• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still working through The Wake Forest Book of Irish Women's Poetry. Poetry is not something that I read quickly (it's not something that anybody should rush through IMO) so this will take a while. Over halfway done with Hollinghurst's Swimming-Pool Library. Maybe I'll try to kill it this weekend.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Still working through The Wake Forest Book of Irish Women's Poetry. Poetry is not something that I read quickly (it's not something that anybody should rush through IMO) so this will take a while.

dozingoff.gif

Conne, I don't think that pretending to be reading/interested in Irish female poets is gonna get you anything but possibly honorary membership in the Erin Go Braless Sapphos Society
confused.gif

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
dozingoff.gif
Conne, I don't think that pretending to be reading/interested in Irish female poets is gonna get you anything but possibly honorary membership in the Erin Go Braless Sapphos Society
confused.gif

crackup[1].gif
That was good. I have a soft spot for Irish poetry of all stripes. Women poets from Ireland are fantastic. Eavan Boland, Moya Cannon, Nuala Ni Dhomhnaill, Medbh McGuckian, etc. They are all worth reading.

skidsm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
Funny, I guess I only understand depression on that level (assuming it's not caused by chemical imbalance). How can one be truly depressed without hope when there are things in one's life that be improved through action? However, when you've reached the top, succeeded at your craft and in the eyes of society, not sold out in the process, and you still find yourself asking: "Is this it? What is the meaning of this?", then you are in trouble, because a trip to the headhunter and new girlfriend are not gonna fix ****.

this week's New Yorker has an article on DFW that speaks to this issue a bit:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...309fa_fact_max

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started reading This Is Your Brain On Music a while back and have just picked it up again (I seem to have this problem with non-fiction)

Markus Laczko

Reaction score
I devour books, this year I've fed my mind more the my stomach but currently

Baldesar Castiglione - How to achieve true greatness

Oscar Wilde - Picture of Dorian Gray

Lewis Carol - Alice in Wonderland

Malcom Gladwell - Outliers

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Markus Laczko
I devour books, this year I've fed my mind more the my stomach but currently

Baldesar Castiglione - How to achieve true greatness

Oscar Wilde - Picture of Dorian Gray

Lewis Carol - Alice in Wonderland

Malcom Gladwell - Outliers

Dorian Gray is one the most hilariously and through-provokingly quotable pieces of fiction ever written.

limping_decorum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re-reading at some point before september american tabloid and the cold six thousand by james ellroy.

bloods a rover, the final installment, comes out in september.

skidsm

Reaction score
just picked up

junot diaz - the brief wondrous life of oscar wao

60 pages in and i'm very impressed.

mink31

Reaction score
I just started Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie this weekend. It's fantastically and carefully written and a pleasure to read so far. Also, Rushdie has a great sense of humor and the absurd, making this one hard to put down.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up Delillo's Underworld yesterday and started in on the first chapter. The Giants-Dodgers penant game featureing Sinatra, Jackie Gleason, and J Edgar Hoover- what an opening!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've only read the foreward and introduction (the rest will have to wait 'till finals are done) but I am excited to delve into this.
x1791.jpg
Will also try to read Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, but I think the Yeats tome will require all of my attention.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads