• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I started The Shipping News by Annie Proulx last night. I'm about 30 pages in so far.

I enjoyed that when I read it years ago. Her writing seemed to go off a cliff and fall into the Sea of Pretentious Unsufferability after that, but obviously it's possible that has more to do with my tastes and mindset than her writing. Haven't read any of her recent stuff because I so hated the one or two things I did read after Shipping News that I stopped paying any attention.

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I enjoyed that when I read it years ago. Her writing seemed to go off a cliff and fall into the Sea of Pretentious Unsufferability after that, but obviously it's possible that has more to do with my tastes and mindset than her writing. Haven't read any of her recent stuff because I so hated the one or two things I did read after Shipping News that I stopped paying any attention.

I happened to read an interview with her on the NYT website a couple of days ago and she did seem a little pretentious to me, but perhaps I'm just too much of a rube to appreciate her obscure literary tastes. But I like TSN so far.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

I happened to read an interview with her on the NYT website a couple of days ago and she did seem a little pretentious to me, but perhaps I'm just too much of a rube to appreciate her obscure literary tastes. But I like TSN so far.

Cool. As I said, I liked TSN.
She has some book with accordians in the title. Accordian Crimes, I think. Anyway, it was awful. You've been warned

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Can't tell if this is a slow burn or I just haven't been able to focus on it. It's been weeks since purchasing and I'm only in chapter 5 (about 60 pages).

This has picked up considerably and I'm nearly done. However, this came in the mail a few days ago...

:slayer:

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished reading "the Search for the Man in the Iron Mask."

Very hard read as the size of the letters could have been bigger instead of all crammed in.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just read Fast One by Paul Cain. Pulp fiction hero gets pulled into a few double crosses and a few femme fatales who might not be who they appear to be. Surprised this was never made to film as it reads like what we would nowadays consider an action film.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished Thomas Thompson's true crime novel Blood and Money. It read like a combination of the JFK assassination and The Thin Blue Line. A Houston socialite's bizarre death and subsequent suspicion of foul play sparks a chain of events among a her ambitious doting oil baron father, adulterous aloof widower, and a cast of Texans that read so vividly you'd think the entire story could have been a season of Dallas.

Last edited:

VaderDave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really enjoyed The Shipping News.

I finished it last night. I really enjoyed it as well.

At the end of the e-book was the first chapter of Barkskins, AP's most recent novel. I liked the first chapter, so I downloaded the whole book and am about 50 pages in now. So far so good.

SirReveller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not great but he wasn't in Hue either. Def a solid vacay read. Turns out this was the competent Lt. in HBO's miniseries on the Iraq invasion "Generation Kill" so if you're looking for a reason to (re)watch that..

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished reading "Full Circle." a memoir of Erin Callan, the former CFO of Lehman Brothers.

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished 2 true crime novels: Blood and Money by Thomas Thompson and Till Death Us Do Part by Vincent Bugliosi.

Both are set in the late 60s and early 70s. Blood and Money in Houston and Till Death Us Do Part in LA. Both are pretty much about alleged murderers who have a good deal of circumstantial evidence to cause suspicion of their responsibility of the murder. And both alleged murderers are two of the oddest characters I've ever read about. I guess they're almost so odd they have to be real.

The rest of the characters in Blood and Money are just larger than life Texas characters that would satirize Texans were they fictional. It's just a conspiracy of murders one after another after an oil baron's only daughter marries a doctor who loves spending money (but doesn't have any).

In the other novel, it's almost like reading about a real life Double Indemnity and Strangers on a Train and the insurance-related murders appear to be stimulated by lust, greed, and a calculated psychopath. Just really bizarre.

I found both novels to be interesting, although both seemed to become laborious to read by the final few chapters. They seem to tie up the story, but I would say no fiction writer would ever drag out the end like the way these 2 novels finished.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Faux59