• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your thoughts on graphic tees (honest replies)

Hummingbird

Reaction score
GRN Apple Tree is my personal favorite maker of graphic tees (though their designs haven't been as hot the last two months). They have a fantastic artist behind their work, and it is often clever, beautiful, or smile inducing. I get tons of compliments from both girls and guys on how much they like them. Not only that, but the cuts are top notch and fit my slim frame well. Really there are some excellent graphic tees that are far from trite or boring. You just have to dig a little. 80spurple.com carries a number of excellent styles, as does digitalgravel.com (though they are a bit more in line with the skater/grunge crowd).

HATORI HANZO

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hummingbird
GRN Apple Tree is my personal favorite maker of graphic tees (though their designs haven't been as hot the last two months). They have a fantastic artist behind their work, and it is often clever, beautiful, or smile inducing. I get tons of compliments from both girls and guys on how much they like them. Not only that, but the cuts are top notch and fit my slim frame well. Really there are some excellent graphic tees that are far from trite or boring. You just have to dig a little. 80spurple.com carries a number of excellent styles, as does digitalgravel.com (though they are a bit more in line with the skater/grunge crowd).

That grn apple tree is horrible. I am guilty of wearing the occasional grateful gead trunk ltd t-shirt not for style but because I listen to the dead. I for the most part wear plain tees or thrifted tees. Those shirts are trendy and a total waste of money. My suggestion to you is to ask yourself this question when buying clothing: can I wear this in 3 years? If you must have graphics buy from H&M and save your money for something important. I dont dress like anybody around me they all wear rock republics, true religion, prada shoes and affliction t-shirts but women (not girls) copliment me on my style not trendiness. Think outside the box or dress like a douche I dont really care.

Hummingbird

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HATORI HANZO
That grn apple tree is horrible. I am guilty of wearing the occasional grateful gead trunk ltd t-shirt not for style but because I listen to the dead. I for the most part wear plain tees or thrifted tees. Those shirts are trendy and a total waste of money. My suggestion to you is to ask yourself this question when buying clothing: can I wear this in 3 years? If you must have graphics buy from H&M and save your money for something important. I dont dress like anybody around me they all wear rock republics, true religion, prada shoes and affliction t-shirts but women (not girls) copliment me on my style not trendiness. Think outside the box or dress like a douche I dont really care.

You mean the brand as a whole is horrible? Some designs of theirs are certainly a bit bombastic. However, no other brand of shirts has made people come over to me and talk about my shirt and want to read what they have to say on them or to discuss symbolism. Some examples of good GRN stuff are these:

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...h-shirt/Detail
http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...h-shirt/Detail

I will admit though that AA shirts are growing on me, and I seem to be trying to use striking Tees as a crutch for my outdated jeans and lack of other outfit pieces.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rye GB
Pay more attention because most guys here would rather smear themselves in dog poop body paint than let anything as atrocious as those tee's rub against their style sensitive bod's. Seriously mate wake the f**k up!. My wife would rather suffer retinal damage staring at the mid day sun than check me out in that ****!. The only girl's you deserve to snog wearing that stuff are the ones that tuck the pecker into the gooch. The web site is www.styleforum.net not www.wankfashions.net
worship.gif
To the OP: if we assume you have no interest in style for its sake and would wear a mickey mouse suit if it would get you laid with mediocre chicks with dubious taste then I'd go for it. In other word if you don't care what you wear and are not very upmarket concerning girls you can surely land some relatively cute and harmless honeys with that if you're not awful looking. On graphic tees: I have a few, both of the cheap $5 and designerish kind, I haven't worn any in a while as I now prefer plain white tees with everything (a few exceptions aside where I wear black ones instead). I second wings&horns for nice graphics, lad musician is also pretty nice but you have to be quite slim. OP: what do you look like? What is your environment like? What are you into? What are you studying? What do you want to be? Describe the kind of girl you want to bang/date.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Forkit
Hey guys,

I have made a number of threads here and I have really enjoyed all of you valuable input. I am a sophomore at college and I would like to boost my style, mostly because I would like to look attractive to girls. I was thinking of buying a number of graphic tees such as these:

scrtchblkgraf.jpg

xtrcsllr.jpg

blkpolocrystl.jpg

Do you guys tend to mimic the GQ style?? If so, is it appropriate for a 19 year old as myself to mimic the style as well without looking toolish?

What are your thoughts on graphic tees? Would you guys avoid them altogether? Is so, why??

Your answers would be highly appreciated!!

i love graphic tees, i love subway print shirts with bands on them, unconventional designs from companies like wowch and pegleg, funny old thrift store tees, and even the occasional streetwear brand. i'm kind of reeling from the "basics backlash" of recent years, so it's nice to see some decent graphic shirts still being printed. however, i was never into the whole salvage/drifter/ed hardy craze, mainly because the designs never appealed to me, and catered to fashion over personal style.

but really, the honest truth is that a lot of girls REALLY DON'T CARE what a guy wears, more often than not, if a guy seems too fashion forward that he comes off as snobby or pretentious, it becomes a turnoff. there are plenty of guys with horrible fashion that pull smoking hot chicks, the point is, much like j said, feeling comfortable in your clothes.

confidence is one of the greatest benefits of dressing smart, at least to me it is, the point is to look well put-together but not like you're trying too hard.

i could recommend a few wardrobe staples that could do you no wrong and offer a lot of different combinations while saving money (because you wouldn't have to buy a billion different outfits) and at the same time lessen your laundry load, because being a recent grad myself, i know how often most guys do their laundry on campus.

woadie

Reaction score
I still disagree with most of these people; as a senior in undergrad, I would say 90% of the time I am wearing a t-shirt. Especially given the always-on-the-move/waking-up-hungover lifestyle, it is a necessity to be able to throw on a t-shirt on top of a pair of jeans. My graphic tees are often a good substitute for the 8-10 plain black or white tees I rotate through (pima cotton is great!). In college, the only times I really dress up are to take a girl out to dinner/movie, go to the mall, etc. And anyways, anything is better than those horrid A&F polos or Belushi "College" shirts.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
this **** is for orange skinned dudebros and the assorted trash. It's meant to be seen between ABER and CROMBIE hoodie embroidery. For the guys who "dress up" with an american eagle button down and some dockers. Or a black 2xl Dress shirt and some Kcoles, express shirt and some black slacks, jet black mens wearhouse suit and a yankees ballcap.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Souper
this **** is for orange skinned dudebros and the assorted trash. It's meant to be seen between ABER and CROMBIE hoodie embroidery. For the guys who "dress up" with an american eagle button down and some dockers. Or a black 2xl Dress shirt and some Kcoles, express shirt and some black slacks, jet black mens wearhouse suit and a yankees ballcap.

DB5101-775223.jpg

Prompa3-786182.jpg

Prompa2-745262.jpg

Photos courtesy http://www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com/

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to wear graphic tees when I was in middle school and early high school, but I began transitioning out of them in my junior and senior years, preferring solid-color or, more often, heathered tees. By the time I hit college, the transition was complete. But now a few (new) graphic tees have crept into my wardrobe. Here's a brand I like: http://www.rocknclothing.com/ I wouldn't wear everything on the site (and there aren't that many shirts on display as it is), but I do own the Hazard / Lethal design (far right) and an undisplayed shirt that incorporates a flying V guitar into a peace sign. Here's a crappy cell phone picture I took:
34a40a6fa095bf422396242798f4001a4g.jpg
It's hard to read in the picture, but the guitar cord is spelling out Peace. I actually own two of this shirt. My first one developed discoloration around the collar, so I cut off its sleeves and ordered another one. The guy who runs the store is a forumer, and he's given me great prices through PMs on the three shirts I've bought. Another good brand: www.suburbanriotstore.com I got turned onto Suburban Riot by a mention in the It's Always Sunny . . . DVD audio commentary of "Hundred Dollar Baby." I checked out their site, and their shirts are a little pricey for me, but I do like some of the designs. And I got a shirt called Black Lung on sale for $20. It looks like this: http://www.suburbanriotstore.com/cardio1.html but the shirt material is a light greenish/cream/indescribable color and the lungs are black. Looks cool, and the cotton is very soft. (Much better-looking, IMO, than that gray/yellow one.) My final graphic tee is a shirt for a friend's band, Band Marino. My rationale, such as it is, for having graphic tees in my rotation again is that I've been growing my hair out over the course of the last seven months, and it gives me a far more bohemian / indie rocker look than I had before. Well, I was always an indie kid to an extent, but now I look like a lead singer. The graphic tees play into that image, and for now I like it. Overall, though, I'm still really picky about graphic tees. I know what I like when I see it. Anyhoo, I didn't read the entire thread, just the first and last pages, so I apologize if these brands have been mentioned already.

flatfront

Reaction score
Graphic tees can be ok for sure but like anything else I think that they need to be worn in the right setting.
I like wearing them when in a really casual mood like on my way to the gym or the supermarket. Also I like to wear them when I am away snowboarding as they kind of fit the mood. Even with graphic tees fit is paramount to me and WESC seem to fit me really well without being ott.
I am not keen on the whole Affliction thing tbh - they just look tired and every wanna be Chuch Lidell or Rampage seems to want them.
Any other occasion it's plain for me especially as I get older.

gateslion

Reaction score
I am a big fan of various graphic tees, but those ones look terrible. They are too much, the graphics don't blend well, and they are very much the cheesy type you see everywhere now.

BTW, you can tell in the pics that those Ts look cheap. Like, when wal mart tries to cash in on the trends. Not saying there isn't a time for cheap Ts but, these Ts are supposed to be cashing in on that cool, designer T-shirt look. Can't rock a "designer" t that looks like it costs 9.99

As for the bulging muscles? Meh. I am a pretty muscular guy, and I totally think its a good idea to dress to that if its your strength, the top two fit ok, BUT the bottom one is terrible. Its a perfect example of that awful affliction T-shirt type trend of wearing a shirt that is clearly too damn small, just to show off the muscles. I am a big proponent of knowing your shape and dressing to it. If you want to wear a shirt to show of the muscles, wear a shirt that is cut to a more flattering shape, do NOT get a regular generic cut shirt and simple go down a size.

I like someone else said, am all down for rock band shirts on occasion, but bands I actually listen to. Like all things, please don't wear shirts that are meant to be banners for a certain group/activity/theme if you have nothing to do with it. Ex: rock band shirts of bands youdont actually listen to.

Violation number 1 of the above rule. Tapout Gear. While its generally cheesy and should be avoided, if you fight, its slightly acceptable. (but eventhen only at the gym really) For F sake, do NOT run around in MMA stuff /Tapout shirts if you don't even fight.

Cool The Kid

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, graphic tees are so pointless when a good fitting blank tee can look so much better.

I have a few graphic tees though. One is some kind of punk band Warhol deal, the other is a really yellow Gang Of Four tee that I hate but my gf got for my bday.

Trust, being in good shape + wearing a nice fitting tee >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> being doughy and wearing that gothic crap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads