• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesco Boots!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was thinking an additional 1/4” on the heel stack, for a little extra comfort while standing.

From what I’ve read, the arch support isn’t as pronounced as White’s arch ease, right?

the double sole is certainly a unique look. I’ve seen a few pics that I like, but more that I don’t. I’m probably going with a single midsole and Vibram 700, but I haven’t completely ruled-out a second midsole and the 705.

I also occasionally drift to liking 14” over 11” height for a better balance - but I gotta remind myself that it all looks the same under a pair of jeans. And that added height is just added heat in South Texas!

I got lucky last time I decided I wanted new boots in that Bakers were running a 10% off sale. Is there a chance another sale like that will come up soon?

Last edited:

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
I think White's standard heel is 1-1/2" and the standard Boss is 2", just in case you're not aware.

That's right, compared to the 55 last there's less arch support but compared to the MP/barrie last Wesco provides more support.

I'm also in Texas and I definitely prefer 10-11" tops for boots with a preference towards 6-8" for non-engineer boots. If you don't have them already wool socks are key to be able to wear boots even during the summer.

I suppose there's a chance they may provide a sale to encourage spending if they deem it necessary but otherwise I think they have/had a newsletter discount of 5-10%.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks again.

I’m honing in on my build and will probably place an order over the weekend.

Final decisions:

Double midsole and 705 or single midsole and 700. Both would have about the same thickness of material where the boot flexes at the arch, so I guess it’s more of a style thing. Might balance out the stacked heel?

Natural toe or celastic toe box? I’ve seen some side view shots of natural toes looking sleek and awesome, but from the top with my EEE width and a Boss toe the collapse may not be so nice.

I see some people buy brass roller buckles and mail them in. I’m not really sure why that’s so popular- the stock brass buckles look ok to me, but am I missing something here?

It looks like asking for triple stitching on the vamp-shaft might be an option you can ask for. Might be nice?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was going to opt for an unlined shaft and then I started reading about the magical cooling properties of Cambrelle. Living in South Texas and all, is this something I should consider?

miggyramone

Reaction score
Regarding lining - does wesco line the vamp of their boots? Or does that only come with the $99 lining fee?

I was going over my build and that leather lining fee... yikes. I may have to put some more pennies away If I want my boots lined.

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
That's odd, I typed up a response and I could have sworn I posted it. @JustinW

I think either option would work out but I've only used the 700 so I'd probably be a bit biased and opt for that.

I think you can also choose to get it partially structured but for a Boss boot I would opt for a celastic.

I've never sent in any buckles but some people may like to be fully in control or simply have a preferred buckle that they feel is either aesthetically more pleasing or more reliable. I'm ignorant of any other possible pros or cons.

I would definitely ask for the triple V stitching, I really like that about the makeups the stockists do.

Personally I prefer unlined with wool socks but I've never had anything lined with Cambrelle, I don't know how maintenance of a synthetic lining like Cambrelle would be but if Wesco is confident to offer it then it must have its benefits. If I were to line a pair of boots I would probably stick to the leather lining and I'd only do so with CXL or horsehide.

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
@miggyramone I believe lining is included by default on the Johannes but otherwise the boots are all unlined unless specified otherwise; I checked my Hendriks and the vamp is indeed lined.

miggyramone

Reaction score
@miggyramone I believe lining is included by default on the Johannes but otherwise the boots are all unlined unless specified otherwise; I checked my Hendriks and the vamp is indeed lined.
Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in the Jobmaster. Not sure on the leather yet, waring for samples. Worst case scenario, I'll wait another month or two to order.

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I'm interested in the Jobmaster. Not sure on the leather yet, waring for samples. Worst case scenario, I'll wait another month or two to order.
IMO White's offers better clicking of CXL leathers so if you opt for that I suggest going lined for sure.

miggyramone

Reaction score
^No more CXL for me. I am looking at either standard Brown, British Tan Domain, or Burgundy Domain. I'm supposed to get samples in soon, so I'll see after that.

My experience with Domain leather was through nicks. Domain seems to hold it's shape and be less stretchy than CXL.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would love to see some pics of a double midsole and V705. I found this pic on the internet of a double midsole and it looks a little scary!

030A4143-E07A-402F-863A-1416C859EFB1.jpeg

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found another pic online of a double mid and 705. This looks much better.
55218D3E-C946-4A32-9745-85FFCD5A48A3.jpeg
A42280C6-C292-407C-9156-332D952584B2.jpeg

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is there a reason Wesco don’t offer brown domain anymore?

SleepyTexan

Reaction score
I'm uncertain, if I had to guess I would assume it was either somehow unpopular or more popular than another leather they're pushing for so they shelved it; alternatively, maybe a stockist paid for exclusivity of the leather for a period of time but that's a question for Wesco.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got a reply from Kyle: brown domain is an option at Bakers! I’m ordering on Thursday.

Coronabonus Boots!!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads