• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colour cordovan is this?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
78872886_tp.jpg

Can someone help me identify what colour Alden cordovan this is? The ebay listing I'm looking at doesn't say...

Thanks in advance...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drat.

The shoes were listed as shell cordovan and the model is supposedly 2156.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask for a pic of the soles. If they're cordovan Aldens, they'll have a brand right in the middle of the sole stating as much.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just saw the listing, they are cordovan.

they must be ravello, but it looks like the seller rubbed some sort of shiny lacquer polish on them.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW those look like cordovan to me.

If that is the case, I think that color is ravello.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks gents - much appreciated.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by triniboy27
78872886_tp.jpg

Can someone help me identify what colour Alden cordovan this is? The ebay listing I'm looking at doesn't say...

Thanks in advance...

I guess ravello - I saw the auction, and the sole of the shoe has a remnant of the shell cordovan stamp.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They seem a bit too red to be Ravello, though colors do change quite a bit over time. There was also a mahogany color as well, that's no longer in use.

well-kept

Reaction score
They may be old #8s. The color designated as #8 has changed drastically over the years and in previous decades it was lighter, warmer and more consistent than it is today, Alden especially, which coats theirs in an almost black over-stain to conceal flaws.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by well-kept
They may be old #8s. The color designated as #8 has changed drastically over the years and in previous decades it was lighter, warmer and more consistent than it is today, Alden especially, which coats theirs in an almost black over-stain to conceal flaws.
IIRC, Alden's #8 changed when Kiwi stopped making it, so Alden instead made up their own.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
IIRC, Alden's #8 changed when Kiwi stopped making it, so Alden instead made up their own.

The #8 color designation belongs to the tannery - Horween of Chicago. The same #8 shell is supplied to various manufacturers who then either leave it as is or enhance the color in some way, either before or after lasting. Older AEs, Florsheims, Nettletons and Aldens all possess a warm color rarely found today. There is some question about what color shell C&J uses for their Polos. I believe it is the same color without additional dye applied.

Quite a few years ago I asked an Alden rep what kind of polish they used on their #8 shells before they went into the box. His answer: Kiwi Dark Tan. Well, you'd never use dark tan on current Alden #8 production. It is almost black when new.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ Interesting. I was under the impression that Alden did the dying themselves. I'll try and get the story straight next time I see Nate.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nate....Alden? lol

anyway the old-stock-kiwi-original-#8-horween-freemason conspiracy theory sounds a little too complicated since there is a color called ravello which it looks like.

but, Alden stock numbers designate color+model, so any Alden rep should be able to tell what the original color of 2156 was. there was only one color

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads