• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gqcao

Reaction score
i have a wedding coming up. i'm just a regular guest; nothing special. since i've always wear a tie to weddings, this time i'm thinking of doing something different: wearing a suit with a nice french cuff shirt with no tie. is it too casual? i know almost everyone wear a suit or shirt and tie to a wedding. am i being disrespect for not wearing a tie??

WSW

Reaction score
I think you should still wear a tie with your suit, but have fun with it. Pick a tie that is more colorful or flashier than what you would wear to work. Wear a pocket square as well. If you do not wish to wear a tie, you could put on a sportcoat instead. Since it is the summer, perhaps you might want to go with some light colored linen or lightweight wool.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would be no disrespect. But for me that would be merely another one of those rare chances to wear one of my ties so I would not miss out the chance by going tieless
biggrin.gif

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on the formality of the wedding. For a casual beach wedding, I'd say going tieless is a possibility. But for anything more formal than that, I'd suggest a tie. While no disrespect would be intended, I'm sure, it might not be received that way.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
gqcao:

I'd wear the necktie!

And "respect" is a factor: We live in a complex, crowded society where considerate people dress appropriately for various places and occasions. Dressing appropriately is about respect for your fellow humans and our institutions.

Andy

gqcao

Reaction score
i just hate it whenever i wear a suit and tie; i look and feel over-dressed for any occasion.

royal618

Reaction score
You can never be over-dressed, only under-dressed.

Rock up to a game of football in a tux... sure, if you feel like it and if you need an 'out', you can say you're going to the opera that evening and you have to go straight from the game!

wink.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gqcao
i just hate it whenever i wear a suit and tie; i look and feel over-dressed for any occasion.

Your statement reminds me of something that Russell Smith wrote in his recent book Men's Style: The Thinking Man's Guide to Dress: It's not always about you. You dress appropriately for certain occasions to show respect for other people. If that's too much of an imposition, stay home.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know, if you are already going to bother with french cuffs, why not just add the tie

Sgt. Chic

Reaction score
A velvet morning suit would be rather elegant provided you compliment it with the necessary amount of braggadocio.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I don't know, if you are already going to bother with french cuffs, why not just add the tie

I agree.

Rampart

Reaction score
I would also reccommend wearing a tie. I've been to a couple weddings where some guys didn't & it just doesn't seem to fit the occasion..

The reception however is another story. If you aren't closely connected to the event, I wouldn't see it being an issue.

Rpart

williamson

Reaction score
PLEASE don't wear a suit without a tie! This sloppy look has reached epidemic proportions. A tie gives the opportunity for colour and flair.
If you don't want to wear a tie, don't wear a suit.
W.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
PLEASE don't wear a suit without a tie!
Hey! Let's not go overboard here, what about casual Fridays?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads