• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i10casual

Reaction score
I'm into American Psycho right now. I tried rules of attraction but just put it down after awhile. Life is too short to push through novels I don't enjoy.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm into American Psycho right now. I tried rules of attraction but just put it down after awhile. Life is too short to push through novels I don't enjoy.

I agree, but I get a little hibbley-jibbley if I quit a book halfway through. I'm a fast reader, though, so I should be able to polish this one off quickly.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eight Million Ways to Die by Lawrence Block. It's my first read of the Matthew Scudder series. It's an easy read, nothing fancy, but it doesn't read like one of those early pulp novels. There's a certain...polish to the style maybe because the narrator seems less of a narrator and more of a troubled alcoholic detective.

Will continue reading the series.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree, but I get a little hibbley-jibbley if I quit a book halfway through. I'm a fast reader, though, so I should be able to polish this one off quickly.

Okay. I read it. Not much to say about that other than I can perhaps use it as a touchstone reference anytime I wonder why so many people my age seem to be such self-absorbed a-holes.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Started this yesterday. It's pretty interesting so far. I had read about it on a sci-fi blog (probably io9) and thought I'd give it a whirl.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

»zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance

Also bailed. Very disappointing given all the peeps who'd raved how transformational it is (was to them).

I remember being very impressed with that book when I read it. I was also 18 years old. I dunno how well it would hold up if older, perhaps wiser me read it now. I do remember wondering at the time why the author was such a self-absorbed douche at the same time as being kind of wise/profound.

I enjoyed the relatively limited bits that actually dealt with motorcycle maintenance, and generally liked his efforts to use motorcycle maintenance analogies to illustrate certain simplistic, western-style zen lite concepts.

The parts that dealt with the relationship between the protagonist and his son were tolerable, although the son was portrayed as such a miserable, douchey caricature of sullen male adolescence that it made me that the author must have really hated/resented his kid.

The 60% or so of the book that was basically a demonstration of the protagonist/author's manic obsession with pseudo-philosophical theories was ******* unreadable and made me angry at everyone who has ever raved about the book to demonstrate their own coolness and seriousness.

It took something like 6 formulaic mystery/thrillers a couple of sci-fi/fantasy books to recover from that narcissistic bullshit.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I enjoyed the relatively limited bits that actually dealt with motorcycle maintenance, and generally liked his efforts to use motorcycle maintenance analogies to illustrate certain simplistic, western-style zen lite concepts.

The parts that dealt with the relationship between the protagonist and his son were tolerable, although the son was portrayed as such a miserable, douchey caricature of sullen male adolescence that it made me that the author must have really hated/resented his kid.

The 60% or so of the book that was basically a demonstration of the protagonist/author's manic obsession with pseudo-philosophical theories was ******* unreadable and made me angry at everyone who has ever raved about the book to demonstrate their own coolness and seriousness.

It took something like 6 formulaic mystery/thrillers a couple of sci-fi/fantasy books to recover from that narcissistic bullshit.

The worst part was the epilogue he wrote years later to let everyone know that his son had been murdered outside of a Buddhist temple in Oakland or Berkeley or somewhere, after growing up to be a Much Better Person than You Will Ever Be. Even as a kid I rolled my eyes at that part.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

The worst part was the epilogue he wrote years later to let everyone know that his son had been murdered outside of a Buddhist temple in Oakland or Berkeley or somewhere, after growing up to be a Much Better Person than You Will Ever Be. Even as a kid I rolled my eyes at that part.

Ugh, yeah, forgot about that.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finished I Claudius. I want to read the sequel where hopefully Claudius kicks ass. I watched Caligula the movie once. Pretty much that in book form at the end

Also Old Man and the Sea. I enjoyed the sparse writing style. Don't know why it took me til now to read this

Last edited:

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eight Million Ways to Die by Lawrence Block. It's my first read of the Matthew Scudder series. It's an easy read, nothing fancy, but it doesn't read like one of those early pulp novels. There's a certain...polish to the style maybe because the narrator seems less of a narrator and more of a troubled alcoholic detective.

Will continue reading the series.

Read the next 3 in the series - When the Sacred Ginmill Closes, Out on the Cutting Edge, and A Ticket to the Boneyard. Enjoyed the first 2, but Boneyard... seemed more like a suspense or thriller novel so I didn't enjoy it too much. About to start A Dance at the Slaughterhouse.

Schizm

Reaction score

Started this yesterday. It's pretty interesting so far. I had read about it on a sci-fi blog (probably io9) and thought I'd give it a whirl.

Read that then immediately move on to the second in the series, The Dark Forest. Eagerly awaiting the third.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Read that then immediately move on to the second in the series, The Dark Forest. Eagerly awaiting the third.

That's my plan. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm just about done--maybe 30 pages to go, which I will polish off tonight.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's my plan. I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm just about done--maybe 30 pages to go, which I will polish off tonight.

I actually had fewer pages than I thought--there were a bunch of footnotes at the back of my Nook edition. Anyway: great book and I already downloaded The Dark Forest. :slayer:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads