• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think NYC is missing ?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
"Good" & 'mexican food". Does not compute for me.

next time you come to chicago, dinners on me, and I'll take you for some good mexican.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
SF Chinois blows NYC Chinois out of the tub.

yeah, but unfortunatly NYC chinese blows chicago out of the tub.

that said, I think that chinese is one of the few things that ny does better than chicago

as to the OPs quesiton - NYC city could use some good gelato. better indian, better mexican. a beach in the city

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter

as to the OPs quesiton - NYC city could use some good gelato. better indian, better mexican. a beach in the city

I take it you're not a fan of Labatoria Il' Gelato ?

Image, I'll agree. Miami does have better cuban. As far as Argentinian, I'm not so sure.

em36

Reaction score
All these places and more are available in NY. You just have to leave the city, and go to Queens or Brooklyn.

jc138

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ConcernedParent
LA and SF are basically the Chinese food mecca's in America......
It's really good in LA and SF, but I'll take my NYC places, most of which are admittedly in Queens, any day.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the best gelato in nyc was (is!) made by gino cammarata. he & his brother, enzo, ran bussuola on 4th ave for almost 20 yrs and then disappeared overnight
frown.gif
. enzo opened his own place in the w. 50's but only lasted a couple of weeks. i stumbled across this article this summer:

http://www.villagevoice.com/2009-08-...ta-gelato-king

the cammaratas are alive & well in bay ridge!

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Closer proximity to cool places for day/weekend trips.
From LA I can travel to SF, LV, Arizona, The Sequoias, Lake Tahoe, Mammoth in a couple of hours. NYC has Philly, DC, Connecticut, Lake George, Montauk etc. I found myself never leaving Manhattan unless I had an overseas trip.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jc138
It's really good in LA and SF, but I'll take my NYC places, most of which are admittedly in Queens, any day.
When in New York ... I'm just fine with my local options. When in SF ... I'm just fine with my local options. However when it comes to LA ... I do what is necessary to avoid having a need of any kind of local option.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You want a Costco in midtown? Maybe a Walmart in Soho as well?
laugh.gif

There is K-Mart under Astor Place. I think Walmart wanted to open in one of the boroughs last year but some "community activists" convinced members of the NYC clown council members to keep the city free of this "scourge." Not sure why they opposed Walmart but not K-Mart or Target.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Closer proximity to cool places for day/weekend trips.
From LA I can travel to SF, LV, Arizona, The Sequoias, Lake Tahoe, Mammoth in a couple of hours. NYC has Philly, DC, Connecticut, Lake George, Montauk etc. I found myself never leaving Manhattan unless I had an overseas trip.

hmmm. l.a. to tahoe is 7.5 hrs. - from manhattan you could be anywhere from canada to ohio to n. carolina....

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
hmmm. l.a. to tahoe is 7.5 hrs. - from manhattan you could be anywhere from canada to ohio to n. carolina....

yup. And i try to make as many visits to Montreal and Toronto. I dig those cities..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics