1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What did you eat last night for dinner?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Fabienne, Jan 31, 2005.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Dude wow. The tortillas at super rica are just outstanding. Texture reminds me of korean potato pancakes (gamjajon)

(There's a lady here who's full time job is pinching off some masa, flattening it in a press and cooking to order)

The vegetable tamales were pretty good

Can't help thinking tho that besides the tortillas nothing was amazing. I feel like they benefit from the good produce in Santa Barbara. It's just a really good neighborhood mexican joint.

(AY was telling me the lines get crazy on the weekends and all the parking spots are taken up by German cars that came from LA)

2. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

hmmmm. it's certainly not a good neighborhood mexican joint, no matter whether you liked it or not. part of super-rica's appeal is that they're doing a style of mexican food -- not traditional regional, certainly not the usual Southern California -- that nobody else does. sure, you can find queso fundido other places, but most of the stuff they offer is different than any mexican restaurant i've been in -- and i've been eating mexican in southern california for almost 30 years.
    the tortillas are great. the fundidos are great (do they call them cazuelas? don't remember). i have a deep love for their tacos de rajas ... i usually get two orders. their posole is killer. i really love the place, YMMV. and yes, extremely long lines on weekends, but those german cars are not all from la -- that's santa barbara by god, where la moves to retire.

1 person likes this.
  3. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the first part of your statement especially by your first sentence but I think you're saying they offer unique food different from everybody else. I don't have extensive experience with mexican food but the tortillas are much more plush than I've encountered in Mexico which from what I understand is a salvadorean thing. The marinated pork I swear reminds me of less spicy pork bulgogi.

:( didn't see a queso fundido. There might have been a cazuela. :( I'll have to wait for next time for tacos raja

I really do want to retire here tho. All I really want in life is good produce, maybe a fishmonger and butcher, good coffee, one good restaurant, and a good bar

Thanks for the rec tho. Something about the simplicity of quality food really made an impression. (I guess what I was thinking when I typed that was the food was really good but not something that you wouldn't see on a Sunday in a Latin American household with a grandma who's been cooking for multiple generations. It just reminds me of a lot of memories. As to your point it certainly is different from anything I've had)

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

yes, that's what i'm trying to say. los agaves, which is also very good, is more of a typical place in the sense that it offers a menu that is very similar to what you'd find at hundreds of other socal mexican food restaurants. they just do a better job. what you noticed with the tortillas is more of the freshly made aspect -- they are thicker and plusher than machine-made. when you get into tortilla exotica, the ultimate is made from freshly nixtamalized corn. unbelievable perfume. re: cazuela/fundido: queso fundido is, essentially, a plate of melted cheese, often with another ingredient, such as chorizo, etc. i seem to recall that la super-rica calls their fundidos cazuelas, but i might be wrong about that.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I've never had a good fundido. it's just kind of one noted with gross cheese just drowning out everything. Always feel a little queasy afterwards. I've never had a flambeed one tho always broiled.

I spent a week with a mexican family before and the wife made fresh tortillas but it was thinner and crispier. That seemed more common to me when I travelled (but maybe the restaurants were using store bought tortillas)

I want to make some at home now.

6. bbhues

bbhues Well-Known Member

do any of you folks have any advice on how to best chop up a squash (acorn/butternut) into small pieces for a risotto? I tried tonight and it took me about an hour to get the skin off, I feel like I must be doing something incorrectly.

7. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

+1

8. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Try a chainsaw.

9. t3hg0suazn

t3hg0suazn Senior member

Microwave for 5 min (or bake for a while) to soften up the squash. Makes it much easier to chop & peel.

10. b1os

b1os Senior member

For butternut, just divide it until you can comfortably cut or peel away the skin. For acorn, just seperate all segments, then use a peeler or cut the skin away with a knife. Should take 5-10 minutes.

11. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i just use a vegetable peeler and then cut it up. takes about 5 minutes for butternut, 10 for acorn (damned ridges).

12. b1os

b1os Senior member

Today: Cauliflower cake (Ottolenghi). Very nice.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yesterday: Pumpkin soup

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    5 people like this.
  13. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

That cauliflower cake looks very nice.

1 person likes this.
  14. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Yes, but I feel the plate is lacking a swoosh or a smear of something. Perhaps he should make two cakes and puree one?

1 person likes this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

The rim needs Piob'ing.

16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

3 people like this.
  17. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

A puree of salad would be very elegant.

18. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

+1

1 person likes this.
  19. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Scottish hare..washed down with a tall glass of ionized water at a pH of 9.5
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.