• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Suit Critique - T minus 10 days

ew4180

Reaction score
Hi Everyone - I am getting married soon and need help on final alterations I can make to this RTW suit. I was going to wear an old one since I never get to wear suits anymore, but my wife insisted I get a new one. I was far too late at that time to do MTM, so RTW it is. I've probably got only one more round left at the tailor to fit in. Lastly, would appreciate any suggestions on the tie. I thought the magenta one looked best but worried it will detract from the suit (maybe that's a good thing). Also, for shoes, should I go with the reddish brown or the tan ones in the last pic. Don't worry I know to polish them. I just got them resoled. Thank you!!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4986.jpg
    IMG_4986.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4987 (1).jpg
    IMG_4987 (1).jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4989.jpg
    IMG_4989.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4992.jpg
    IMG_4992.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4993.jpg
    IMG_4993.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4999.jpg
    IMG_4999.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5003.jpg
    IMG_5003.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_5004.jpg
    IMG_5004.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 157

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
congratulations!

The suit generally fits you well enough. Given you have only 10 days, I'd suggest the following:
- The left jacket sleeve looks a little long in your photos.
- definitely not the tan shoes. I'd prefer black captoes but the brown shoes are much better than the tan shoes.
- a nitpick, but see if you can find a white shirt whose collar points rest under your lapels.

ew4180

Reaction score
Thanks!

1. Noticed that too. I think I just wasn’t standing up straight. I have a low right shoulder I just put it back on and it looks ok.

2. Thanks. Brown it is!

3. Got it - yep, I don’t plan to wear that shirt.

4. What tie color?

5. I’m probably most disappointed at the side view of the crease and shoulder dimpling. It’s a super 180, so unfortunately it’s just more pronounced. Oversight on my part not to go with a heavier weighted fabric with more body.

6. Im likely going to lose another 3 lbs before the wedding day. I know, but my wife again is insisting I lose more of my mid section.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
This is the least SF post in a while; usually it's "My wedding is in 14 months should I go Esteban Hitchcough or straight up Andersdottir and Sheppardson for my morning stroller?? For my ivory dinner jacket in either shantung or ivory WSL I am planning to meet Mr. Carcetti and Mr. Soprani from DeLiverianzi and Procuitti when I visit Florence in March and then have a final fitting when they're in NYC in May....BTW Would Mr. Chow or Mr. Leung over at Baotao Road be better for my pique shirt?? Opera pumps or straight up patent wholecuts??? My fiancee is wearing a white dress of some sort, IIRC...not sure...if that helps..."

Jokes aside, my tailor would probably suggest cleaning up the upper back and those wrinkles around the small of your back a little bit, but that's a bit risky with the time crunch so I'd probably just leave it. There's not much you can do with the shoulder; that's just a combination of the fabric and the construction. Regardless, these are all diminishing returns anyway; you're 90% of the way there and and everyone is going to be looking at your wife anyway you're probably fine.

I like the magenta tie; seems like a bit of fun for an end of summer wedding, unless you're in Australia or something. The ivory tie seems more appropriate for a stroller suit or morning suit even. A total nitpick I'd suggest a smaller knot though? You seem to have a slimmer-than-average frame, and that looks a bit thick. If that's the size/shape you're comfortable with though, definitely don't change anything on account of my stupid advice.

Frankly, I'm most worried about the part where you're dropping 3lbs in 10 days, which will be a physically taxing process unless you're experienced in weight-class sports like wrestling or weightlifting where this sort of thing is normal; this is exacerbated by the fact that you already look quite slim. 3 pounds of midsection is not really perceivable through the blue jacket so unless your wife plans to undress you and show off her new slab of manmeat to the crowd (not saying this is a bad thing, and frankly I wouldn't want to marry someone who didn't want to do that, but it'd certainly be an unusual activity unless you're a Dothraki), this seems like a recipe for pointlessly feeling no bueno on the big day.

ew4180

Reaction score
Thanks!!! magenta tie it is. Yep the full Windsor is what I know best as my ties are usually of the thinner variety. This is my first beefy silk ricci tie. Planning to do a half Windsor for sure on that beast.

Sigh…those shoulders….I cried inside when they put it on today. On the back…I’ll ask them to clean it up. It’s free in any event. Any muscle groups to work out to help the fit?

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Any muscle groups to work out to help the fit?

Like, you want to change your physique in a week? Assuming you're not pulling our legs, there's nothing you can do in week to add (or lose) muscle unless you have that Venom stuff that Bane from the Batman universe uses. If you were an actor in an action movie, they'd have dumbbells on set for you do a bunch of repetitions on right before the camera rolls, to increase blood flow to the area such that it momentarily looks bigger but you obviously wouldn't be doing that.

You're already ahead of 95% of schlubs who unwittingly ruin their own wedding photos by showing up looking awful, so just focus on the reality that everyone is looking at your wife or perhaps the open bar if there is one, and no one is there to see you anyway.

ew4180

Reaction score
Like, you want to change your physique in a week? Assuming you're not pulling our legs, there's nothing you can do in week to add (or lose) muscle unless you have that Venom stuff that Bane from the Batman universe uses. If you were an actor in an action movie, they'd have dumbbells on set for you do a bunch of repetitions on right before the camera rolls, to increase blood flow to the area such that it momentarily looks bigger but you obviously wouldn't be doing that.

You're already ahead of 95% of schlubs who unwittingly ruin their own wedding photos by showing up looking awful, so just focus on the reality that everyone is looking at your wife or perhaps the open bar if there is one, and no one is there to see you anyway

.if I can work out to mitigate the shoulder crease

You're already ahead of 95% of schlubs who unwittingly ruin their own wedding photos by showing up looking awful, so just focus on the reality that everyone is looking at your wife or perhaps the open bar if there is one, and no one is there to see you anyway.
I was only asking if there’s a specific muscle group I can work on in the next week that will at least help mitigate the shoulder issue

GaiusM

Reaction score
I was only asking if there’s a specific muscle group I can work on in the next week that will at least help mitigate the shoulder issue
There isn't
Your torso is fine in the suit. Losing 3 lbs will not make any appreciable difference when dressed. You are trim and not fat which already puts you above almost everyone else.
Worry about things you can control like tie knots. That said it would't hurt to get involved in an exercise regimen for the future.

Father Style

Reaction score
Considering it’s your wedding, you are likely feeling stressed as the day is fast approaching. Relax. You have a nice-looking ensemble and everything looks fine. It’s normal to feel the need to tweak things up until the last second so that things are “perfect” but… they’ll never be perfect.
You have your rig locked down a week out from your wedding. Well done. Check it off the list and mentally move on. Like others have already said, everyone is looking at your wife anyway.
Now, about the issue of your wife insisting you lose weight before the wedding… that’s giving off some toxic vibes. Would she be cool if you insisted she do the same?

FatherStyle.com

ew4180

Reaction score
Thanks Father Style for the words of encouragement! My wife-to-be isn't really forcing me, she's been encouraging me to do it for a long time (and mostly because I had a health scare a couple of months ago). I've lost 3 lbs in the last week with some heavy work out and diet, and she's been really proud, so I plan on keeping to the routine in the next 10 days. So, I was saying it more in jest to the group here =).

That said, no stone left unturned! The tailor at where I bought my suit told me to feel free to inquire about any last minute adjustments. I have to go back in a couple of days to try on the shirt they are altering for me anyways.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your wedding!
The suit looks pretty good. I can understand why you want a few minor tweaks, but resist the temptation to go too far. If I were you, I'd find some perfectly shined dark shoes, a shirt whose collar works with suit, a nice pocket square, and a spiffy but modest boutonniere. Nice accessories and a good haircut will keep the attention on your face.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

6. Im likely going to lose another 3 lbs before the wedding day. I know, but my wife again is insisting I lose more of my mid section.
You’re not even married yet and she’s already nagging you about your weighty kid section?

You still have time to rethink this whole scenario! Otherwise good time ahead for you. Congrats and good luck with the suit!

ew4180

Reaction score
You’re not even married yet and she’s already nagging you about your weighty kid section?

You still have time to rethink this whole scenario! Otherwise good time ahead for you. Congrats and good luck with the suit!
Lol. She’s already seen me too many times ordering a whole pizza at 2am and crushing it completely.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't risk last minute alterations. It's fine. Yes your left sleeve looks longer than your right but I'm not sure if that's actually true or if the shirt and jacket just got bunched up a little or rode up a little, ie, if you just yank it down it might be all aligned. Yes I think you could let out a little bit around the waist to improve the minor pulling but it's totally adequate as-is. Yes you could probably chill on the 2am pizzas for the next 10 days and it might help things but don't think you're gonna change body shape in 10 days significantly, unless you spend all 10 days awake on meth. Chill out a bit and enjoy your wedding!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads