• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is beauty?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I can say is that I am thoroughly bored with the generic Harvard blonde. With their Seven or Citizens of Humanity jeans and pastel shirts/tanks. Of course, I was never really a preppy guy into preppy girls. And... undergraduates are by and large idiots. I know. I was one once, and I T.A.'d them for the longest time.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting.

Concerning the bit about Asians: I don't know if it's right to react towards the popularity of the WASP culture with such protectionism. It comes across as insecurity to me. I think what they can do is embrace it and shape it to suit their own needs and whims.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All I can say to that is: OY VEY.

You know people have the gall to criticize my multi-thousand dollar items (or tens of thousands in the case of a few choice horological acquisitions) but then the same people spend the same amount of money (or more) on unnecessary plastic surgery.

Now, I dress the way I do for me, because at 21 and living in Florida, 3-piece suits (or even simple casual sports coats for that matter) are definitely not a "˜sociable' dress item. Whereas people who opt for elective surgery are only doing it to fit into society, to conform to the standard set by a few magazine editors, fashion designers, and advertising executives. It's nice to see that the once honorable medical profession has been tarnished by it's new found methodology of selling beauty to anyone not lucky enough to win the "˜genetic lottery'; which indecently changes from time to time and one civilizations, nay one generations perspective of beauty can and often is different than the others.

You want Shakespeare? This should be more than sufficient:

"To thine own self be true"

Jon.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not very many people hold to that idea here in Seoul, sadly. That double-eyelid thing is very, very popular. So is other, more dramatic, surgery. I'm currently undergoing an orthodontic procedure to narrow my jaw profile, and I visit the dentist and dermatologist weekly. This city is a land of appearances.

gregory

Reaction score
I found it so heart-breaking to hear the half-white, half-African American woman describe how she would be the last one picked up when she goes to bars with her white female friends.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having trobule picturing the eyelid thing with Asians. Could somebody post a picture of what they're talking about? I don't understand why that would be such a big deal unless its to open up the eyes.

As for influence of WASPs beauty ideal, I would say it has its limits. If you ever go to Asia, the women always carry umbrellas to shield themselves from the sun to make their skin whiter. However, the WASP ideal, is a woman who appears somewhat athletic and has a tan.

Was I the only person here who thought, yeah, that asian woman is more attractive than those other girls.

Gregory,
I read a book that you might find real interesting. Unfortunately, i cannot remember the title or the author. But, basically, it showed the underlying scientific reasons why we find certain features beautiful.

For example, they said that eyes are considered more attractive when you can tell if the person is interested in you. That's why in the middle ages, women used bella donna to widen their pupils which is an indicator of attraction. To carry it further, you could argue blue eyes are attractive because they reveal more than brown eyes how attracted you are to other people.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny how these Harvard kids all just kind of assume they are the are the elite center of the universe. Give me a break.

Having attended Harvard, let me also add that the women there really on average aren't that attractive, regarless of race, color, or creed. For women, you're much better off looking at BU. Or even better, somewhere out of state.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Funny how these Harvard kids all just kind of assume they are the are the elite center of the universe. Give me a break.

Having attended Harvard, let me also add that the women there really on average aren't that attractive, regarless of race, color, or creed. For women, you're much better off looking at BU. Or even better, somewhere out of state.
Well, elitism at Harvard aside, I have seen girls at BU and some were quite appetizing whilst others were (for lack of a better term) bag-nasty. I think every school has its good and bad looking people (which of course is a personal perspective).

Jon.

fopkid

Reaction score
as a pretty recent harvard alum, i'll agree that the big irony of the fm article is that, a few outliers aside, harvard students are none too beautiful. and notwithstanding the gist of the article, many don't even try. for every harvard woman who puts in effort, there's one who's content to show up at class in pj bottoms or sweatpants.

christian

Reaction score
as a pretty recent harvard alum, i'll agree that the big irony of the fm article is that, a few outliers aside, harvard students are none too beautiful.  and notwithstanding the gist of the article, many don't even try.  for every harvard woman who puts in effort, there's one who's content to show up at class in pj bottoms or sweatpants.
Oh really. There had been a recent thread on askandy where they were talking about american trad. Among other things, they were saying how influential it is, with even the GAP trying to emulate the theme of american trad. According to them, today's college students still wear blazers, rep ties to football games and still dress up for class. I thought that my classmates and I must have been slumming, and maybe every other college student had been dressing better than us.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh really. There had been a recent thread on askandy where they were talking about american trad. Among other things, they were saying how influential it is, with even the GAP trying to emulate the theme of american trad. According to them, today's college students still wear blazers, rep ties to football games and still dress up for class. I thought that my classmates and I must have been slumming, and maybe every other college student had been dressing better than us.

I have never seen this. College student dress like that in GAP and J.Crew ads. There is definitely a preppy influence at Harvard and other NE schools right now, but the people on Ask Andy are otherwise just plain incorrect.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beauty is the imagination's favorite distraction

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics