• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you suppose the median income of Styleform members is?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[cough]
9r65ug.jpg

Congratulations...

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wouldn't describe it as an "interest" so much as a "standard".

Ok...I have no idea what the useful distinction you see to be between the two. Forum members here can, for the most part, tell the difference between a $300 suit and a $3000 suit. Many people cannot. For this reason, more of them are willing to spend the extra money for the better suit, or spend time and energy looking for good deals on those suits here or on eBay. I don't understand how this could be a shock to you. Did you just want to make fun of people for spending too much time and money on clothing?

OinkBoink

Reaction score
In most enthusiast groups, the members of said group will spend more than the general population on the object of their enthusiasm. Car enthusiasts spend more on their cars (either because they buy more expensive cars, or they buy a greater number of cars, or they buy more "interesting" cars that require more maintenance than a Camry or other rolling appliance, or they invest in tools to work on said cars, etc.). Audio enthusiasts spend more on their audio systems. Baseball enthusiasts spend more to attend games than non-enthusiasts. Etc., etc. Higher disposable income is helpful in supporting any of these habits, but they can also be supported to some extent by prioritizing and reducing spending in other areas.
That may be the case, but would a car enthusiast with a moderate income go out and buy a brand new Ferrari? Because when you consider the ratios between a Ferrari and a "normal" car and the ratio between clothes which, to me at least, appears to be a basic standard on Styleforum, it seems to be on par with that.

I'm not trying to be critical. I was just curious if this really is a genuine a passionate group of enthusiasts as you describe who spend a (very) disproportionate amount of their income of clothes or if everyone is simply loaded out their ying yang.

That said, I find the style advice rather interesting and informative. So don't take it as though I'm mocking anybody.

OinkBoink

Reaction score
Oh, I have no opinion. I just know the thing exists. But can't anybody sit for the CPA exam?

No. There's a minimum number of accounting classes and overall semester hours (I think 160 overall. Don't remember how many accounting credits) plus a work experience requirement.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That may be the case, but would a car enthusiast with a moderate income go out and buy a brand new Ferrari? Because when you consider the ratios between a Ferrari and a "normal" car and the ratio between clothes which, to me at least, appears to be a basic standard on Styleforum, it seems to be on par with that.

I'm not trying to be critical. I was just curious if this really is a genuine a passionate group of enthusiasts as you describe who spend a (very) disproportionate amount of their income of clothes or if everyone is simply loaded out their ying yang.

That said, I find the style advice rather interesting and informative. So don't take it as though I'm mocking anybody.

I'd argue that many of the people who shout the loudest about certain clothes are the one who are doing the bespoke/mtm suits at the higher price tags.

The rest of us are wearing our $800-$2000 suits and not saying much about it because they are typically OTR with a little tailoring here or there. Not much excitement or uniqueness to discuss.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also gave the Latin Address for my class. It was a proud moment.
B, I can only imagine the eloquence and grace of your delivery.. :)

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd argue that many of the people who shout the loudest about certain clothes are the one who are doing the bespoke/mtm suits at the higher price tags.

this being the internet and all, i doubt there is much correlation between the firmness with which an opinion is held and actual experience. i remember when i started in this forum a couple of years ago there was a poster who was very vociferous and seemed extremely learned on the subject of bespoke clothing. impressive. then, piecing together evidence from other threads, turns out he was a high school kid in the midwest.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree, and I know for a fact some of the less vocal (in terms of their own clothing) members have A LOT of nice and very expensive items.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

this being the internet and all, i doubt there is much correlation between the firmness with which an opinion is held and actual experience. i remember when i started in this forum a couple of years ago there was a poster who was very vociferous and seemed extremely learned on the subject of bespoke clothing. impressive. then, piecing together evidence from other threads, turns out he was a high school kid in the midwest.

Mafoofan is from the East coast, actually, and he's no longer in high school.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

No. There's a minimum number of accounting classes and overall semester hours (I think 160 overall. Don't remember how many accounting credits) plus a work experience requirement.
Fascinating. Can you share more about accounting and its ways?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads