• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing Jeans with a French-Cuff Shirt? ...

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
From today's WSJ.

Q: What do you think about men wearing medium-wash jeans with French cuffs, tie and jacket? My husband thinks it is fine and fashion-forward. I think it is the equivalent of mullet dressing -- business on the top and party on the bottom. To me it just looks too incongruent, especially if it is a suit-coat-type jacket and not the most casual sport jacket. Thank you for possibly settling this issue between my husband and me.
"”M.K., Rapid City, S.D.

A: Men don't have to limit their French-cuff shirts to dressy business suits or formal wear. Think of the debonair former Gucci designer Tom Ford. He's been rocking French-cuff shirts without a tie as his signature look, inspiring many fashionable men to do the same.

For years, dashing gents in Rio de Janeiro, Rome and Madrid have long paired flat-front dress slacks with a fitted, open-collar, starched white shirt with French cuffs. It's an elegant sportswear look for warmer weather that Continentals favor for dining out and nightclubbing. They sometimes artfully drape a sport coat over their shoulders. It's an affectation that many American men might find a little too "La Dolce Vita." But on a slender, confident guy, this get-up has a certain panache.

Your husband's choice of jeans with his French-cuff shirt could work if he chooses crisp, dark denim jeans with a narrow silhouette. But just say no to faded, baggy denim -- no matter what he's wearing on top. And if he's really committed to wearing jeans, he should leave the tie off.

As for his choice of casual cuff links, he should regard them as an opportunity to express his personal style. He might pick tidy silk knot links, if he is understated, or flashier gold, silver or onyx cuff links if he is prone to a bit more flash.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123681038743900849.html

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Actually not terrible advice. Probably not officially iGent approved, but overall not bad advice given what's usually dished out in major publications.

Johnathan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
agreed, french cuff shirts with jeans is 100% fine, but no need for a tie.
Couldn't disagree more.

Steven Aver

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
French Cuffs without a Jacket is a big NO for me, let alone Jeans.....
eh.gif

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan
Couldn't disagree more.

If you are wearing jeans you are most likely not going somewhere that requires a tie. Wearing a tie to go to a bar or something is just a pathetic attempt at affectation.

awxg

Reaction score
Some people are able to pull it off nicely but I wouldn't even try. I don't want to appear confused.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
agreed, french cuff shirts with jeans is 100% fine, but no need for a tie.

But...what about a knit tie? Is that not casual enough? Especially if a fun pocket square is used to tone down the formality of the outfit.

+1 on the advice for not trying to pull off that "look" with a suit-like jacket.

Davelli0331

Reaction score
I've worn this look before. The problem is that without a jacket/blazer, it looks like you're headed to the club. Not bad if that's the look you want, but probably not office-appropriate.

Now, with a jacket/blazer, dark jeans that fit well, and the right shoes, I think it looks ok at the office.

awxg

Reaction score
French cuffs + jacket + jeans - tie = yes

Now that I think of it, this actually doesn't sound so bad. But replacing jeans with chinos or cords would be so much better.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Huge no, tacky, especially without jacket.

The square "chunk" of a French cuff at the end of a sleeve with no jacket is very jarring. You need an outer sleeve to balance it out. FC in general is a very fussy looking thing.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
But...what about a knit tie? Is that not casual enough? Especially if a fun pocket square is used to tone down the formality of the outfit.

+1 on the advice for not trying to pull off that "look" with a suit-like jacket.

This is presumably something you are wearing casually or to a bar, why would you ever wear a tie? I makes it look like you are trying way too hard.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davelli0331
I've worn this look before. The problem is that without a jacket/blazer, it looks like you're headed to the club. Not bad if that's the look you want, but probably not office-appropriate.

Now, with a jacket/blazer, dark jeans that fit well, and the right shoes, I think it looks ok at the office.

Jeans are never appropriate for my work, so this is not a workplace concern.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
Huge no, tacky, especially without jacket.

The square "chunk" of a French cuff at the end of a sleeve with no jacket is very jarring. You need an outer sleeve to balance it out. FC in general is a very fussy looking thing.

Did you read the link? She says he husband wears french cuffs with jeans A JACKET and a tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads