• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What can I wear with shorts other than sneakers or loafers?

Ziqiao

Reaction score
Absolutely unhinged take.
Thank you for your feedback. It is what I think and I see no reason how a statement not relatable to you can be considered unhinged. If you think it is a troll that was never my intention as I was being serious.

KOz

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback. It is what I think and I see no reason how a statement not relatable to you can be considered unhinged. If you think it is a troll that was never my intention as I was being serious.
Do you have a picture of this cargo short and oxford combo?

jeremygo

Reaction score
Here in NYC, if I’m wearing shorts in the summer, I’ll usually wear my trusty New Balance 993s which work well for a sort of rugged ivy/dad working around the yard sort of vibe.

I do have Birkenstock Arizonas, which are mostly for lounging on the porch/short walks when I’m in the country.

Finally I think Alden LHS and C&J Harvard loafers work perfectly fine with shorts and a madras / linen / oxford / polo shirt.

SirThopas

Reaction score
Students at Dartmouth in 1930, drawing attention to their desire to "lounge forth to the supreme pleasure of complete leg freedom".

Screenshot 2024-05-12 at 21.11.30.png

pacnyc

Reaction score
My go to is a pair of driving moccasins, which probably would be classified as a loafer. I’m partial to Tod’s and I have them in green nubuck, navy suede, and tan calfskin. They are fine for walking long miles in Rome, where I lived and traipsed about in them on many hot summer days. Hogan sneakers might be a better alternative. The other options that I can think of have all been mentioned here. And yes, linen shorts are acceptable in Italy these days.
I too wear drivers a lot in summertime, albeit not with shorts as nobody should have to look at my long skinny legs and I think linen looks better, feels more comfortable, and is more versatile anyway. As for footwear, like the original poster I find pretty much all sneakers ugly, and a good reason to consider drivers if you’re in Italy is Italians are famous for making them!

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dock siders, GAT, minimalist sneakers, Adidas Gazelle or Samba, fisherman sandals can also work (Grenson and Church's).

Last edited:

Steves40th396

Reaction score
I wear sneakers, due to a little more support, that are in the van/sperry styles.
Not perfect, but where I live in the muggy hot south east, I need to wear linen shorts and shirts. Its so damn hot here

Harwid

Reaction score
I am pleased to say I have made it to my mid 70s without owning cargo shorts or Birkenstocks.

Below are some examples of shoes I wear with shorts. None have real support.

Nisolo, Vince suede, Piloti

Jeff

IMG_2266.jpeg

jko

Reaction score
Shorts are ultra-casual daytime wear in my book, so I don't think one should go through too much effort into dressing them up.

It doesn't really matter what else I'm wearing.

We are already taking a step down in elegance by choosing comfort (shorts) over style (pants), so I think it's precisely for that reason why we should to try to regain ground by focusing on what else we are wearing. The amount of effort is subjective of course, but I don't consider opting for a collared shirt instead of a t-shirt, and loafers instead of sneakers too much.

Take this photo for example. Casual, dressed for the heat, but still representable. He looks like a man with a plan. Switch the shirt for a t-shirt and shoes for sneakers, and you have someone who looks like they just rolled out of bed.

tumblr_ll1s2qPCaj1qz7xumo1_500.jpg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member