . .

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Alexis is really an authentic identity...
Well... we have, Sandy.jpg, MyFriendLena.jpg, the D&G anorexic thing, and a name like Alexis, so if its not Marc, its certainly someone that could give him a run for his money...

JJF

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... we have, Sandy.jpg, MyFriendLena.jpg, the D&G anorexic thing, and a name like Alexis, so if its not Marc, its certainly someone that could give him a run for his money...

JJF

Let's just leave it alone. If it is a spoof, ignoring it is the best thing we could do. Besides, who cares, as long as the questions/posts are reasonable? I am starting to think that you guys seriously need to get out more.

Taliesin

Reaction score
I'm not sure what that article is complaining about. Â As far as I can tell, this is the "15 hottest" piece from earlier in the year: http://www.thecrimson.com/article.aspx?ref=358172 Not very many blondes, really. Â I also find the resentment expressed towards those with a preference for WASP beauty standards to be a bit over the top. Â People like what they like.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My rules for dating a person are simple: first find physical attraction then, find mental attraction. You won't talk to them without physical attraction, but at the same time won't date them without mental attraction. In other words, it's the mental attraction that is the quencher.

Jon.

P.S. I'll date anyone whom belongs to any human separation (religion, color, beliefs, etc...) as long as the top two conditions meet my particular requirements; this isn't theoretical physics, it's just dating. Go out, have a good time, share yourself with someone, get lucky...

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose I could pitch in on all this, but what is this thread doing in a clothing/style forum? It just seems inappopriate--kind of like introducing a troll thread (I think that's the term for it) on "Who's the hottest babe in Hollywood?"

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aesthetics is a branch of philosophy. Kant argued it, Nietzsche did as well. So one can hardly think a point as this can be concluded in any sort of decided manner.

Eric

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I'm Asian which doesn't bode well for dating either group...
I'm Asian too, and I dated all types of women (strangely, though, not a lot of other Asians) before I meeting my fiancee, who is a Caucasian from Texas and Arkansas. Â My personal experience is that more educated and more urbane women are generally more willing to date men of different and/or diverse ethnicities. Â And I always thought that the fetish white guys have for Asian women was a little creepy.
And I always thought that the fetish white guys have for Asian women was a little creepy.
Okay, I take offence to that. I'm a white man, and while I have a thing for all women (especially Persians) I find myself constantly dating Asian women. They repersent themselves in strong numbers in places I frequent so I guess I'm just taking what I can get, but I do think I have a thing for Asian women. Why on earth is that creepy? Is it also creepy that some white women like only black men and vice versa? If I do have a thing for Asian women why does that make me "creepy"? Eric

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics