• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
If you are on the slim side, go with your sportscoat size. Otherwise size up and get the next size. I am a slim 38R and I got mine in size 38, and they fit me well. 40 would have been loose on me. FWIW, a 38R in polo IV cut is slightly on the bigger side on my frame in the chest area, even with a thin sweater underneath on top of my dress shirt and undershirt.

Call Oconnells' and ask for Ethan. He is very helpful.

Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
I'm a 36S, and the size small fits perfectly. Not quite "slim" but not at all baggy or loose.

Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
For shetlands:
Press Shaggy Dogs are really very good, and the fit is superb on a slim person like me (a size medium fits on my 39/40R chest and 32" waist, 34" sleeve body just as I'd like it to). The quality is top, the colors are interesting, and the "fashioning" is also very good (love the must-fold cuffs). I have also owned Andover Shop shetlands and don't like them as much (mainly because the fit is wonky and the cuffs are not must-fold). It is very difficult for me to walk into Press and not want to buy 5 or 6 Shaggies.

For cashmere
If you're going to go Johnston's, you should definitely check Sierra Trading Post. Just search "Elgin". Lots and lots of Johnston's sweaters. I have 3 from STP from over the years, 2 purchased for $120 and one for $150 (stacking discounts, etc). The quality on these is, I'd say, better than just about anything in the $400-500 price range sold in brick and mortar stores or by well-known brands in the US. The crewnecks have a very nice saddle shoulder. My one qualm is that the necks on my crewnecks aren't as "tight" as I'd like and thus have stretched out a bit. Think of these as a better version of the "Knitted in Scotland" cashmeres BB is now selling (I just learned from Cashmere Truth that "knitted in Scotland" means knitted there but constructed elsewhere..interesting). My Johnstons have not pilled really at all, though they've gotten a bit fuzzier, and I like that.

I also have two sweaters from Laing (believe they are old stock) and they are just fantastic. I bought them from a tiny store in Boston, which I believe has now closed, called "Best of Scotland" (no relation to the one in NY) for $280 apiece. I am serious when I say I would pay up to $1K for these if I found more. I don't know where Laing can be found these days but if anyone knows, please tell me.

On color for cashmere
Nothing beats navy. It is that simple. Goes with everything, doesn't show dirt or pilling, looks good with most complexions.

Beyond navy, if you want something that looks good and cashmere-y, go for oatmeal (NOT camel), light light grey (almost like a silver), or a heathered mid-gray color which Johnston's calls "Grebe"

I wrote a bit more about this in an old thread. Hope this is helpful:
http://www.styleforum.net/showpost.p...8&postcount=36

I am very curious to try Lockie but seems like a few are trying it here. Be my guinea pigs.

^ Good info, thanks.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ramuman
There were 150 posts to discuss what color to get a cashmere sweater in.

Johnny come lately.

That's a statement not a question.
smile.gif

And +1 on AlanC's comment about camel. It's a more flattering color than oatmeal for most hair/complexion types.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
There's nothing wrong with camel. It's a classic color on par with navy.

I agree that camel is classic, but I find that it is surpisingly difficult to wear in practice. It tends to clash because it doesn't contrast enough with other colors of medium lightness. Consequenty, I like my tans to be darker (brown) or lighter (oatmeal, cream, etc.).

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Johnny come lately.

That's a statement not a question.
smile.gif

And +1 on AlanC's comment about camel. It's a more flattering color than oatmeal for most hair/complexion types.

+1

I have a camel hair sweater (not just color but fabric) from Hart Shaf Marx which is very nice. Its cable knit which may not be soup du jour to the fashion crowd but they are a bunch of sheep anyway.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
I agree that camel is classic, but I find that it is surpisingly difficult to wear in practice. It tends to clash because it doesn't contrast enough with other colors of medium lightness. Consequenty, I like my tans to be darker (brown) or lighter (oatmeal, cream, etc.).

Which medium lightness colors are you thinking of? In addition to standard white, most colors popular for dress shirts are complemented better by camel than oatmeal or darker browns. This is why camel is a staple color from just about all cashmere producers.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Which medium lightness colors are you thinking of? In addition to standard white, most colors popular for dress shirts are complemented better by camel than oatmeal or darker browns. This is why camel is a staple color from just about all cashmere producers.

Light blue shirts look better with brown and oatmeal in my mind, but I also think that medium grey trousers clash with camel.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by I. Gentantithesis
If still so, these be them (Lockie knitted, limited colors, probably processed and spun by Todd & Duncan or Z. Hinchliffe, both Scottish though Z.H. is based in Eng..) > http://www.heatherwallace.com/men_ca...php?prod_ID=19

Thank you for this link. Some nice looking pieces on that site and the quality, style & colours look good. The price is certainly right (esp. since I'm in the UK). Does anyone here have any experience in how they fit?

Their size chart suggests that their 42" smallest size corresponds to a Small, but the measurements seem more like a Medium. I suspect it will be too big for me, at about a 36 jacket size, but would be interested in what experience others may have had.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnnyCrockett
Think of these as a better version of the "Knitted in Scotland" cashmeres BB is now selling (I just learned from Cashmere Truth that "knitted in Scotland" means knitted there but constructed elsewhere..interesting).

The BB cashmere sweaters I just bought are knitted and finished in Scotland, which means there was no exporting to complete the work elsewhere.

The tag even says "Made in Scotland" not "Knitted in Scotland."

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
Their size chart suggests that their 42" smallest size corresponds to a Small, but the measurements seem more like a Medium. I suspect it will be too big for me, at about a 36 jacket size, but would be interested in what experience others may have had.

The number reflects the sweater's actual chest measurement. Assuming you should have 4 inches of space around your chest when wearing a sweater, the size 42 should fit someone with a 38 inch chest (jacket size 38), which would make the 'small' sizing make sense.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
The number reflects the sweater's actual chest measurement. Assuming you should have 4 inches of space around your chest when wearing a sweater, the size 42 should fit someone with a 38 inch chest (jacket size 38), which would make the 'small' sizing make sense.

Thanks 'foo. A 4" chest clearance seems very generous for a sweater. 2-3" seems preferable, which is why I thought it would be closer to a "medium", but I guess this would not be a traditional clearance. In any case, sadly too big for me, I think. I might go measure some of my Pringle sweaters whose fit I like and see what they come to.

I do like the look of them from the photos though, and the pricing is more sensible than some cashmere I've seen out there.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All this chatter has moved me. I ordered 7 of the William Lockie v-necks from A. Hume.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck - Melrose 2 Ply Cashmere Vee Neck
WL02 Colour: Camel
\t
WL02 Colour: Dark Navy

WL02 Colour: Flannel

WL02 Colour: Loganberry

WL02 Colour: Bottle

WL02 Colour: Madder

WL02 Colour: Lapis

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
The BB cashmere sweaters I just bought are knitted and finished in Scotland, which means there was no exporting to complete the work elsewhere.

The tag even says "Made in Scotland" not "Knitted in Scotland."

My bad. I have one from the early 2000s which says knitted in Scotland. The new ones are indeed made in Scotland. Time to buy one...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads