• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rambo
Oooh. Interesting. I'm a fan of Carey's. Let me know how this is once you get done with it.

It was good, but not morrison/gaiman good, you know? Classic paint-by-numbers vertigo. I got a little sick of that stuff a couple years ago but it was nice to go back to it. They have some really great guest artists stoo.

estlincs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rathbone
Nothing very cerebral. Just finished the new Usagi Yojimbo deluxe two-volume set, the Chew Omnivore Edition and Four Color Fear: Forgotten Horror Comics of the 1950s. Now starting on something with less pictures, The Long Ships by Frans Bengsston.

51J5byVCqeL.jpg

51IK6UsrimL.jpg

Oh man, super jealous on that Usagi Yojimbo set! I've read them all, but that thing is beautiful.

The Chew books are fantastic fun!

Recently read:

Holmes On The Range

5127umt%2BwQL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

A solid murder mystery/western wherein the two main characters are fascinated by Sherlock Holmes, and find themselves in a Holmesian-esque story. Quite good.

Anarchy Evolution

51o45npYSuL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Good story, mainly because I'm fascinated by Greg Graffin/Bad Religion, especially the early years. He does an ok job of paralleling his life as a punk singer and an evolutionary biologist.

51YmaXucA2L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This was quite enjoyable, but I really like Nate Powell's art.

I've been slacking on reading comics lately, but have been going through Scott Pilgrim (got the whole set for Xmas), and have Starman omnibus #5 to go.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I've been kind of revisiting my first year college English reading list (which I never read at the time, but still managed a pretty solid B on, which probably says something).

Currently Heart of Darkness. Did Moll Flanders before that, Great Expectations too.

Also rediscovering Shakespeare while I am in this mood, but watching movie versions (generally BBC adaptations that tend to be pretty minimalist, almost like filmed stage shows) rather than reading. I know that doesn't count as reading, but it's all part of the same kick I am currently on, so I'm listing it here nonetheless.

Did the BBC's Tempest, Romeo and Juliet, King Lear, Othello, Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, and Much Ado About Nothing.

Edging my way through Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet at the moment, toss in BBC's Taming of the Shrew, Julius Caesar and maybe MacBeth, and then I think I'll be done with the Shakespeare thing for a while.

Genesis 30:3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
I've been kind of revisiting my first year college English reading list (which I never read at the time, but still managed a pretty solid B on, which probably says something).

Currently Heart of Darkness. Did Moll Flanders before that, Great Expectations too.

Also rediscovering Shakespeare while I am in this mood, but watching movie versions (generally BBC adaptations that tend to be pretty minimalist, almost like filmed stage shows) rather than reading. I know that doesn't count as reading, but it's all part of the same kick I am currently on, so I'm listing it here nonetheless.

Did the BBC's Tempest, Romeo and Juliet, King Lear, Othello, Midsummer Night's Dream, Twelfth Night, and Much Ado About Nothing.

Edging my way through Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet at the moment, toss in BBC's Taming of the Shrew, Julius Caesar and maybe MacBeth, and then I think I'll be done with the Shakespeare thing for a while.

read those for AP prose class this year. how bout jane eyre and wuthering heights?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
LOL, sounds like a pretty similar course load.

Both Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre were on the second list for me. Those were ones that I was interested in enough to download and watch a decent movie adaptation, but not interested enough to devote the time to reading. Basically works that were worth two hours to me rather than 20. I watched a bunch of things late last year in that vain. The This Is How We Roll thread is suffering for for my new-found desire to take in such works by the way.

I really liked both of them, worth going back and reading at some point.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rathbone
Nothing very cerebral. Just finished the new Usagi Yojimbo deluxe two-volume set, the Chew Omnivore Edition and Four Color Fear: Forgotten Horror Comics of the 1950s. Now starting on something with less pictures, The Long Ships by Frans Bengsston.

51J5byVCqeL.jpg

51IK6UsrimL.jpg

fourcolorfear.jpg

n300568.jpg

My brother recently picked up Chew, and I have to say I love it. Good story, fun characters, but serious enough to keep you interested. Highly recommend it to anyone.

As for novels, I`m currently on an Ian Rankin binge. Great stuff.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Making of Casablanca. I've had the damn thing for five years, but just cracked it open last Monday. Midway through.

Some interesting notes:

- Jack Warner was such a cheapass that he often scoured the studio lots for nails on the ground to later use in the construction of sets.
- Ingrid Bergman originally wanted no part of this movie.
- Bogart's wife was a drunk (and really unattractive).
- The producer originally wanted Sam to be a woman (possibly played by Lena Horne).
- At the time of the book's original release (1992), the few people involved with the film still living view the movie in a negative light for various reasons.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads