• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do You Think Is The Best Department Store?

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would consider BG more a clothing store than a department store.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob
Those are the most expensive melons i have ever seen.

Well I knew this stripper once who'd beg to differ...
rimshot.gif

presence

Reaction score
Target is the best department store. Buying at Target gets you the most bang for your buck. It sells quality merchandise at an affordable price. It is not top shelf merchandise, but sometimes it can pass. You can find some nice pieces of furniture, housewares, and accessories. It is great for boxers, t-shirts, and items to be in lazy in. Plus, it feels clean.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Target is the best department store.
Damn, I forgot all about Target. It's so much better than Walmart/Kmart, its a relatively inexpensive department store without the cheap fools who really need the mega-gigantic pallet of toilet paper or whatever.

JB

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Au contraire, Carsons has been shuttered.
frown.gif

This is distressing to learn! When did this happen? Are all locations closed? What will become of the huge building flagship on State?

Jerry

Jerry52

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
My favorites in Japan are

Wako
800px-Wako1000.jpg

Mylord (of only for the name and three floors of food-court!)
dscn7946mylordstg0.jpg

Mitsukoshi Ginza
img_6019.jpg

The Wako building exterior is most to my own taste- old-fashioned, curved front and beautiful 'landmark" clock on top...

Jerry52

Reaction score
For those of you who mentioned Harrod's, there have been occasional rumors that they might open a department store here in USA. Has anyone heard more about that? Often rumors are no more than rumors.

Would anyone nominate IKEA? They have several US locations, but I suppose are more an avant-garde furniture store than full-line department store.

No-one has filled us in on the status of fine department stores in Canada. Surely there must be some? Or in Mexico?

Jerry

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's rather surprising that no one mentioned the always fun Harvey Nichols or the now remodeled Peter Jones in London! Mentioned just above, Liberty is fun with all of their logoed items. I've never been to Selfridges.

________

Of course, the whale is GUM in Moscow. The façade measures more than eight hundred fifty feet in length. The GUM in Minsk is a bit more modest! However, a visit to either is a trip in Wells' Time Machine. Gostiny Dvor in Saint Petersburg is definitely not worth a visit.
________

GUM in Moscow is directly on Red Square.

Russia-MoscowGUM.jpg

________

GUM in Minsk

Belarus-MinskGUM.jpg

________

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I like Harrod's. Fortnum & Mason is not really a department store but I remember seeing a small clothing collection there.

F&M's men's clothing section has closed. I bought a very nice lightweight Italian suit there and went back looking for more but the department no longer existed.

This may be part of their complete refurbishment project which has been going on the last year or more but I suspect not. When it's all finished F&M will be very smart in a slightly more modern way than they used to be.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orren Boyle
Yep, its next door to my office. Nothing to write home about if you ask me.

Great forum, btw.

My girlfriend goes to Sweden once a year and once brought me back a Corneliani tie from Nordiska Kompaniet. She likes it because they have Japanese-speaking salespeople.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads