What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Now you want Nature itself to look up?

2. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...

:lol:

I need to stay out of this thread while I'm on conference calls :embar:

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

you may not eat out more than i do, but i also expect that you spend a lot more money when you do. as the ticket goes up, chefs feel the customer's expectations do, too. and too often, they try to meet those expectations with visual fireworks rather than flavors. alas, it has always been so. it's just a matter of fashion. tall food was just as dumb, and just as flavorless as saucey skidmarks.

4. SField

SField Senior member

Well sauce skidmarks are much more functional than tall food. They showcase sauce and simplify the plate. Not a massive fan but there have been far more annoying things in the past. As long as the sauce is good I don't mind.

5. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

just ate some Mongolian lamb skewer BBQ; most powdered in ground cayenne and whole cumin seed. It just slayed K-BBQ on its home turf. True story.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

you're right, but setting the bar very low. just about anything is more functional than tall food. the first time i saw skid marks, i thought they were kind of cool. now they seem to be on every plate. it's like wearing a shirt collar popped -- it's only sprezz the first time somebody does it.

7. CouttsClient

CouttsClient Senior member

Los Angeles/ DC/ The Gulf Coast/ Airplane...
    Can you guys stop calling them 'skid marks'? I don't think I'll be able to get that out of my head when my dinner arrives

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Langoustine "pho"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Scallops with mango and passionfruit

[​IMG]

The world's oddest (and perhaps best) ratatouille

[​IMG]

9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Langoustine looks wonderful. As do the scallops. Though, I probably would have tried adding a bit more color to the plate. But that's just silly ol' me.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Actually, many rich cooking traditions have come to us because people could not afford to waste substandard food.

11. SField

SField Senior member

I agree.

Love the ratatouille.

12. SField

SField Senior member

Hmm you're both right.

Some great cooking traditions coming from southern italy and greece where people are very poor still had access to great ingredients. Great cheap ingredients, that is. Just because they were poor does not mean that they didn't have access to a lot of stuff that would totally embarrass Whole Foods today.

13. otc

otc Senior member

Interesting that you say this...because I unfortunately agree.
    I've always been big on salamis and stuff. Even more so after I spent some time in spain and italy eating cheap (which usually involved buying their cured meats and preparing my own food). I returned around the time that I was starting to see more and more in-house charcuterie being pushed around and it was exciting. A few years later, I see a lot of places that will sell me a board with cured meats/sausage/pate...but its often not all that good.

Ate at the bristol for my birthday last week and they had zero cured meats on the menu that night...I was sad.
    If I had more space, I'd love to go all Piob on that shit.

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Just to play Devil's Advocate I took some pictures from a book called Haute Cuisine Francaise from 1994. It basically shows some favored plates submitted by each member restaurant and gives a little bio. There are probably a hundred, so I cherry picked from restaurants at which I have dined whose food I really enjoy. The classicism is very interesting. I happen to enjoy a lot of food from that era, and think that it, in its combination of nouvelle cuisine with a bit of cuisine grand-mere mixed in, while moving slightly back to the classics, was a recent high point. I know many disagree, but opinons are what they are.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry for the pic overload. I finally feel like I am the guy in MC with the AA pics.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

It's more than just that. For generations in Europe the lord, jarl, etc. got all the prime cuts, etc. The common folk had to learn how to cook offal, the tough stringy cuts, etc. so it would taste good. There was also, of course, no refrigeration so folks had to learn various methods to preserve foods for months without the aide of freezing. So I'm thinking of everything from braises to confit to smoking in my prior statement.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011