• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://static.flickr.com/63/15641030...993826.jpg?v=0
vintage detroit shirt, inside out cause im more a fan of the fit than the tigers.
double rl that i distressed with some sandpaper. i dont care, i rock them anyways.
clarks desert trek. ddml knows whats up. best shoe clarks makes. wallys are overated.

Reaction score
Maskless!

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i thought it was time to come out

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
wtf, you look real badass. also, you look half asleep.

I've found a source of orange tab Levi's locally! CMF please drop me some numbers to look out for with regards to cool orange tab cuts.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
505. 509 is a 505 but cut slimmer up top. both are great. less anti fit than red tabs.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
Got that. I'll go back in a week or so to dig up stuff. I like the smell of dust and old beautiful denim. Found plenty of UNIQLO, Lee, Edwin and Wrangler as well
smile.gif
I just wish the condition of the clothes could be slightly better. Also, how old are orange tabs? Just trying to get an idea of how old the stuff in the shop could be.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think anywhere from the 60s to the 90s. its easy to tell the newer ones. if it has a levis zipper, its at least mid 80s, and inferior

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
inferior i.e. not worth it? how do the more recent orange tabs hold up in terms of denim and construction? i've also found a pair of redline edwin 505x but i'm no good at telling how old those things are. what other markings should i be looking out for?

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
look at the back tag. if the numbers look like this: 505-0219, they are late 70s early 80s. if the 505 is printed in a different ink or looks different than the rest of the tag, they should be alright. the ones were the tag looks like it was printed as a whole, no variation at all in ink or sizing or placement, they are fairly new. these ive found are generally lower quality. look at the denim. i have a pair from the late 70s that have nicer denim than my redlines from the same period. very irregular, streaky denim, vertically falling. indigo holds up better too. also, look inside the jeans for the tag. try to find a pair that has the small tag on the outseam, with no batwing logo. should have washing instructions and "shrinks 3%" on one side, and a bunch of numbers on the other. thats another sign of 70s to early 80s levis. if there is no tag inside, and the zipper is not levis, then you have something older than mid 70s.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
whoa that's some good information there. i'll keep that in mind! levi's wise, orange tabs with unmarked zippers are good signs? what about button flys and silver tabs

thanks loads mate.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
silver tabs are generally not good. button fly, ive not really seen outside of the 501 on vintage stuff. as far as branding on the zipper, talon 42 is good, scovill is older than that, and general is older than both of them. ive seen ykk, and i think they are around the time levis was switching from outsourced zippers to levis branded zippers.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
this is why i need This Is A Pair Of Levi's Jeans. now if only i could snag serge's copy.

cheapmutha

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah.. id like a copy too. and paul ts book. all this info ive found on superfuture, various online sources that i couldnt name if i tried, and just looking at hundreds of pairs of jeans at thrift stores and vintage stores. once you see the diffrences they will stand out. i can tell a talon zip now without even opening the fly. i test myself and 90% of the time im right.

tweedlesinpink

Reaction score
i'm looking at the site right now and for its price a new copy looks quite good actually. i'm going to email them about shipping in a moment. i certainly enjoy the dusty digging amongst the pairs of old jeans on the rack! alot of strange repros that i've never seen before, looking really bleached and ugly too. alot of crap to go through before finding something of note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads