1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

Tried out some recipes from the Ottolenghi cookbook I recently acquired.

Roasted butternut squash with burnt eggplant and pomegranate molasses
    [​IMG]

Marinated rack of lamb with cilantro and honey
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chargrilled broccoli with chile and garlic
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. b1os

b1os Senior member

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Tarka Dal & Ottolenghi's honey roasted carrots with tahini yoghurt

[​IMG]

For dessert, Hazan's pear cake.

1 person likes this.
  4. otc

otc Senior member

Latvia now.

Bread
    [​IMG]
    Soup
    [​IMG]
    Slow cooked salmon
    [​IMG]
    Monkfish
    [​IMG]
    Lamb
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    that all looks fine, but it makes me sad. looks like what you'd be served almost any fine dining restaurant in teh world. was there anything latvian about it? i'm sometimes afraid fine dining is going the way of pop music -- one international style.

6. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

There are still variations in pop music from country to country

Something about coming from a unique culture and trying to copy another culture gives rise to variations

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

The Latvian puree swoosh is unlike any other.

1 person likes this.
  8. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Piob'ed the rim to a new level

1 person likes this.
  9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

:slayer:

10. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

[​IMG]

Los agaves. The sopes and the corn tortilla is superb. Rice I swear has cocaine in it.

Super rica closed early tonight and closed tomorrow but we're staying til Thursday so I get to go to super rica and the wine ghetto

Thanks for the rec

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  11. otc

otc Senior member

The fish soup seemed fairly Latvian, and it seems that much of Latvian dining is heavily influenced by the Scandinavian cuisine which is getting to be so hot now elsewhere.

It was a place with a focus on local and seasonal ingredients and I would say the little purees and accoutrements were not what I would have expected elsewhere.

But of course it is nothing like the variations on meat and potatoes that make up the low end of Latvian cuisine which I have had plenty of... But browsing the central market, seeing all of the fish and smelling copious amounts of dill, it is easy to see them gravitate towards the Scandinavian dishes when it is time to go upscale.

Vilnius, not being near water, felt like it looked much more towards France and Italy when it was time to go past the potatoes (with the one exception being the meal I ate from the noma trained chef). Not that there isn't French to be had in Riga... The "#1" restaurant seems to be a French restaurant that has been around since right after the iron curtain fell, which features such things as canard a la presse.

12. otc

otc Senior member

Not that I don't agree about a homogenization being sad. I've avoided much of the Italian and French food offered thus far in the Baltics... But avoiding Scandinavian influence seems quite difficult as we move further north.

13. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

I'd recommend the vegetable tamale.

14. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

also be sure to check out les marchands. really cool wine bar. my favorite place my last visit.

15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I have a nice picture of foie gras poutine if anyone wants to see it.

16. tropics

tropics Senior member

17. b1os

b1os Senior member

Cooked a new batch of Ottolenghi's thai red lentil soup with aromatic chilli oil.

18. otc

otc Senior member

Russian-Latvian restaurant last night. Food still plated like food everywhere else... But I dunno that I could have gone much more Latvian without ending up back at potato pancakes.

Boarding a plane to Tallinn now... I expect the food will just get more Nordic. More dill and fish with root vegetables.

Foodguy is right about the pop music though. Places have local pop music, but when we rented a car for 2 days, every time we came in range of the local pop station, they were playing the exact stuff we hear in the us.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  19. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Went to les marchands and had a really good time. Chatted with the bartender and he ended up bringing out some wines off the menu (a Muscadet by domaine l'ecu and a bourgeuil by Catherine Breton) and served in zalto glasses. Had a great time. Really rally love that space. The pizza place nearby, brewery nearby, cocktail bar and pub nearby.

We also had dinner at julienne which was fantastic. Beef cheek and bouillabaisse was so good.

Totally want to move here.

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Tonight leek fritters from plenty, Friday Legume Soup, no dried limes so will have to use lime oil instead then see what the farmers market has in on Saturday to dictate Sunday dinner.

Ottolenghi is getting a lot of coverage in the local press for this new book in the past week.