1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

wearing a suit w/ no tie to a wedding?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gqcao, Jun 18, 2006.

1. gqcao

gqcao Senior member

i have a wedding coming up. i'm just a regular guest; nothing special. since i've always wear a tie to weddings, this time i'm thinking of doing something different: wearing a suit with a nice french cuff shirt with no tie. is it too casual? i know almost everyone wear a suit or shirt and tie to a wedding. am i being disrespect for not wearing a tie??

2. WSW

WSW Senior member

I think you should still wear a tie with your suit, but have fun with it. Pick a tie that is more colorful or flashier than what you would wear to work. Wear a pocket square as well. If you do not wish to wear a tie, you could put on a sportcoat instead. Since it is the summer, perhaps you might want to go with some light colored linen or lightweight wool.

3. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Would be no disrespect. But for me that would be merely another one of those rare chances to wear one of my ties so I would not miss out the chance by going tieless [​IMG]

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Depends on the formality of the wedding. For a casual beach wedding, I'd say going tieless is a possibility. But for anything more formal than that, I'd suggest a tie. While no disrespect would be intended, I'm sure, it might not be received that way.

5. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

gqcao:

I'd wear the necktie!

And "respect" is a factor: We live in a complex, crowded society where considerate people dress appropriately for various places and occasions. Dressing appropriately is about respect for your fellow humans and our institutions.

Andy

6. gqcao

gqcao Senior member

i just hate it whenever i wear a suit and tie; i look and feel over-dressed for any occasion.

7. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

gqcao:

You look great! It's the other guys who are "under" dressed!

Andy

8. royal618

royal618 Senior member

You can never be over-dressed, only under-dressed.

Rock up to a game of football in a tux... sure, if you feel like it and if you need an 'out', you can say you're going to the opera that evening and you have to go straight from the game!

[​IMG]

9. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

i just hate it whenever i wear a suit and tie; i look and feel over-dressed for any occasion.

Your statement reminds me of something that Russell Smith wrote in his recent book Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress: It's not always about you. You dress appropriately for certain occasions to show respect for other people. If that's too much of an imposition, stay home.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

I don't know, if you are already going to bother with french cuffs, why not just add the tie

11. Sgt. Chic

Sgt. Chic Member

A velvet morning suit would be rather elegant provided you compliment it with the necessary amount of braggadocio.

12. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I don't know, if you are already going to bother with french cuffs, why not just add the tie

I agree.

13. Rampart

Rampart Senior member

I would also reccommend wearing a tie. I've been to a couple weddings where some guys didn't & it just doesn't seem to fit the occasion..

The reception however is another story. If you aren't closely connected to the event, I wouldn't see it being an issue.

Rpart

14. williamson

williamson Senior member

PLEASE don't wear a suit without a tie! This sloppy look has reached epidemic proportions. A tie gives the opportunity for colour and flair.
    If you don't want to wear a tie, don't wear a suit.
    W.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

Hey! Let's not go overboard here, what about casual Fridays?!

16. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Unless the wedding is specifically designated as casual, it would just come off as jackassy or arrogant.

17. GBR

GBR Senior member

i have a wedding coming up. i'm just a regular guest; nothing special. since i've always wear a tie to weddings, this time i'm thinking of doing something different: wearing a suit with a nice french cuff shirt with no tie. is it too casual? i know almost everyone wear a suit or shirt and tie to a wedding. am i being disrespect for not wearing a tie??

It entirely depends upon the nature of the ceremony and the principals.

If they are in full morning dress then this would be inappropriate, then you can range from a lounge suit to a a setting on a Caribbean beach.

Judge it against that

18. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

PLEASE don't wear a suit without a tie! This sloppy look has reached epidemic proportions. A tie gives the opportunity for colour and flair.
    If you don't want to wear a tie, don't wear a suit.
    W.

I do think there are occasions when you can go casual. I like clubbing with a suit sans tie and I don't think there is anything wrong with it. I know the more traditional members consider it a sartorial sin (and I agree it is, though whether it is mortal or venial is up for debate) but I like the look in that context. I just draw the line at more formal events.

Of course, given the amount of chinos/running shoes/button down shirts I've seen at weddings, wakes, funerals, etc., not wearing a tie with a suit is definitely a relative sin.

19. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Of course, given the amount of chinos/running shoes/button down shirts I've seen at weddings, wakes, funerals, etc., not wearing a tie with a suit is definitely a relative sin.

You make an interesting point. Yet, in many cases, I'd find myself more bothered by the lack of tie than by the chinos. Most folks I see in khakis at such events I assume don a jacket or tie rarely, if ever. For them, they are "dressed up." But if I were to see a guy in a suit with no tie, I'd assume he knew better but couldn't be bothered. The tie's absence, in its specificity, becomes an insult.

I'm sure I'm being too kind/vaguely patronizing to the khaki crowd at such events, but there you have it. My point, I suppose, is that dressing in a suit with no tie sends a very specific signal about how important you deem the event: "I could have worn a tie, but I didn't."

20. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I think you are being too kind. At least a suit with a tie presumes someone at least put some thought -- even if careless or insulting -- into what they were wearing. Showing up to a wake, as I saw some do so not long ago, wearing a golf shirt, chinos and running shoes sends the message that paying respect to the family rises to the same level as mowing your lawn. I could have danced in their blood that evening I was so disgusted.

Either way, I agree with you, it's incredibly disrespectful.