• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you suppose the median income of Styleform members is?

Coburn

Reaction score

[cough]
9r65ug.jpg

Hey. Manolo Blahnik signed your diploma. Did you get shoes?

Jaggs

Reaction score
Well, I just bought some Levi's from Macy's, so that median income figure better watch out. Free shipping, Son!

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That may be the case, but would a car enthusiast with a moderate income go out and buy a brand new Ferrari? Because when you consider the ratios between a Ferrari and a "normal" car and the ratio between clothes which, to me at least, appears to be a basic standard on Styleforum, it seems to be on par with that.

1) A car enthusiast will have a lower salary threshold they need to get to before buying a Ferrari than a non-car enthusiast, yes.
2) Cars are generally more expensive than clothes. Just as it's less absurd, with an average income, to spend ten times as much on baseball cards than the average person if you're a baseball cald collector than it would be to spend ten times as much on cars, again with the average income, than the average person, spending ten times as much on clothing than the average person is also less absurd, in the sense that it is possible, by economizing on other things, to spend much more than most people on clothes with the average income and remain financially solvent. The same is not true of cars.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) A car enthusiast will have a lower salary threshold they need to get to before buying a Ferrari than a non-car enthusiast, yes.
2) Cars are generally more expensive than clothes. Just as it's less absurd, with an average income, to spend ten times as much on baseball cards than the average person if you're a baseball cald collector than it would be to spend ten times as much on cars, again with the average income, than the average person, spending ten times as much on clothing than the average person is also less absurd, in the sense that it is possible, by economizing on other things, to spend much more than most people on clothes with the average income and remain financially solvent. The same is not true of cars.

In the case of car enthusiasts, if you consider money spent on aftermarket parts and tuning and not amount spent on purchasing cars, it would make much more sense and less absurd.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Even on the individual level (which I think is the real question), you have to look at the demographics of the site. The country average is less (maybe 5-6% over 100k) but if you start concentrating on the urban centers that most SF posters come from, it starts to look better--lot of SF posters from places like NYC where salaries like that are a lot more common.....

Both the mean and median HHI of the NYC posters I've met are definitely in the six figure range and probably approach the "fallback" job range.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Both the mean and median HHI of the NYC posters I've met are definitely in the six figure range and probably approach the "fallback" job range.

Definitely no sampling bias there :p.

Last edited:

HarleyBob

Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PM me immediately with their identities - I'm going to need to hit them up for the $1K baller donation to the Ronald MacDonald House.

mcbrown

Reaction score

That may be the case, but would a car enthusiast with a moderate income go out and buy a brand new Ferrari? Because when you consider the ratios between a Ferrari and a "normal" car and the ratio between clothes which, to me at least, appears to be a basic standard on Styleforum, it seems to be on par with that.

You really are an effective troll - I can't help feeding you for some reason.

Ratio is a stupid way to think about this. Yes, it's true that 3,000/300=250,000/25,000, but the absolute difference is much larger. Someone of fairly modest income can find an extra $2,000 to spend on clothes in a year by scrimping elsewhere. They can't find an extra $225,000 to drop on an exotic car. Not to mention that the real cost of an exotic car is the maintenance - as they say, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari.

Audiophiles are a better comp. A budget stereo nut can probably put together a basic "audiophile-approved" system for a few grand. To me that is a silly expenditure - I just don't give a crap, I live in a noisy city, and my $200 system from 20 years ago is fine with me. Frankly my crappy iPhone earphones are fine with me. But just because a normal person like me doesn't drop that kind of money on it doesn't mean it is out of reach for a normal budget - if I wanted to spend that kind of money on audio I'd just have to spend less on clothes, shoes, car, etc. Instead, I'd rather have $500 shoes and $50 speakers than $50 shoes and $500 speakers. Simple as that.

mcbrown

Reaction score

To paraphrase the immortal Patrick Ewing, sure New Yorkers make a lot of money, but we spend a lot too. :)

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OinkBoink

Reaction score
false on the 44%, thats ludicrous.
The article said that the 1%'s share of all income in the city hit 44%, not that 44% of the city's residents earn $344k or more.

It also contradicts itself in the "highlights" section at the top: "Roughly 44 percent of New York City residents made the top 1 percent in 2007".

#OccupyBankRate

OinkBoink

Reaction score
You really are an effective troll - I can't help feeding you for some reason.
Ratio is a stupid way to think about this. Yes, it's true that 3,000/300=250,000/25,000, but the absolute difference is much larger. Someone of fairly modest income can find an extra $2,000 to spend on clothes in a year by scrimping elsewhere. They can't find an extra $225,000 to drop on an exotic car. Not to mention that the real cost of an exotic car is the maintenance - as they say, there is nothing more expensive than a cheap Ferrari.
Audiophiles are a better comp. A budget stereo nut can probably put together a basic "audiophile-approved" system for a few grand. To me that is a silly expenditure - I just don't give a crap, I live in a noisy city, and my $200 system from 20 years ago is fine with me. Frankly my crappy iPhone earphones are fine with me. But just because a normal person like me doesn't drop that kind of money on it doesn't mean it is out of reach for a normal budget - if I wanted to spend that kind of money on audio I'd just have to spend less on clothes, shoes, car, etc. Instead, I'd rather have $500 shoes and $50 speakers than $50 shoes and $500 speakers. Simple as that.

Somebody in this thread mentioned spending $50,000 on clothes...

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Well my current zip code is 96% white, 65% of the people living there make over $250k and 38% have secondary degrees. Wait a second.... do I live... in teh StyleForvm?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads