• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding ring advice

darkshades

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I'm hoping some of you have some expertise in this area and can help me out. I've been looking into engagement rings and wedding bands and have found plenty of info on choosing the right diamond. However, I can't decide on a metal for the rings. It seems like white gold and platinum are the two most popular choices. I'm wondering if anyone knows what some of the differences are in regard to maintenance and wear for these and if one is "better" than the other in your opinion. If you have any personal experiences with any of these kinds of rings, please share them...it would make things a lot easier! Thanks in advance!

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Platinum develops a nice patina. FTW

White gold has to be replated. FTL

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
replated? why? it should be solid gold.

No, it isn't. The gold is plated with rhodium to give it its white color. Rhodium wears away over time.

OTOH, platinum rings are typically 95% or more platinum.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Platinum actually will wear much better than white gold among other advantages. The only real downside to platinum is its cost.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
replated? why? it should be solid gold.

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/whitegold.html

12 karat white gold would be half gold and half other metals, including palladium and/or nickel. Nickel is much cheaper than palladium, so it is widely used in white gold jewelry in the U.S.; but so many people are allergic to nickel that it is forbidden in jewelry in Europe, and palladium would be used there instead.
frown.gif

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say this as someone who just spent a fair amount of time in picking and choosing an engagement ring, of which I just received last week.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by magogian12345
No, it isn't. The gold is plated with rhodium to give it its white color. Rhodium wears away over time.

Originally Posted by Bhowie
frown.gif

i think i agree with bhowie, that the white gold is still solid but it is just a mix of gold and another metal. because my white gold (actually two tone) band is still white even after 7 years of abuse. center strip is white, outer edge is yellow gold.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i think i agree with bhowie, that the white gold is still solid but it is just a mix of gold and another metal. because my white gold (actually two tone) band is still white even after 7 years of abuse. center strip is white, outer edge is yellow gold.

Read the full text of my link. The ring is plated in rhodium or some other metal.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It isn't about "agreeing." (not sure if you are saying you disagree with me or not) From wiki, "Almost all white gold jewelry is rhodium plated since gold alloyed with palladium or nickel never comes out true white, but tinted brown, therefore requiring a thin layer of rhodium to mask the tinted shade and make it true white."

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get 22K gold. It's a classic look, and it'll encourage you to get a gold watch. Also find a woman who doesn't like diamonds
smile.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
White gold is most often plated to make it whiter, but it's still kind of white without the plating.

magogian12345

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Get 22K gold. It's a classic look, and it'll encourage you to get a gold watch. Also find a woman who doesn't like diamonds
smile.gif

The problem with high "k" count white gold is that it is soft. This can be a big problem for an engagement ring, especially if you have smaller diamonds in a setting. Most jewelers will recommend a lower "K" count for an engagement ring.

darkshades

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! so from what I've gathered so far, white gold needs to be replated cuz it's not naturally white (and I'm assuming platinum is since no one's mentioned that it needs to be replated to keep its color). as far as a high K gold, I don't want a soft metal that's going to lose the diamond...since someone mentioned plat. is stronger, would that probably make it the safer bet for holding diamonds?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads