• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What gives with all the catty, rude and inane replies?

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Guy-Montag
There's a time and place for everything, but what gives with all the catty, rude and otherwise inane replies to the most general of topics?

Part of being a gentleman is having manners, no?

Welcome_To_The_Internet.jpg

Guy-Montag

Reaction score
In that case, I'll adjust my expectations to be in line with the audience found on somethingawful, 4chan, etc.

It really does limit discourse though - "Never argue with an idiot. They will only pull you down to their level, then beat you with experience."

"This is why we can't have nice things."

*shrug*

C'est la vie.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"This is the usual rule for most internet discourse", implying that this forum might be the exception.

Right. May I suggest you stop insulting everyone in your passive-aggressive style and move on to more interesting topics?

Guy-Montag

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
Right. May I suggest you stop insulting everyone in your passive-aggressive style and move on to more interesting topics?

*Yawn*

You're boring.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
*Yawn*

You're boring.

One more insult for your score board?

Guy-Montag

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
So you pretend to have manners but are willing to leave them at home while on here?

Dude, totally.

Manners are only useful in an environment where others respect them. Much like dressing with style.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, totally.

Manners are only useful in an environment where others respect them. Much like dressing with style.

What gives with the catty, rude, and inane reply?

biggrin.gif
sorry I couldn't help myself.

The snark does get annoying when it's not funny, but it's awesome when it is. Way too many edmorel wannabes, not enough edmorel

Guy-Montag

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
What gives with the catty, rude, and inane reply?

biggrin.gif
sorry I couldn't help myself.

The snark does get annoying when it's not funny, but it's awesome when it is. Way too many edmorel wannabes, not enough edmorel

Sadly there's no convention for describing the tone of a reply in text, making it problematic to distinguish between when someone's being serious and when they're being sarcastic.

"Manners are only useful in an environment where others respect them. Much like dressing with style." was entirely serious and the analogy was used for purposes of clarity, rather than trying to be snarky.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you know on sufu we use the sarcasm meter. (0) being absolutely serious. (10) being absolutely not.

for example

you're an idiot (10)

would mean i'm being absolutely sarcastic

Guy-Montag

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
you know on sufu we use the sarcasm meter. (0) being absolutely serious. (10) being absolutely not.

for example

you're an idiot (10)

would mean i'm being absolutely sarcastic

Sounds like an excellent solution, you should submit it for the next edition of Strunk & White's Elements of Style! (9)

There should be one for replies uttered in a Dirty Harry style of voice also, because ending every one of those with 'Do you feel lucky, punk?' is silly. (3)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics