1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What colors do you like for cashmere sweaters?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

UPS is denying my enjoyment of the Shetlands I ordered. Oh wait, this was a thread about cashmere [​IMG] .

2. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

I just picked up my NOS shetland wool sweater today that I ordered from O Connell's. It fits well, looks well made, but its itchy as fuck, and not very soft at all. Damn. I'm going to have to wear it with a dress shirt underneath it, which I was hoping to avoid. Unless someone here knows how to soften them up.

You have more than 1000 posts on SF and you expected to wear a sweater right on your skin?

3. Chips

Chips Senior member

I wear my cashmere that way from time to time in the evening if it's cooler.

If I could tolerate wearing the sweater with just a t-shirt under it, that would be fine, but even the damn sleeves are so itchy, it would drive me nuts.

4. srivats

srivats Senior member

ramuman/chips - which color did you guys get?

^ Chips, are you allergic to certain types of wool? My shetlands are not scratchy at all. They are not soft like cashemere, but they definitely aren't itchy.

5. furo

furo Senior member

I can't wear lambswool on the skin at all due to itchiness. Cashmere I can deal with, but then again, I don't see any time when I'd be wearing nothing but a cashmere sweater. Especially if it's a v neck

6. srivats

srivats Senior member

I can't wear lambswool on the skin at all due to itchiness. Cashmere I can deal with, but then again, I don't see any time when I'd be wearing nothing but a cashmere sweater. Especially if it's a v neck

Many people have trouble with one wool or the other ... thankfully, I can wear any most kinds of wool on my skin and be okay. The only time I had this itchiness issue was with a cheap lambswool sweater that I had years ago. I had to give it away.

7. Chips

Chips Senior member

Not allergic, it's just coarse as hell. There's no way I'd ever wear this thing. I put on an undershirt and tried it on, and even though it fit perfectly, it was so damn coarse, even on my forearms, I realized it has to go back.

Was a little ticked when I looked on the receipt and read "no cash refunds". When I called for a return auth #, I mentioned the discrepancy with what the website states, and he assured me that I would receive a full refund, minus shipping.

I'd really like to find a nice cashmere sleeveless cardigan but they don't have any.

I bought the light grey NOS shetland sweater, BTW

8. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a fairly low tolerance for itchy wool as well and did not have any problems with the O'Connell's shetlands.

I did wear a Black Fleece buttondown underneath, though.

9. srivats

srivats Senior member

Not allergic, it's just coarse as hell. There's no way I'd ever wear this thing. I put on an undershirt and tried it on, and even though it fit perfectly, it was so damn coarse, even on my forearms, I realized it has to go back.

Was a little ticked when I looked on the receipt and read "no cash refunds". When I called for a return auth #, I mentioned the discrepancy with what the website states, and he assured me that I would receive a full refund, minus shipping.

I'd really like to find a nice cashmere sleeveless cardigan but they don't have any.

I bought the light grey NOS shetland sweater, BTW

Oconnells is a great shop, they have excellent customer service.

Did you consider trying out their newer shetlands? They have new ones for the same price as well. They are excellent too ...

10. Chips

Chips Senior member

Think I'll either just go with something in cashmere that fills a gap in my wardrobe, or go with the wool sleeveless cardigan to wear under a SC. without the sleeves, there'd be no itch complaint.

To be honest, I really don't get the appeal of these sweaters. But I realize to each, his own.

11. srivats

srivats Senior member

To be honest, I really don't get the appeal of these sweaters. But I realize to each, his own.

Too bad you don't like em ... cashmere is great, but I just happen to like the rustic look of these older shetlands. It is probably an acquired taste.

If you live in a city with a J. Press store, go and check out their shaggy dogs, I think you might like the looks of it better.

12. aportnoy

Oconnells is a great shop, they have excellent customer service.

Did you consider trying out their newer shetlands? They have new ones for the same price as well. They are excellent too ...

Agree on both accounts. All 5 of mine are new ones and the fit and quality is perfection!

13. Chips

Chips Senior member

Thanks for the tip. I could really use a nice wine colored vest. I'm headed down to Franz Tailor in downtown SF, to pick up my Spano jacket that I've had converted into a three button and had the sleeves slimmed. I will likely wander around many of the shops while I'm down there. I'm going to google J. Press and see what I find.

Borrelli (or de corato now) sent me a 30% off coupon for certain unnamed items, I might go see what they've brought in since the change.

14. aportnoy

The J. Press are Shaggy Dogs are nice but a compeltely different look. They take fuzzy to a whole other level.

15. srivats

srivats Senior member

The J. Press are Shaggy Dogs are nice but a compeltely different look. They take fuzzy to a whole other level.

I am going get one later this year. Need more shetlands [​IMG] What color(s) do you have?

16. aportnoy

I am going get one later this year. Need more shetlands [​IMG] What color(s) do you have?

I got these 5 from O'Connel's:

blue danube
    heathered oatmel
    charcoal
    dirt (my favorite name)
    lagoon green

I have these 3 from J.Press

mauve purple
    persimmon
    navy

17. ramuman

ramuman Senior member

Agree on both accounts. All 5 of mine are new ones and the fit and quality is perfection!

I just recieved my size 38 NOS. Threw one on and headed out. I love it thus far...surprisingly warm for the weight.

18. aportnoy

I just recieved my size 38 NOS. Threw one on and headed out. I love it thus far...surprisingly warm for the weight.

Super warm, I agree. I just love the fit, almost bespoke-like.

19. srivats

srivats Senior member

Super! Post a pic.

Super warm, I agree. I just love the fit, almost bespoke-like.

The warmth for (how thin they are) is one big reason why I love them. As I wrote before, cashmere is good, but it is overhyped in my opinion.

20. gregaz

gregaz Senior member

Did you mention that these have a longer sleeve? This is my biggest issue with sweaters - I take a 38-40 in suits, but take a 27" sleeve on dress shirts. Yes, monkey arms.