• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What can I wear with this brown cord jacket?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I bought this jacket a while ago to try and put together some autumnal outfits, but then we didn't really get an autumn, it went straight from summer to winter here, so I didn't get much chance to experiment with it.

PXL_20210114_213111806~2.jpg PXL_20210126_180949429~2.jpg PXL_20210126_180357304~2.jpg PXL_20201229_174337528.jpg

Excuse the differing levels of saturation, I was playing around with sliders to try and stop the jacket looking black in my pictures. None of them give a very accurate reflection of the colour but in reality it's a very deep chocolatey brown.
In pic 3 I am wearing it with trousers that are also corduroy (though blue) - is this even legal, let alone advisable?
Does anyone happen to have seen any pictures of a similar jacket worn in a stylish way?
Or is this particular style of jacket (Harrington) just not that easy to do stylishly in cord?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a brand called De Bonne Facture that sometimes makes things like that. I think to wear something like that well, you have to develop a nuanced eye and buy certain designer pieces. It requires a bit more experience and intentionality. If I were you, I would just sell that item and move on. But if you really wanted to try to make it work, I would try a chunky, textured knit and some military styled chinos (green or tan), rather than your basic chinos. Push the style away from trad/ classic. De Bonne Facture and Neighbour (a shop in Canada) may have some good online content you can browse for inspiration.

adrianvo

Reaction score
When I wear a dark brown top in colder weather, I generally pair it with trousers in:

- White/Off-white/Cream
- Dark grey
- Beige/Camel
- Dark green/Forest green or kaki(may be harder to pull off)
- Taupe
- Dark navy

I would generally not build up an outfit with two different corduroy pieces. I think corduroy pairs beautifully with suede and flannel, or even some heavy twill or herringbone weaves (even tweed).

Hope this helps.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Moleskin pants, too.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
There's a brand called De Bonne Facture that sometimes makes things like that. I think to wear something like that well, you have to develop a nuanced eye and buy certain designer pieces. It requires a bit more experience and intentionality. If I were you, I would just sell that item and move on. But if you really wanted to try to make it work, I would try a chunky, textured knit and some military styled chinos (green or tan), rather than your basic chinos. Push the style away from trad/ classic. De Bonne Facture and Neighbour (a shop in Canada) may have some good online content you can browse for inspiration.
Apologies for coming back to this after a long break. Just wondering where I would look for military style chinos you mention? I am not sure how I would tell the difference between them and "basic" chinos. All chinos look kind of military to me!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apologies for coming back to this after a long break. Just wondering where I would look for military style chinos you mention? I am not sure how I would tell the difference between them and "basic" chinos. All chinos look kind of military to me!

There have been many military fatigue designs over the years, but the simplest one looks like this (and this is the design that's probably closest to a green chino). Note the large pockets

0188-ORSL_FW18_DROP1-0140.jpeg

Compare to an olive chino

Green-min_b232a395-688d-4403-9b54-70bf5871dd1d_620x.jpeg

Some chinos will be even more cleanly tailored, such as these made with single needle stitching

Drakes-cotton-chino-500x625.jpeg

I don't know if your jacket will really work with an olive fatigue. I wouldn't buy a pair just to try out. Personally, I would just sell the jacket and move on. I think there are better options. But if you have a pair of olive fatigues laying around, I would wear that jacket with a grey sweatshirt and a pair of fatigues, just to see how it looks.

Personally not a fan of very basic CM-styled casualwear. So with a plain jacket like that, I would try to push it more towards a directional look, such as workwear.

I think the jacket would look better with more details. As is, it's so plain, it sort of looks like cloth draped over you. The silhouette is too straightforward; the design too plain. That said, I've seen similar jackets from certain fashion brands, so was suggesting possible ways to style that before deciding to sell it.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One more thing:

When styling things, don't just think about pairing colors and textures. Meaning, don't think of this as creating art or a painting. Think of dressing more as writing a sentence. Follow Instagram accounts that inspire you. Read about various social movements -- art, music, cultural movements, etc. Read about history. Start to get an understanding of visual language (fashion language).

I think when guys start out, they often think of this as a painting. Blue goes with white. Brown goes with green. (Or whatever). Linen goes with cotton, etc.

But clothing is not art; it's a language. Learn how to create a sentence with your clothes. Think about how you're communicating certain things. Think about what you're expressing.

If you buy a jacket next time, think about how it fits into a certain "look." Draw from history and various aesthetic movements. I think you'll be more successful with outfits this way.

One of the reasons why I think it's hard to style that jacket is that it doesn't express anything. Find an aesthetic niche and create a look around that. If you want to create a workwear look, get a field jacket. If you like prep, get a Harrington. If you like avant-garde looks, get a black Rick Owens jacket. Etc. Find a language and learn how to use that language.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
There have been many military fatigue designs over the years, but the simplest one looks like this (and this is the design that's probably closest to a green chino). Note the large pockets

View attachment 1580032

View attachment 1580033

Some chinos will be even more cleanly tailored, such as these made with single needle stitching

View attachment 1580034

I don't know if your jacket will really work with an olive fatigue. I wouldn't buy a pair just to try out. Personally, I would just sell the jacket and move on. I think there are better options. But if you have a pair of olive fatigues laying around, I would wear that jacket with a grey sweatshirt and a pair of fatigues, just to see how it looks.

Personally not a fan of very basic CM-styled casualwear. So with a plain jacket like that, I would try to push it more towards a directional look, such as workwear.

I think the jacket would look better with more details. As is, it's so plain, it sort of looks like cloth draped over you. The silhouette is too straightforward; the design too plain. That said, I've seen similar jackets from certain fashion brands, so was suggesting possible ways to style that before deciding to sell it.

Thanks for the as-always very thoughtful advice. I've actually decided to keep the jacket - I quite like it (and apart from anything else it wasn't cheap by any means - I don't buy a lot of stuff at full price from higher-end makers but this was one thing that I did! And it's worn so I'd only get a fraction of what I paid back for it).
At least, I will try wearing it for a while and pairing it with a few things along the lines of your suggestion, and see whether it grows on me.
I don't have those fatigue-style chinos (although I have owned them in the past) but I do have olive chinos in the more tailored style you also posted, so I will throw them on with a grey sweater and see how it feels!
I've also got a more beige corduroy jacket coming, which I think will be more useful to me as it will go better with the dark brown (maybe suede) shoes or boots I would tend to wear with a casual outfit like this. This dark brown one I would be more likely to wear with my Red Wings (black) which might help push it towards workwear, as you said.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Another couple of goes at styling this jacket and also showing off my new brown suede chukkas, which possibly I guess people might say are too similar in tone to the jacket to really work, but I quite like the monochrome effect.
PXL_20210324_150152433.jpg
PXL_20210324_151431900.jpg PXL_20210324_152435813~2.jpg

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with matching jacket and shoe color if it's a standard color. Every look is dragged down by the fit of the pants and, worse, jeans. The first look is equally damaged by the polo shirt in almost the exact color as the pants.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Yeah not sure what's going on with my jeans in that picture. They don't normally look like that. I think I just took the picture in a rush and didn't have my belt done up properly!
What would you say is wrong with the fit of the beige pants exactly? (They are actually jeans too but it's not too clear from the picture).Too long?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They might be too long. They are bagging at the knees. It could be due to standing with knees locked.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score

View attachment 1580032

View attachment 1580033

View attachment 1580034

But if you have a pair of olive fatigues laying around, I would wear that jacket with a grey sweatshirt and a pair of fatigues, just to see how it looks.
As you suggested - think these chinos are vaguely similar to the style you pointed out ... Don't wear them often as they're a bit slim for my current taste.

Attachments

• PXL_20210331_183343513~2.jpg
    PXL_20210331_183343513~2.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 54

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads