• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Jeans with a French-Cuff Shirt? ...

Leverandon

Reaction score
I think you're 'trying too hard' to win this debate.
^titcr

Seriously though, a tie is a great men's accessory. Forty years ago men wouldn't have had a second thought about tossing one on when they went out to grab a drink. I just don't think its trying that hard if you want to wear one. Men should always feel free to wear a tie.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leverandon
^titcr

Seriously though, a tie is a great men's accessory. Forty years ago men wouldn't have had a second thought about tossing one on when they went out to grab a drink.

and I would like to return to that aesthetic, but being as the prevailing fashion now is more towards jeans and less formality, I will leave the 3 piece suit, hat and tie at home when I go to the bar.

Davelli0331

Reaction score
I think you're 'trying too hard' to win this debate.
+1

Seriously though, a tie is a great men's accessory. Forty years ago men wouldn't have had a second thought about tossing one on when they went out to grab a drink. I just don't think its trying that hard if you want to wear one. Men should always feel free to wear a tie.
I completely agree with you. While a little off-subject, I have to say, however, that while some guys can definitely pull off a tie with jeans, it's a very precarious look and one for which I don't care overmuch. The guys who pull it off look really good, though.

Leverandon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
and I would like to return to that aesthetic, but being as the prevailing fashion now is more towards jeans and less formality, I will leave the 3 piece suit, hat and tie at home when I go to the bar.

That's a fair point, but what I will say is that if you like a certain aesthetic, you could actively try to bring it back. I started wearing ties more casually a couple of years ago and now most people in my circle of friends do as well. I'm not expecting three piece suits, fedoras, etc to be de rigeur for going out to a bar anytime soon, but gentlemen could work to bring ties back as a commonplace going out accessory without looking out of place.

jgold47

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Steven Aver
French Cuffs without a Jacket is a big NO for me, let alone Jeans.....
eh.gif

+1, well the jacket part. FC with Jeans and a sport coat seems ok to me. A bit off, but acceptable.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a newer look I guess then most are used to but I have done this before with both ties and open collar and I think the look works fine. As long as the shirts are tucked in with a decent belt to match.

just thoughts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
It is a newer look I guess then most are used to but I have done this before with both ties and open collar and I think the look works fine. As long as the shirts are tucked in with a decent belt to match.

+1

I rock this quite a bit, but I also only wear dark jeans.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear french cuffs with jeans often. With my new lab being a more casual place, I don't need to dress up. I do like the look of french cuffs, so I like to add them to my weekend wear with jeans. I don't do it with ties, but that is just my choice.

Acipenser

Reaction score
I only would like to wear french cuffs with a jacket as well. But only because I do not want to be too different than the environment. I think it can look good actually even witouth if the shirt is a little casual. But with jeans I definately would leave the tie home, no question
smile.gif

mt_spiffy

Reaction score
I wear jacket and tie with jeans quite often, but I cant imagine wearing french cuffs with this combination. I will wear french cuffs with jeans, no jacket and tie, or with a suit and tie of course.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
French cuffs + jacket + jeans - tie = yes

+1

Jeans can look really good with the right dress shirt... BUT... jeans and a tie will never, ever look good, case in point:

billy.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads