• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are Your Thoughts on Fedora [hats]?

ClassyGuy1

Reaction score
What is your opinion of fedoras? Are they cool and stylish or a fashion no-no in your book? Do you own one?

fosho

Reaction score
Do whatever you want. If you feel awesome wearing one, you should rock one because it'll show. Keep in mind that if you feel uncomfortable wearing one, it'll show also. You can pretty much answer all fashion do or don't questions like that.
smile.gif

Eccentric

Reaction score
I like the idea of the fedora, it is an aesthetically pleasing design. Unfortunately, wearing one is almost invariably anachronistic. They just don't look right worn casually.

tookie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eccentric
They just don't look right worn casually.

I think that is the biggest problem. Seeing someone wearing one with the right clothing can make the hat, but as far as I've seen people are just wearing them willy nilly.

Gutman

Reaction score
hmmm "anachronistic" - that was what i thought too, and i've always avoided them because of it... until this weekend. i thrifted a very nice grey Austrian-made fedora when i was out of town for a fancy dress party. it looked much better on me than a trilbly or other narrow brim hats which was a surprise to me, and I had to carry / wear it on the flight home wearing casual clothes but it looked fine. although i don't think it will become part of my regular attire...

try one out and see for yourself. either it works or it doesn't. as mentioned, confidence is everything with hat wearing. it should look "part of you", and not something just slapped on your head. a scarf and jacket of some sort helps with the jaunty look if you're in casual gear.

i presume you're talking about proper fedoras, and not the narrow brimmed hats in vogue at the moment which everyone seems to call fedoras. those are very commonplace, and i can't see how you would look any better (or worse) than everyone else wearing them.

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I love the look of a lot of Borsalinos but I'm near certain (at least at this point in my young life) that I would fail to pull it off. IMO it really looks best when worn as protection from the rain (with an overcoat over a suit). If you're young, you're be fighting an uphill battle with the douchey-hipster perception

Troesma

Reaction score
Humm, TBH I do like them and wear them when appropriate, but agree if you don't feel comfy with it on, it will be noticed miles ahead. It's also true that hats do not get along well with all faces. Fact of life. My favorite one to wear is http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/Fedoras...siana-P62.aspx which I have on mid-brown, so it combines with pretty much everything I have on the wardrobe. Lock & Co. hatts are THE standard IMHO.

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Trilbys work better for m. And only when the weather is inclement. Otherwise it feels affected to me.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only with a suit unless you're young and stylish. I'm old school like that. I see too many 40 somethings rocking them with a brown leather jacket like they're Indiana Jones. Sad.

TylerDurden

Reaction score
You will look like a super nerd unless:

1. It's bad weather outside
2.Your wearing a suit that will match it.

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sup with all these wack ass rules?
Originally Posted by fosho
Do whatever you want. If you feel awesome wearing one, you should rock one because it'll show. Keep in mind that if you feel uncomfortable wearing one, it'll show also. You can pretty much answer all fashion do or don't questions like that.
smile.gif

The truth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads