• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are You Drinking for Thanksgiving 2009?

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We usually have a Grand or Premier Cru red Burgundy with Thanksgiving dinner, but this year I am going to change things up and serve a 1999 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne. As an aperitif I am serving Kirkland Champagne (I'm curious about it given the quality of the Kirkland Macallan bottlings). The dessert wine will be 1990 Ch. Suduiraut, but I'll also open a bottle of Dow 1977 at some point during the evening.

The dinner will be traditional: turkey, dressing, yams, sprouts etc. Appetizers will be Jambon Iberico, olives, almonds, gougere etc. Dessert will be pumpkin chiffon pie and if I get ambitious pumpkin creme brulee.

What are you drinking for Thanksgiving?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cool thread. I'm going to be pairing the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection with different courses in the meal. I think I'm going to open with the Eagle Rare 17 followed by the Saz 18 for salad and soup respectively. The main course will feature George T. Stagg and Thomas H. Handy, desert, William Larue Weller. I'll also have some nice California Cabs and Chards available. Should be nice.

Bartolo

Reaction score
Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet this year. 2005 Les Ruschottes. No, we're not having company
wink.gif

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After all the talk about Zin, and seeing the replies leading people to Ridge, I think I will give them a try this year. I'll probably start with the Three Valleys and see how that goes.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cocktails will probably be Alabazams, Old Fashioneds, or Sazeracs.

Between the sausage in the stuffing and the old family recipe uncooked cranberry relish that we serve, there are few wines that can manage, but only one I've found is ideal: Gewurtztraminer. The acidity and the slight sweetness holds up to the relish and cuts through the gravy while the spiciness works well with the pepper of the sausage in the stuffing. With the meal I serve this match seems truly inspired.

For reasons of tradition, I make Thanksgiving dinner identically as my mother did every year, which requires that dessert be her coconut creme pie, which doesn't pair well with most cocktails or dessert wines, so that might be served with Zacapa 23 or just coffee. Probably won't be interested in dessert wine by that time, but a split of '01 Doisey-Vedrines could be opened. Maybe even the Guiraud or Rieussec, but I doubt it. More likely a glass of Calvados, Grappa, or Grand Marnier Centenaire will end it. I find it hard to plan definitely beyond the wine (which is largely dictated by the pairing with the food) to allow room for the feelings of the moment to interpose themselves.

~H

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spudnik99
I'm drinking enough to deal with my Dittohead, Beck-paranoid aunt's husband.

What's he drinking to deal with you?

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
What's he drinking to deal with you?

Beck is going to go shot for shot with him while listening to Odelay.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ama
Beck is going to go shot for shot with him while listening to Odelay.

laugh.gif

Montrachet

Reaction score
I think I'm going to go with Meritage for Thanksgiving this year. Maybe I'll make that the new tradition, because it seems especially fitting due to its American-ness.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always stock up on Natty Boh when I go home for Thanksgiving, but a new micro-brew could be nice...

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Cocktails will probably be Alabazams, Old Fashioneds, or Sazeracs.

Between the sausage in the stuffing and the old family recipe uncooked cranberry relish that we serve, there are few wines that can manage, but only one I've found is ideal: Gewurtztraminer. The acidity and the slight sweetness holds up to the relish and cuts through the gravy while the spiciness works well with the pepper of the sausage in the stuffing. With the meal I serve this match seems truly inspired.

For reasons of tradition, I make Thanksgiving dinner identically as my mother did every year, which requires that dessert be her coconut creme pie, which doesn't pair well with most cocktails or dessert wines, so that might be served with Zacapa 23 or just coffee. Probably won't be interested in dessert wine by that time, but a split of '01 Doisey-Vedrines could be opened. Maybe even the Guiraud or Rieussec, but I doubt it. More likely a glass of Calvados, Grappa, or Grand Marnier Centenaire will end it. I find it hard to plan definitely beyond the wine (which is largely dictated by the pairing with the food) to allow room for the feelings of the moment to interpose themselves.

~H

Cranberry sauce/relish is definitely a wine killer. I usually wait until seconds on food or my third or fourth glass of wine before I put it on my plate.

Coconut creme pie is great, but, as you suggest kind of difficult to pair. I'd try a PX sherry or, better a Bual or Malmsey Madeira, the acidity should cut through the creaminess of the pie, and if you're lucky it'll have some tropical fruit flavor to it that'll play off the coconut nicely.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads