• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you normally spend on a pair of Jeans?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
let's see.....

i think i got my ES filson, fulton, and hutch, plus nudie straight sven one wash-worn around 60-80 each from the usual web sites. got a pair of BYA's (bleh) around 50, same website as the nudie's and the fulton (context, i think).

got a pair of ES rotton's for $42 shipped and a pair of Corpus benko's for $31 shipped from Ebay. don't really like them, though. i don't think tapered jeans work for me....

i'm kind of nervous about breaking the $100 barrier. although, 2 years ago, my barrier for jeans was $25.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My AI-001 throws the average out of wack, but I'd probably say ~ $300

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Mine range from 140-300, would have been 350+ if I didn't find a deal.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
300-600 USD for a pair of jeans. The costliest I've paid is 750 for a pair of Jomons by 45 RPM.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
it could just be that i am much less financially stable than other members of this board... but i guess i didn't expect to see so many people spending so much on jeans.

Coulomb

Reaction score
100-380

100's for my Diesels that I purchased back in high school and 380 for my Self Edge X Ironheart collaborations.

I've been eyeing some of the AWA Oni's, PBJ's, and maybe Jomons, as I do not have any natural indigo jeans in my rotation. I won't be pulling the trigger anytime in the near future since there's already too many jeans in my stockpile.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I had another bit of curiosity pop up.

Do you associate price-point with quality and fashionability?

Do you feel like you have to spend atleast a certain ammount to get quality jeans?

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie

Do you feel like you have to spend atleast a certain ammount to get quality jeans?

not at all. I have like 3 pairs of $30 Lebis 514, and I often entertain teh notion that they are the best-fitting jeans I know... then I think about how much the others in my arsenal cost, and force msyelf to come up with reasons why the 514s suck.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think in general a higher price point implies higher quality, but there are plenty of exceptions to the rule.

That said, quality isn't the only reason we purchase clothing. There are other criteria like fit that are just as, if not more, important.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie

quality yes, fashionablity no. i've never paid MSRP for a pair of premium denim jeans, i guess i'm just lucky and have been able to either get them on sale at local shops like denim bar and chain stores like barneys coop, or i find good deals on eBay or cultizm.

i guess i shop like a girl in the sense that if i see the product i'm looking for, i don't necessarily buy it right away, but i try to see if i can get it somewhere else for cheaper before i fork over my hard-earned cash.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Depends what you're looking for. STFs are cheap but i don't think they're fashionable at all. I don't like the way they fit and it's not like the denim looks/feels that great. If you want to be cheap and get a pair of relax fit jeans, then go for it though. You can get levis 514s in a dark wash or even the rigid version for about $40 too if you want to slim it up slightly. The fit is better than STFs by far.

If you're into slim/skinny denim, you can get levis 511 in raw and the fit is pretty decent for the price. Same with cheap monday if you're into really skinny jeans. The quality on both in terms of construction, the look/feel of the denim isn't that great though.

APCs are only $110 and sometimes less if you buy of someone selling them and are a big jump up from levis/cheap monday/gap raws. Nudies can be found for less than $150 too, not even on sale. I like the denim on APCs better than nudie but nudie has a larger variety of fits. Acne on sale(like at denimbar now) can be had under $150 but the denim isn't that great and the fits aren't for everyone(very low rises).

When you jump up to the $200-300 range, the world opens up though. You have so much variety in terms of fit(not just slim vs. relaxed but every possible measurement you'd want) denim texture, color, dye methods, hardware, slubbiness, details, etc.... Not to mention, most of them are well made. Some of them(samurai but i think samurai has addressed this lately or is going to) use natural fibers for stitching to be more authentic, but some people who wear their jeans really hard and skate in them and such, have had wearing issues. That's not a widespread problem though as i think the japanese brands are fixing that. In addition to the japanese brands(samurai, flathead, pbj, denime, eternal, sda, etc..) there are American brands such as Rag and Bone and 5EP which are top notch in terms of quality and have some respected fits and denim.

Long story short, most people here can probably be "satisfied" with a pair of STF or levis 514s but ultimately want more as those jeans just aren't very good considering what's out there. So much more can be had if you're just willing to invest some in terms of quality, construction, fit, measurements, denim, etc...

edit: Once you try on and own multiple jeans, you get to know the measurements you want. For example, I like my PBJs, but i'd like some slight changes to them to make them fit perfect. If i could pick a perfect measurement for a pair of jeans right now it'd be
waist-32"
inseam-34"
f rise- 10.25"
thigh- 11.25"
knee- 8.25"
hem- 7.75"
japanese selvage denim, somewhat slubby, nice indigo color

And you know what, if i'm willing to spend the money($280) i can have those jeans as after looking around, the Flathead 3001 jeans has almost that exact measurement. Just an example how if you're willing to spend money, you can find whatever jean you're looking for.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics