• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
I was looking through a vintage store and saw beautiful suits and overcoats and when I checked the labels I see designer brands such as Prada, Gucci, Christian Dior, YSL, etc. It made me decide to go into some of their stores and see how the new suits are and I was just thinking "What happened?". If anyone is really intrigued by these top designer brands in terms of suits and classic menswear I'd definitely recommend looking vintage over any of their things. Would others have the same advice or do you think differently?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Menswear was always secondary to those brands which rely on women buying new clothes (and handbags) every year; most men don’t do that. As mentioned above, they often licensed the menswear to other manufacturers, of varying quality and style.

So you might find things you like from them, and they might be good quality. The styles could be seriously outdated as those companies counted on cycling trends to boost sales, such as low gorges or ‘80s power suits with armored shoulders.

If I were shopping for vintage tailored menswear I’d probably focus on more classic brands like Ralph Lauren, which generally age better style wise. Mostly I would just look for things I like that fit well, regardless of brand.

But all I buy vintage is workwear like Levi’s denim shirts, and things like Lacoste sweaters. The last piece of vintage tailored clothing I bought was a Harris tweed Norfolk jacket by Orvis (the hunting-fishing brand) ten years ago. I still wear it.

Bankers_Stripes

Reaction score
I feel the same. The only companies that I feel still make a small amount of passable, conservative style suits are Burberry and Gucci (believe it or not). Can’t stand the tiny half-inch lapels that I see on Dior suits, they are an abomination. But knowing what I know about suit construction, I would never buy Burberry again (I do own one half canvassed Burberry London Suit that’s basically one of my “beater” suits I don’t care about) and if I got a Gucci suit it would have to be massively discounted and tasteful with no gaudiness.

Maxalex gives a good answer above as to why things are the way they are with these brands.

Steves40th396

Reaction score
Menswear was always secondary to those brands which rely on women buying new clothes (and handbags) every year; most men don’t do that. As mentioned above, they often licensed the menswear to other manufacturers, of varying quality and style.

So you might find things you like from them, and they might be good quality. The styles could be seriously outdated as those companies counted on cycling trends to boost sales, such as low gorges or ‘80s power suits with armored shoulders.

If I were shopping for vintage tailored menswear I’d probably focus on more classic brands like Ralph Lauren, which generally age better style wise. Mostly I would just look for things I like that fit well, regardless of brand.

But all I buy vintage is workwear like Levi’s denim shirts, and things like Lacoste sweaters. The last piece of vintage tailored clothing I bought was a Harris tweed Norfolk jacket by Orvis (the hunting-fishing brand) ten years ago. I still wear it.
Just to clarify, are you saying some manufactures of designer clothing may have other companies manufacture their clothing for men? Or just give them the patterns etc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads