What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

my fave of his was hardboiled wonderland or maybe norwegian wood
    both still left me ambivalent

his writing cleanses the palate but like a glass of water, does not leave too much of an impression

I liked Norwegian Wood a lot, too. I didn't read Wonderland yet. The thing his, all his books leave you with a similar feeling - some kind of sad emotion inside, but it's fleeting/hollow. I think that is the point. Many of his books follow a theme of life being unpredictable and uncontrollable, of love being lost inexplicably, and of dull heartache. Murakami never leaves you with a clear message about life, only a dull emotion that you can't really place. For you, that emotion is "shrugging". For me, well, I just know it's something bittersweet and unspoken that most authors do not reach in their writing, so I keep reading his books for another hit.

2. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

i agree with you on that last point. i keep coming back. i feel like an abused wife.

3. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Im very late to the party with this one, but:

The Rest is Noise - It's the story of classical/art music in the 20th century. The most erudite work Ive ever read on the topic, Im been booking seats at every performance possible since picking up this book.

I'm reading this on and off. The writing is great, but it's frustrating not to have the music available to listen to--I own very little classical. I got the book from the library, but have blown $50 on classical music recordings since I started reading.

4. skidsm

skidsm Senior member

^^^
    same here. been reading a chapter here and there since Christmas. Ross does a great job turning some very abstract ideas into digestible prose.

I agree about the music. "Excuse me, sir, what version of Wozzeck do you recommend?"

5. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

infinite jest

6. denimdestroyedmylife

^ YES! what do you think so far kunk?

7. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^i like. reminds me a bit of pynchon.

just read part of the book about IRS employees he was working on before his death. great concept.

8. denimdestroyedmylife

yeah he certainly worshiped at the altar of pynchon and gaddis
    indeed he seems like their lovechild (the wit of the former, the latter's gravitas)

9. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

and more prosy than delillo

10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

^i like. reminds me a bit of pynchon.

just read part of the book about IRS employees he was working on before his death. great concept.

The New Yorker story (not the excerpt; the reporting) was great, too.

In college I rolled my eyes at David Foster Wallace b/c we had so many weak DFW disciples on campus. But I've since realized that that wasn't his fault.

EDIT: New Yorker story here.

11. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^got a few excerpts from a friend who works in publishing.

i'm really conflicted about him because i have a hard time coming to grips with someone who is so strangled by the fact that he has this enormous talent, gets paid for said talent and is recognized and revered for said talent. i guess i just don't understand depression on that huge and profound a level.

12. MetroStyles

^got a few excerpts from a friend who works in publishing.

i'm really conflicted about him because i have a hard time coming to grips with someone who is so strangled by the fact that he has this enormous talent, gets paid for said talent and is recognized and revered for said talent. i guess i just don't understand depression on that huge and profound a level.

Are you referring to DFW?

13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

^yeah

14. MetroStyles

^yeah
    Funny, I guess I only understand depression on that level (assuming it's not caused by chemical imbalance). How can one be truly depressed without hope when there are things in one's life that be improved through action? However, when you've reached the top, succeeded at your craft and in the eyes of society, not sold out in the process, and you still find yourself asking: "Is this it? What is the meaning of this?", then you are in trouble, because a trip to the headhunter and new girlfriend are not gonna fix shit.

15. thekunk07

thekunk07 Senior member

i've dealt with mild depression for years but could always see light, no matter how long the tunnel.